Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    (Mercer County)

Default Marlin 336 Pro & Cons

I am considering purchasing the Marlin 336 and although I have read some reviews about this firearm I was hoping to get some real feedback from actual
    owners.

(Philadelphia County)

Default Re: Marlin 336 Pro & Cons

find an older one and you will be happy
    stay away from the newer remlin's after Remington bought them, Marlin quality went out the window, I love my older Marlins, but I wouldn't touch one of the new ones with a ten foot pole

(Lancaster County)

I bought a 30.30 about 1.5 yrs . Loading issues out of the box thought the feed chamber on the side. Sent it back and they also needed to replace the barrell. Still have some odd feeding issues. I would recommend not buying. Some up some money and get a good lever action without the rear extending bolt during the lever action loading. I think a model 88 would be the rifle I would trade the marlin for in a heartbeat.

(Washington County)

Quote Originally Posted by caferacer View Post
    find an older one and you will be happy
    stay away from the newer remlin's after Remington bought them, Marlin quality went out the window, I love my older Marlins, but I wouldn't touch one of the new ones with a ten foot pole
    I would agree.

Look for an older Marlin. I have a 1970s 336 and have never had any issues.
    FOAC Member, NRA Member

(Lawrence County)

No experience with the newer Remlims, I bought my youngest son a used 336 in the mid 80's in .30-30. Never a single problem and it's still in use. Most of the ones you come across in the deer woods are chambered in .35 Rem.
    For those who've never fought for it, the price of freedom shall never be known.

(Lackawanna County)

I love my 336 in .30-30. It's fun to shoot, recoil is manageable, and it's pretty darn accurate. Ammo is cheap too. I shot both this and my father in laws pre-64 Winchester 94, hands down the 336 ( at least to me ) feels more solid and better put together. It also has the side eject so you can mount a scope properly.

Mine was manufactured in the mid 90s, I bought it used about 5 years ago. Love it.
    I'm faster than Doc Holliday (with Novocaine of course)

(Northumberland County)

I have a 336 that i got for my first rifle when i was 12, 15 years ago...when did reminton buy marlin? I read 2008?

(York County)

I occasionally buy 336's when they're cheap enough and resell them, and I generally try to stay with pre-remington examples. Aside from having a smooth action ( that only gets better with age) , good to excellent accuracy, bulletproof reliability, and probably the best value or bang for the buck, they are available in both a straight ( Texan ) stock or curved pistol grip style stock. Their other biggest advantage over the similar sized Winchester '94, is that they are a solid top/side eject, which ( and most are pre-drilled ) makes mounting a scope really easy. I love lever actions, and although the 336 is a little heavier ( maybe a half pound ) than the Winchester, I think its just as, if not more, reliable and accurate. You have to remember, Marlin has been making lever actions for over a hundred years, and they were Winchester's biggest competition in the late 1800's, they gave them a real run for the money against the model 1894. Right now I have an early 70's 336 Texan that I'm going to refinish the wood on, scope, and resell. It's action is smoother than the early 80's Winchester that was right beside it when I bought it.

(Monroe County)

Marlin 336 . . . The Cowboy Assault Rifle!

Aside from a couple of AR15, M1 Garand and Lee Enfield rifles, we've got two Marlin 336 carbines and one Model 1894 in 45-70.

The Marlin 336s are both older without the later added button safety thing. One is 30-30 and the other .35 Remington caliber. These are tough and super reliable guns. For preparedness, survival and all around household use, the high quality Marlin 336 is among the best.

The only CON that can I think of is that it's hard these days buying a Marlin 336 for cheap money. Acquired the ones we currently have a couple of years ago for $120 and $135. They both date to the early 1970s. Would love to have one of these sweet Marlin lever guns in the .357 magnum caliber.
    "Make peaceful revolution impossible, violent revolution is inevitable." JFK

(Lancaster County)

I have a 336 SS 30-30 (stainless steel with real walnut checkered stock) that I got used about 6 years ago for about $300 back then... My all-time favorite rifle ! However I just picked up a Rossi .357 that is pretty nice too !

Cb

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast