Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    (Schuylkill County)

Default Where to go for the best gun prices

From my experience the place to go for the best prices is not to any gun shop, except to pick up the gun, but to buy the gun its best to do it over the internet. Websites such as gunauction.com or gunbroker.com or grabagun.com or other such sites, basically your eBay for guns, will get you the best gun prices, or at least I've got some of the best prices from those and other internet sites. Even with the transfer fee you will often be paying far less than if you bought the gun at the gun shop.

Now as for transfer fees, since when you go to the gun shop to pick up your gun after you buy it the gun shop will charge you a transfer fee, both Cabela's in Hamburg and 507 Outfitters in Easton charge a $25 transfer fee which is among the lowest I've seen. From what I know gun shops usually charge at least $50 for transfers, I've seen some transfer fees as high as $60 so Cabela's and 507 have some of the best transfer fees. Im not sure of some of the other gun shops in PA such as Grice in Clearfield and what they might charge. And, if you're picking up your gun at Cabela's you can stock up on ammo too. Its been discussed here before that Cabela's is way overpriced on guns and I agree with that. That is why I usually do not buy guns at Cabela's anymore unless they're running a really good deal as they do from time to time but Cabela's does have really good ammo prices from what I've seen so from my experience Cabela's is not good for guns but they're good for ammo.

(Lycoming County)

Default Re: Where to go for the best gun prices

Quote Originally Posted by Photon Guy View Post
    From my experience the place to go for the best prices is not to any gun shop, except to pick up the gun, but to buy the gun its best to do it over the internet. Websites such as gunauction.com or gunbroker.com or grabagun.com or other such sites, basically your eBay for guns, will get you the best gun prices, or at least I've got some of the best prices from those and other internet sites. Even with the transfer fee you will often be paying far less than if you bought the gun at the gun shop.

Now as for transfer fees, since when you go to the gun shop to pick up your gun after you buy it the gun shop will charge you a transfer fee, both Cabela's in Hamburg and 507 Outfitters in Easton charge a $25 transfer fee which is among the lowest I've seen. From what I know gun shops usually charge at least $50 for transfers, I've seen some transfer fees as high as $60 so Cabela's and 507 have some of the best transfer fees. Im not sure of some of the other gun shops in PA such as Grice in Clearfield and what they might charge. And, if you're picking up your gun at Cabela's you can stock up on ammo too. Its been discussed here before that Cabela's is way overpriced on guns and I agree with that. That is why I usually do not buy guns at Cabela's anymore unless they're running a really good deal as they do from time to time but Cabela's does have really good ammo prices from what I've seen so from my experience Cabela's is not good for guns but they're good for ammo.
    In my experience buying person to person is usually where I've found the best deals. The classifieds here are a good place to start, also from others I've known. GunBroker and the other auction sites generally are pretty pricey from my experience. I've bought from other online places before that did have deals though. My local shop is usually within $20 of most online prices, so they get the bulk of my business. They also have good prices on used guns and are generally willing to deal with me on them. I don't buy New very often anymore, so that is always a bonus.

Try supporting the little guy every so often. If the only business they ever get is $25 transfers, you might find that nobody's left to do a transfer in the future.

(Philadelphia County)

I prefer to support my local LGS by buying my guns direct from them. I prefer the personal service and the ability to compare different arms. May not be the cheapest bottom line price, I'm willing to pay the extra.
    Corruptissima re publica plurimae leges

(Mercer County)

I use https://gun.deals to get idea what other dealers are asking, then go to my local ffl to see if they can get and their price. If they can get around same price order directly through them, if not order online and transfer through them so they still make some money.

(Carbon County)

Quote Originally Posted by Sparks View Post
    I prefer to support my local LGS by buying my guns direct from them. I prefer the personal service and the ability to compare different arms. May not be the cheapest bottom line price, I'm willing to pay the extra.
    agreed
    Ecclesiastes 10:2 ...........

(Schuylkill County)

Quote Originally Posted by R L Suehr View Post
    They also have good prices on used guns and are generally willing to deal with me on them. I don't buy New very often anymore, so that is always a bonus.
    The only time I bought a used gun was when I bought my Remington .375 H&H rifle since I couldn't find a new one. This "used" rifle had been used as a demonstration gun so although it was technically considered used it was in near mint condition, it had been fired maybe two or three times at the most. Still since it was classified as used I got it for about $200 less than if I had bought it new. A really good deal if you ask me.

Quote Originally Posted by R L Suehr View Post
    Try supporting the little guy every so often. If the only business they ever get is $25 transfers, you might find that nobody's left to do a transfer in the future.
    Im not sure hoe much of a profit a gun shop gets for every time it sells a gun. Lets say they sell a gun for $700, they obviously aren't going to pocket $700 for the gun sale, most of the money I believe would go to the company that manufactured the gun, and then there's all sorts of overhead costs. So Im not sure if their profit would be much more than $25.
    But, when I do have a gun transferred to me through a gun shop, I will usually buy other stuff at the gun shop such as ammo.

(Chester County)

Well, those of us here on the east side have Tanner's. Their everyday prices on the tags match or beat the internet prices on most guns. You don't even have to haggle. Some examples - I've gotten a taurus tcp with two mags for 199 when the best price online was 229. I got a para expert 1911 for $399 when everyone else was $450 or higher, and just got a cz75 sa for $525, the best online price was $550.
    For anything I can't get at tanners I have a kitchen table FFL a half mile away that charges $30 for NRA member transfers.

(Monroe County)

http://www.galleryofguns.com/Genie/Default.aspx to do a price check.

A.F. Boyer, Slatington

(Warren County)

Internet classifieds has been my best pricing friend.

Occasionally a yard sale / gunshop find, but most of my buys come from Rennug.com
    http://classifieds.rennug.com//classifieds/index.cgi
    American by BIRTH, Infidel by CHOICE

(Lancaster County)

Internet is always the best provided you get a good price on the transfer, That being said I'd sooner spend a couple bucks more and support my LGS and keep the money flowing locally. Unless the price difference is absurd (in which case your lgs might be overcharging to begin with....or cabela's) I generally like to shop locally. Everyone is different with different needs though.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast