Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    (Delaware County)

Default Re: Anyone have to travel to and from NJ on the regular?

Quote Originally Posted by sbmania View Post
    So if you are "moving" to your beach home for the week, would that be covered?
    AFAIK, your residence is what is listed on your drivers license, or other state issued ID, so no, going to the beach for a week wouldn't qualify as your residence (unless it's your 'official' residence) In any event NJ just passed more anti-gun laws and is one of the most anti-gun states in the country I wouldn't even think of taking a gun to NJ. I've been invited to traps shoots in NJ and would be covered under the law to go, but will not go, ever.

(Jefferson County)

So if you are "moving" to your beach home for the week, would that be covered?
    A week's stay isn't "moving". It is a visit, a vacation, a temporary change in dwellings that you will sleep in.

"Moving" would constitute a full change in residency.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Chester County)

Even if you own the home and not just rent it?

(Delaware County)

Read the below.
    State v. Hatch, 64 N.J. at 184-85. When dealing with guns, the citizen acts at his peril.
    Read it again.
    State v. Hatch, 64 N.J. at 184-85. When dealing with guns, the citizen acts at his peril.
    Once more.
    Got it? Good.

(Jefferson County)

Yes. Owning land/houses in other states does mean you are a dual resident. The only "dual residency" recognized are college students.

You are resident of the state that you, well, reside in. Visiting one of your properties for a short term is not residing, nor are you "moving" there.

Snowbirds on the other hand, that go south for the winter, are residents in the south because of the long term stay. A few days, a couple weeks, and probably a month's stay really doesn't constitute residency.

For future references, when a gun related question revolves around the states of MA, RI, CT, NY, NJ, MD, IL, CA, HI, and Washington DC - the answer is generally No. ...certain rare exceptions apply.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Susquehanna County)

And be aware that concerning the Federal Transportation of Firearms Act:
    -From a place you are legally allowed to possess firearm to a place you are legally allowed to posses the firearm..
    ie passing THROUGH enemy territories
    Not passing into enemy territories and returning

- One must still abide by any other local enemy territorial laws aka Magazine laws, ammunition laws, firearm type laws etc etc.

While LEOS under LEOSA are now LEGALLY safe from some of the above mentioned..
    Hornady Critical Defense and now Fort Scott are the recommended not really a hollow point ammo for travel into these foreign lands

And some places like New York will still arrest you and confiscate your firearm.. Once yo make it to your day in court it will most likely be thrown out, IF YOU FOLLOWED the Federal transportation of Firearms Act.. but your firearm will be held prisoner for eternity
    Retired US Army
    NRA Life Member, GOA, USCCA
    "Artificial intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity"

(Chester County)

So let me back up one more step. If one owns a beach home in nj and stays there from time to time, is that person legally allowed to possess a handgun at the nj beach home? Having transported it to and from unloaded and locked in the trunk?
    I was told the answer to this is yes by a retired fbi agent and current ffl in nj. But I would like others with knowledge to weigh in.

(Susquehanna County)

IANAL
    I would ask the NJ SP or NJ AG's office and get it in writing, aka email with POC Rank, name and telephone #s incase any other LEO you come into contact with says differently.

My understanding is you CANNOT have those toys without a NJ Firearms card (and those are only for a limited few) or LEO on duty or LEOSA..
    Retired US Army
    NRA Life Member, GOA, USCCA
    "Artificial intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity"

(Chester County)

Aren't FOID cards available to NJ residents only? If the summer home is not your main residence then I don't think you can get a FOID card. Do you have an NJ driver's license? Do you file your Fed, and State taxes using your NJ address?

(Lackawanna County)

Reasons not to bring a gun into New Jersey.

1. I don't like Prison.

2. I can't afford the Attorney's fees, even after I pay him, I'm still going to prison.

3. I prefer my sphincter to remain functioning.

4. Nothing worth seeing other than the USS New Jersey.

Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. Voltaire.
    America must suffer until it reaches the point that Liberty is more important than Comforts.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast