Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default My polymer hang up: I'm slowly getting over it

I'm not an old timer yet, but I've never been a fan of the use of polymer for firearms. All of the guns I've owned are constructed of steel or alloy and wood.

I think the main reason for my avoidance of polymer is the sentiment that polymer is a 'temporary' material when compared to steel and even aluminum. Some of my 'tools' are purchased with the assumption that they will be used for a finite period, and then discarded before the materials themselves degrade. My computer, my cell phone, my shoes, even my car. However, I do not view firearms like this.

My dad purchased a Browning A-5 back in the 70's. Almost 50 years later, it sits inside my own safe and it is in sound condition and will be the same way in another 50 years. My great-grandfather's LC smith was purchased sometime around 1930. Almost 100 years later, it sits in my safe, and it is in sound condition (although I would not fire modern full power loads through that gun). This is how I view firearms.

Today's polymer formulas are indeed very good. But I suspect that even a polymer frame purchased today (2020) may not be in sound condition for my daughter's use, or her kids' use, or her kids' kids' use, in the same way that my father's and great grandfather's firearms are still here.

Recently, I relented and purchased a Beretta PX4 storm Subcompact. I do see the practical benefits of a polymer frame; lightweight, durable to impacts, inexpensive. Still, whenever I carry the little Storm, it just 'feels' disposable compared to my Colt 1911 or Beretta 92.

I think this will not be the last polymer frame I will purchase. But I do think of my polymer gun in a different way than I think about the others.

Anybody share the same sentiments?

(Bucks County)

Default Re: My polymer hang up: I'm slowly getting over it

Polymer gun is much more comfortable to carry, due to the lower weight.

There are a lot of fully functional 36 year old Glocks still out there today. Glocks aren't heirlooms or really any other mass production pistols Polly or metal framed so I think your putting way to much thought into it. There are very few people out there that can claim they completely wore out a pistol from standard use.

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by American1776 View Post
    I’m old school on many things, although my guns are mostly evil and black... except for my Henry lever gun and Remington shotguns, which have wood furniture.

(Allegheny County)

Bury a poly gun next to a steel gun then dig it up in 100 years. Bet the poly looks ok and the steel frame is unidentifiable.

At least that's what they said about 6 pack rings and plastic water bottles.

(Lehigh County)

Quote Originally Posted by DukeConnor View Post
    Bury a poly gun next to a steel gun then dig it up in 100 years. Bet the poly looks ok and the steel frame is unidentifiable.

At least that's what they said about 6 pack rings and plastic water bottles.
    It depends on how much cosmoline and wrapping you put on them...
    Illegitimus non carborundum est

Didn't someone run 90 thousand rounds through an HK P30? Yeah, I'm OK with polymer.

In fact... come to think of it, I no longer own a non-polymer pistol.
    Life has a melody. Not great, not terrible.

(Lancaster County)

I used to feel exactly like that till about the time of Obamas first coronation, I finally decided I needed a modern 21st century pistol before they may go away ??? started with an HK USP Compact and later an FN FNX 45,now my polymers out number the steel/alloy. I still have my "heirloom" pieces of steel and wood in my revolvers and some long arms.

I also thought I'd never own a Bolt Action with a polimer/synthetic stock, now I own some, still have a few bright blue and walnut

I even thought at one time that liquid cooled motorcycles where useless, boy was I wrong! I'd never own another air cooled MC or ATV

We all evolve at sometime

(Jefferson County)

25years ago I had a small dislike for poly guns. ....25 years ago. I do still joke around and call poly guns "tupperware", but that is all in humor.

If I intend to carry it, I tend to lean towards the poly these days. Except for revolvers, they gotta be metal. I have Hank Hill Syndrome - no ass to keep my pants up. The lighter it is, the more I can walk without having to pull my pants back up.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Chester County)

I own one Tupperware gun. The rest are real. If I defend myself with the Tupperware and it gets tossed around in a Police evidence locker and it comes back to me all effed up, no big loss I bought it to be expendable. As for the weight of a metal frame gun...? I don't know, maybe there's too much soy is getting into the food chain.
    Corruption is the default behavior of government officials. JPC

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast