Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    (Schuylkill County)

Default Re: cnn teen panel on gun control

Quote Originally Posted by Emptymag View Post
    I'm finding a common theme - kids and anti-gun adults alike:

Ban assault rifles, but "handguns are OK - that's what the second amendment is about."

I've heard those exact words several times in completely different video sources.
    Is someone feeding that talking point to them?
    Before they wanted to take away our rifles they wanted to take away our handguns. They still want to take away our handguns but for now they are going after the more demonized target.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Anyone else think those girls are wearing ear pieces? Sounds to me like four out of those six kids were coached.
    Aggies Coach Really ??? Take off the tin foil bro.

Quote Originally Posted by GeneCC View Post
    Pretty damn cynical to use kid as stalking horses.

I'm starting to wonder if the gun control lobby is running out of gas. They ran out of new ideas years ago.
    They don't need any new ideas, alot of pro-2A folks keep getting suckered into giving them what they want. Look at the Parkland group and their rally.

-They set up an absurd premise about guns and the people who own them.
    -Simultaneously launch a smear campaign to ruin the credibility of the group they just targeted
    -When said group attempts to defend itself they are viewed as "attacking" the group that slandered them in the first place.
    -Smugly pat themselves on the back for being "brave" as the group who claims to be the good guys talk about killing the people who come after their guns
    This time they played into the warped progressive ideal that victims, in this case the kids, are granted a magical shield from scrutiny and if you even suggest that their message is misguided, you're the bad guy. That's why they're so quick to throw out the race card or the gay card or the woman card. Being perceived as "attacking" a group of people who are already viewed as victims of oppression is a strong tactic and it works.

Its a self fulfilling prophecy. They achieved their exact goal with gun owners' cooperation: to paint gun owners as violent psychopaths who are just itching for the moment when they can kill people.

All of the talk about the difference between this gun and that gun and protecting against tyranny falls on deaf ears. You can't educate people who don't want to be educated, and in their mind you come across as a smug asshole for trying to.
    I think we get distracted from what the real issue is. A kid came into a school and killed other kids. Yes, he could have done the same thing with a plethora of other guns widely available to citizens. There's a possibility it wouldn't have happened had he not been old enough to buy an AR15, but the core fact remains that he came into the school armed. The solution from a realistic security standpoint is to keep armed people out of schools (no, not the good guys). That's where the message should be diverted to. Armed teachers or other personnel in schools should be utilized, but that's a last resort measure. By the time you have to resort to the "good guy with the gun" shooting the bad guy, your security has already failed on so many levels.
    Last edited by Keith A; March 29th, 2018 at 06:49 AM.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by Keith A View Post
    By the time you have to resort to the "good guy with the gun" shooting the bad guy, your security has already failed on so many levels.
    QFT

(York County)

I may be wrong, but there is probably a percentage of the anti-gun kids, deep inside, want to blame the gun, so they don't have to feel guilty about bullying/treating others like garbage.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Rook View Post
    I may be wrong, but there is probably a percentage of the anti-gun kids, deep inside, want to blame the gun, so they don't have to feel guilty about bullying/treating others like garbage.
    You may be wrong, but perhaps you may be onto something.

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by Rook View Post
    Of course they do. The one thing that was speaking admitted to bullying the kid that did the shooting. Shortly after the shooting there were all kinds of things posted about the bullying that the kids engaged in. They obviously don't feel that they're partially to blame. Klebold and Harris were bullied through school too and their primary targets were the bullies. I don't condone their actions, but I can understand why they did it.

All these anti-bullying initiatives that the schools are doing just aren't working, and it's mostly because the bullying is lead by the teachers.
    Rules are written in the stone,
    Break the rules and you get no bones,
    all you get is ridicule, laughter,
    and a trip to the house of pain.

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by streaker69 View Post
    Of course they do. The one thing that was speaking admitted to bullying the kid that did the shooting. Shortly after the shooting there were all kinds of things posted about the bullying that the kids engaged in. They obviously don't feel that they're partially to blame. Klebold and Harris were bullied through school too and their primary targets were the bullies. I don't condone their actions, but I can understand why they did it.

All these anti-bullying initiatives that the schools are doing just aren't working, and it's mostly because the bullying is lead by the teachers.
    The bullying aspect to columbine I believe has been debunked. They also killed sporadically, not picking targets. I think their first victim was a special needs kid in a wheelchair?

America refuses to believe normal kids could do what they did so the myth of them being outsiders and "goth" kids makes it easier to believe.
    Una Salus Victis Nullam Sperare Salutem

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by lts1ow View Post
    The bullying aspect to columbine I believe has been debunked. They also killed sporadically, not picking targets. I think their first victim was a special needs kid in a wheelchair?

America refuses to believe normal kids could do what they did so the myth of them being outsiders and "goth" kids makes it easier to believe.
    Right, because it's perfectly normal kids just go out and start killing. There's something that triggers people into such action, normal people don't go on killing sprees. Exactly who debunked the reasons for Columbine, the same people that called those two "the trenchcoat mafia" in a loving and friendly way? Personally I think there's multiple causes for "normal" kids go on sprees, bullying, combined with psychotropic drugs, combined with absentee parenting, combined with the schools basically not caring about the students they claim to care so much about it.

Apparently "america" isn't actually interested in actually looking into the real reasons these things happen. Instead we have these constant battles that it's the gun's fault. If people wanted to have an actual conversation about school shooting violence we need to stop talking about guns and start talking about the factors that isolate kids, make them feel worthless and cause them to lash out violently.
    Rules are written in the stone,
    Break the rules and you get no bones,
    all you get is ridicule, laughter,
    and a trip to the house of pain.

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by streaker69 View Post
    Right, because it's perfectly normal kids just go out and start killing. There's something that triggers people into such action, normal people don't go on killing sprees. Exactly who debunked the reasons for Columbine, the same people that called those two "the trenchcoat mafia" in a loving and friendly way? Personally I think there's multiple causes for "normal" kids go on sprees, bullying, combined with psychotropic drugs, combined with absentee parenting, combined with the schools basically not caring about the students they claim to care so much about it.

Apparently "america" isn't actually interested in actually looking into the real reasons these things happen. Instead we have these constant battles that it's the gun's fault. If people wanted to have an actual conversation about school shooting violence we need to stop talking about guns and start talking about the factors that isolate kids, make them feel worthless and cause them to lash out violently.
    I did not mean they were normal in the head, just meant they were normal to outsiders.

Check out the book Columbine, they wanted to be bombers first, rack up body count second. Cept they sucked at making bombs.

Edit: I know its slate, but fairly decent article
    http://www.slate.com/articles/news_a...sychopath.html

Def not saying they were normal in the head, just saying a lot of early misconceptions about the whole thing came quasi truths.
    Una Salus Victis Nullam Sperare Salutem

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast