Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Northampton County)

Default Positive experiences to introducing youth to guns to better our 2A future

I have been thinking it would be great to create or support youth gun related programs. Kind of like boy scouts or 4H type of thing with the main thing to do with shooting and gun safety. I figure this would introduce gun safety, respect, and normal kind of appreciation toward guns that has been disengaged from the current society. I hear people mention all the time how they used to have riffle teams in high school. The generation of people who had this seem to appreciate guns as an American privilege and had respected and valued this. Our current political state has uninformed people scared of these "death machines".

I haven't put too much thought into this but perhaps a youth shooting league at local gun ranges would help to encourage our future (the youth) to regain the appreciation for guns and our freedoms as Americans. I feel we do not have an organized venue for youth to be introduced to safe gun related sports. If we do not encourage our youth to be gun friendly we will have more and more of our population grow and drink the cool-aid as they get older.

Perhaps an AR15 youth shooting league...

Thoughts?

(Monroe County)

Default Re: Positive experiences to introducing youth to guns to better our 2A future

http://www.minsitrails.org/camping/s...g-sports/61386

Local to you we could use all sorts of support from volunteers for instructors, RSO, merit badge councilors, money or gun donations.
    We are trying to bring Cowboy action to the local camps. So we would need targets, and general range building materials.
    Also working in the early stage of starting a Shooting specific Venture Crew that needs an charter org, places and materials to shoot/with.
    Next committee meeting is this Monday 26MAR at the council HQ on postal road by the airport at 1900. Stop by.
    BSA has started a pistol program -no badge but it teaches safety and fundamentals.

Start them young- the Cub Scouts are desperate for BB gun instructors for camps both summer and day camps.

The weeks I was an rifle instructor at camp was the best thing I ever did with my military training and experience and to see a Scout show his dad 5- 5 shot groups under the size of a quarter or even a dime and dad says "ok now we get you a rifle" Brings a tear of joy to my eye and a liberal cry also.

CMP has an program also.
    Owner Trigger Time LLc 01 FFL/NFA Saylorsburg, PA. Sales/Service/Transfers/Training
    NRA CRSO/Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun inst. BSA Rifle/Shotgun Merit badge counselor. US Navy Marksmanship Team Staff

(Northampton County)

Default Re: Positive experiences to introducing youth to guns to better our 2A future

Yes, these are the things we need more and more of. I'm glad to hear your passion behind this too Bob. I need to make some time and educate myself on how I could do my duty in something like this.

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by chinaboy View Post
    Yes, these are the things we need more and more of. I'm glad to hear your passion behind this too Bob. I need to make some time and educate myself on how I could do my duty in something like this.
    Thanks,
    New shooters what ever the age are my favorite to take to the range. You don't need to have a kid in scouts to be involved.
    Owner Trigger Time LLc 01 FFL/NFA Saylorsburg, PA. Sales/Service/Transfers/Training
    NRA CRSO/Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun inst. BSA Rifle/Shotgun Merit badge counselor. US Navy Marksmanship Team Staff

(Chester County)

http://www.sccysl.com/

I help out as an RSO with this organization. You would be amazed at what kids are capable of.
    Boy, I say boy, you're reaching the limits of my medication!

(Wayne County)

While I was a leader for 6 years, I was a shooting sports instructor...BB gun is ALWAYS the #1 favorite activity. Archery #2 and blow guns #3.

I'm no longer a leader, but have taught several yoots gun safety and responsible shooting...some parents as well.

There is an annual NEPA Youth shoot competition at the Archbald range; it was put on by the state rep (a D for the times we went) but now is non partisan. For youths from 10-18, different age brackets. 75 yards...10 practice rounds, 10 off the bench and 10 freehand. You bring a rifle (.22lr, non heavy barrel, non semi auto), iron sights and scope divisions. They supply the ammo, food, beverages, range officers, an officer for each shooter, door prizes and a raffle at the end (each participant gets a ticket). Our youngest has won 3 rifles in his 3 years going, oldest usually takes second in his age group. They also have displays; IE SWAT vehicles, Emergency Service Vehicles, etc. Last year they had a drug sniffing dog.

My buddy and I go each year and set up a tent and make a day of it...lots of fun for us and the kids.

The American Legion nearby has a monthly youth BB gun shoot with awards, games and prizes, followedby a adult and youth shotgun shoot.

(Monroe County)

My Troop and Rod and Gun also help out at the Monroe County Youth Field Day. Yes the ranges are open.
    http://www.mcyfd.org/

(York County)

There is also: www.usashooting.org teaching and competing young men and women from grade school to
    high school to college in Trap, Skeet, Sporting Clays, and several other disciplines to Olympics. I know that their are Varsity and Junior Varsity High School teams in York County. I remember a friend donating a couple of over/
    under shotguns to clubs.
    FUNDAMENTALS

"All that is needed for Evil to Prevail is for Good Men to
    do Nothing"

(Bucks County)

Our gun range has youth events once a month, it's heavily attended. It's most .22LR shoots with lots of metal plates and objects off in a distance.
    "I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery." Thomas Jefferson