Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: AR Pistol

Default Re: AR Pistol

If you need a few good build videos for uppers and lowers check out NSZ85 on YouTube his vids are excellent. I also agree with the others for a non serious use plinking pistol there's no need to spend $1800.00 unless you have too much money weighing your pockets down.

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=NSZ85

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by Emptymag View Post
    Looks cool. I've heard the name, but can't comment on the brand.
    About $100 more than a PSA upper and you still need a BCG and charging handle with the Hardened Arms upper.

I hate rails, but that design is nice because it's just the short sections out front. Just depends on where you like to grip the thing.
    Keeping your hand back from the front has it's advantages though on a short barrel setup.
    Mounting things to it may set the item out further than using M-Lok or Keymod slots. Just a random thought.
    Yes it is a bit more than a PSA upper, this is my first short barrel setup so not sure where i will like to grip it. Will just keep looking to see what catches the eye. Like I said I am not going to rush it. Thanks

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by Hodgie View Post
    If you need a few good build videos for uppers and lowers check out NSZ85 on YouTube his vids are excellent. I also agree with the others for a non serious use plinking pistol there's no need to spend $1800.00 unless you have too much money weighing your pockets down.

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=NSZ85
    No such thing as too much money holding down my pockets lol. That is why I am leaning towards half building lol

(Montgomery County)

here is one from PSA I am looking at, which is a good bit cheaper than the Hardened Arms

http://palmettostatearmory.com/psa-1...165447973.html

(Philadelphia County)

I can tell you I bought a Psa 10.5 upper and put it on an aero lower with shockwave blade.

I can understand not building but the upper works very well. I hear a lot of people argue over the quality but 500 rounds in and it has never had a problem. I’ve also been shooting some wolf steel ammo without a hiccup. Accuracy is good but I haven’t shot it further than 20 yards because I only have access to an indoor range. It doesn’t have the fn barrel so when it wears out I will look into upgrading that part but the other pieces seem pretty damn good to go.

I would recommend the Kak muzzle break. As the shooter you will not notice the noise difference but everyone else will hear a much louder shot.
    Last edited by Christen; March 27th, 2018 at 10:58 AM.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by rob m View Post
    here is one from PSA I am looking at, which is a good bit cheaper than the Hardened Arms

http://palmettostatearmory.com/psa-1...165447973.html
    Heavy barrel.

Read up on pros and cons of a heavy barrel.
    As I understand it, they "retain zero" better than a lighter/thinner barrel under rapid fire.
    That's the theory anyway and I don't know what constitutes "rapid fire".

I have one 16" carbine with a HBAR (heavy barrel) profile - my first AR15. I didn't know anything about barrel profiles at the time and always assumed that all AR15s weighed the same.
    Holy hell - when I built another AR using a standard M4 profile I realized just how much heavier my first carbine was.
    That original gun is not one that I'd choose to carry around if I had to.

Clearly a PISTOL barrel is going to weigh less, but there will still be a difference.
    My pistol pictured earlier uses a heavy barrel and the pistol is heavier than you would think by looking at it.
    Maybe that has a positive effect though - perhaps it helps keep the muzzle from climbing?

I'm not a barrel expert, or an AR15 expert by any means. Just sharing some things I've discovered over the course of seven builds.
    Last edited by Emptymag; March 27th, 2018 at 07:09 PM. Reason: "19 inch carbine" DOH!

Any benefits a heavy barrel may have had is lost in a shortened pistol configuration. The pistol will be awkwardly balanced and front heavy especially if you use a brace vs a true stock.
    Last edited by Hodgie; March 27th, 2018 at 11:33 AM.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Hodgie View Post
    Any benefits a heavy barrel may have had is lost in a shortened pistol configuration. The pistol will be awkwardly balanced and front heavy especially if you use a brace vs a true stock.

Mine has the added "benefit" of additional weight in the form of the PWS CQB Comp on top of the already heavy barrel.
    Doing it again, I would not choose a heavy barrel.
    It's not really that bad to shoot - not like I thought it may be. (my assumption would be just as you described)
    If I were using a pistol tube with foam to rest my cheek on, it wouldn't be as shootable.

I've shot it using my cheek against the Shockwave Blade and it's not terrible, but shouldering the Blade makes it a non-issue.

That said, mine is a 7.5" barrel. Perhaps a longer pistol barrel would throw more weight towards the front?

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by Emptymag View Post
    Heavy barrel.

Read up on pros and cons of a heavy barrel.
    As I understand it, they "retain zero" better than a lighter/thinner barrel under rapid fire.
    That's the theory anyway and I don't know what constitutes "rapid fire".

I have one 19" carbine with a HBAR (heavy barrel) profile - my first AR15. I didn't know anything about barrel profiles at the time and always assumed that all AR15s weighed the same.
    Holy hell - when I built another AR using a standard M4 profile I realized just how much heavier my first carbine was.
    That original gun is not one that I'd choose to carry around if I had to.

Clearly a PISTOL barrel is going to weigh less, but there will still be a difference.
    My pistol pictured earlier uses a heavy barrel and the pistol is heavier than you would think by looking at it.
    Maybe that has a positive effect though - perhaps it helps keep the muzzle from climbing?

I'm not a barrel expert, or an AR15 expert by any means. Just sharing some things I've discovered over the course of seven builds.
    See this is why i post before buying. lol thanks

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by rob m View Post
    See this is why i post before buying. lol thanks

Cripes. You should see MY build thread. Must go on for a few dozen pages of me asking stupid questions and everyone discussing various things as we went along.

I'll come back and post a link. Most of the photos are gone because of Photobucket, but maybe there's something there that would be useful...

EDIT:
    Here's my thread debating a 9mm vs 5.56 pistol build. (if you get bored. LOL)

Nevermind. The "question and answer thread isn't the one I thought it was.
    Last edited by Emptymag; March 27th, 2018 at 01:02 PM.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast