Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Chester County)

Default .40 vs .45 opinions?

I’m looking for opinions on .40 vs .45. This is not about 1911s vs striker pistols. I have a bunch of 9mm pistols and was looking to add either a .40 or .45. I carry a .45 at work and train with that the most. I know .40 is cheaper. Which do you guys prefer? I found pistols I like chambered in both.
    "The Constitution is the guide which I will not abandon.” - George Washington

(Beaver County)

Default Re: .40 vs .45 opinions?

I take the 45 version of any gun so I can throw the barrel away and convert it to 9x25 Dillon.

On a lighter side 40 cal is practically dead from an ammo and reloading standpoint.

Hell I sell more 38' than 40. 40 may be the slowest selling (popular/current) round produced.
    www.Steelvalleycasting.com is your new home for coated bullets and custom ammo.

(Montgomery County)

I'm more curious what your motivation is for expanding into a new caliber at home.

Personally, I've never owned a .45. I used to own about 5 .40s at one time but I'm down to two now, a G27 and G35, and both of which see little use. The rest of my centerfire pistols are 9mm, excluding revolvers and rifle caliber pistols.

When the shelves were cleaned out of ammo a few years back, there was always a box or two of .40 hanging around and it wasn't overly inflated in price, so I've got a good deal of it in stock and will therefore probably always have at least one .40 pistol, but it's not what I carry anymore.

I went to 9mm because it's cheaper to train with, fits an extra round or two in the magazine and is not noticeably weaker in terms of terminal ballistics. I feel the same applies when comparing it to .45, but an even greater difference in capacity. Now, if I were to get into suppressors, I'd probably get a .45. Subsonic ammo obviously shoots quieter suppressed and 9mm relies upon speed to make up its energy and not its weight. Slow down the 9mm, the .45 may shine a bit brighter in comparison. I'm not an expert on that subject but it seems to make sense.

So, I guess I can see more of a reason down the road to want to try .45 than expand my inventory of .40s. But, .40 has the advantage of being easily converted to other calibers if having one very versatile pistol interests you. A Glock in .40 can be altered to shoot 9 and .357 sig with a barrel swap and a magazine.

Not sure if any of that helps, but "because I want it" also works as well as anything.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by DucatiRon View Post
    I take the 45 version of any gun so I can throw the barrel away and convert it to 9x25 Dillon.

On a lighter side 40 cal is practically dead from an ammo and reloading standpoint.

Hell I sell more 38' than 40. 40 may be the slowest selling (popular/current) round produced.
    Folks who reload tend to like the .40 from what I've seen, a friend of mine uses it in competition because it makes power factor easily for his matches even if he loads it down a bit.

The interest in the cartridge waned after the FBI went back to 9mm. This could be taken advantage of though, because a lot of perfectly usable pistols in .40 are out there and dirt cheap because they're not in demand.

OP, get both, LOL.

(Beaver County)

40 cal does make major power factor easier. But that's only a concern if your a competition shooter.

Generally speaking though it's still kinda dead. But lots of cheap Sigs in 40 cal do exist.
    www.Steelvalleycasting.com is your new home for coated bullets and custom ammo.

I think .40 is great, but I like .45, too. It all depends on what you shoot it out of.

I've gone through several .40 cal guns before finding a couple that worked really well for me. My first handgun was a Glock 22. Didn't like the grip angle or the slide bite, so I got rid of it. I bought an H&K USP in .40. Didn't like how that felt or shot, so I traded it for a Sig P239. The P239 is an excellent gun in .40 S&W. Very soft shooting, very accurate. Only issue, it's heavy and single stack. I also own a Sig SP2022 in .40 S&W. It is one of my favorite guns, and it's THE gun I would grab in a SHTF situation. It's also one of the softest shooting .40 cal handguns I've ever owned or shot. My P239 in .40 is pretty close. I have an M&P in .40 that I bought as a host for a .357 Sig barrel. It's snappy shooting .40 and .357. Normally the ergonomics of the M&P make it a great shooter (like in 9mm and .45), but not so much in .40 (or .357 Sig).

In .45 there's the 1911, which is the perfect gun for the round. But I like shooting .45 out of my S&W 325 revolver and my Sig P227.

I say there's room in life for both calibers. Why limit yourself to just one?

(Bucks County)

I have several in both calibers. Not really much difference between the two rounds.

(Bucks County)

I have several 9mms, a couple of 22LRs and a 1911 in 45ACP. When I go to the range I bring one of each caliber. Not only are they different calibers, but they are completely different types of pistols. I enjoy the variety

Long way of saying, if my 45ACP was a striker-based 40, it would not make it to the range.

YMMV of course. I think it depends on why you want "another caliber" in the first place.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by DucatiRon View Post

I guess i am the last 40 hold out. Just loaded 500 of your powder coated 40's.

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by Twoboxer View Post
    I have several 9mms, a couple of 22LRs and a 1911 in 45ACP. When I go to the range I bring one of each caliber. Not only are they different calibers, but they are completely different types of pistols. I enjoy the variety

Long way of saying, if my 45ACP was a striker-based 40, it would not make it to the range.

YMMV of course. I think it depends on why you want "another caliber" in the first place.
    Diversity
    "The Constitution is the guide which I will not abandon.” - George Washington

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast