Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    AL1983 Guest

Default Glock 19, Glock 23, Glock 21 (What Should I Get)

I currently own and conceal carry a 2 inch barrel ruger-so 101 chrome 5-shot .357 magnum with a nice inside-the-pocket Desantis..holster. (great holster company by the way)

Questions.

Please give your honest opinion and realistic one.

1. Can a 9mm penetrate numerous layers of clothing worn by a suspect who intends to kill you or if you had to defend yourself can s 9mm stop, kill, a NFL lineman size bad guy in self defense for your life.

Or should I go with .40, .45.

I prefer 9mm honestly.

Cheap ammo. Just a good cartridge

Your honest opinions. Is the 9mm hype false are we still out gunned out powereed with the 9mm . What about the F.B.I Miami shootout. Why didn't the 9mm stop the suspects.

Are all those new findings on the 9mm just bull-crap...propaganda

Regardless of shot placement

Your thoughts on the 9mm.

Who owns, Carey's, any personal storys...or factual news information regarding the 9mm in personal defense by citizens and law enforcement use of the 9mm.

Default Re: Glock 19, Glock 23, Glock 21 (What Should I Get)

There is a shit ton of information out there on the web between all the gun forums as well as YouTube demonstrating the performance of each round. Modern defensive 9mm has come a long way and has negated most of the reasons to carry .40 caliber. Bullet selection is important so don't be a cheap bastard, buy a reputable round with a proven track record.

Muscle isn't bullet proof , pain receptors, and arteries still work the same so the line backer thing is pretty irrelevant in my opinion. Shot placement is key, excessive recoil under stress leads to shitty shooting.

Today's lesson is don't be a cheap bastards or a shitty shot.

(Philadelphia County)

I carry a GLOCK 17 loaded with Federal HST 124gr. Like Hodgie said, Modern 9mm has come a long way. Ultimately the deciding factors for me were 17rd capacity, manageable recoil, GLOCK reliability.

(Montgomery County)

Of the 3, I'd pick the 19.

I used to have a 23, now only have a 27 and 35 for .40, have mostly moved on to 9mm. I was considering getting a 26 but then the P365 came out. Same capacity as the 26 and about the same external dimensions of my daily carried 43? Sign me up.

I love my G19 and IMO it may be the finest "Combat handgun" ever made. The 9MM has come along way with ballistics. Look at all the pros and cons of what you like. If you can rent each gun and shoot them all the better. Maybe you will not like any of the Glock's. Go with your gut and not my opinion, or anyone else's for that matter.
    Aggies Coach Really ??? Take off the tin foil bro.

(Crawford County)

I’ve carried .45, .357, .40 and 9mm. I like the 9mm for the ability to carry maximum rounds....Glock 26. I also chose this because it is subcompact and most likely of all my guns to be carried concealed. A gun that you won’t take with you because it is uncomfortable to conceal is no gun at all. For self defense , 9mm will get the job done most times. There are other makes with single stack that are even more desirable for comfort.

(Montgomery County)

357 magnum in a 5 shot revolver is an excellent self defense option.
    If you want to switch to a semi auto then any of the rounds you mentioned are good self defense options.
    The 9, 40, and 45 are all good self defense rounds if you carry the higher end self defense ammunition.
    How can you have any cookies if you don't drink your milk?

(Lackawanna County)

I see what you did here. You introduced Glocks into the neverending 9 mm vs .40 S&W vs .45 ACP debate.

What about those who want to carry a 1911?

By the way, I have a G19 and a G23...no G21 in my collection, but I do have a SA 1911 in .45 ACP (along with another in 9 mm).

So, get what you like...get 'em all just because.

I’ll add this to your Glock/caliber debate...if you only choose one, all current SD calibers will take down an NFL lineman if you hit said lineman with your shots. Don’t overlook recoil and shot placement. Is the “bang” of a 45 too much for the frame size of a 21? It’s pretty much the reason my 45!s are 1911’s (and a semi-auto Tommy Gun...but that’s too big and heavy to carry for SD ).

(Allegheny County)

A Glock 21 is a big, reasonably heavy gun to CC. I own a Glock 21SF, very much like the gun but don't CC it. I do carry a Glock 30S, I give up 3 rounds per mag but it's smaller and conceals better.

Regarding your question on 9, .40 and .45? I carry .45, I read the arguments and made up my mind. IMHO one reviews the data, makes sure the gun/holster/ammo fits their way of doing things. Ensures the gun/holster/ammo all works in harmony. Develops a skill set with said gun/holster/ammo and carries on. There is good ammo available in all three calibers so the choice is yours.

(Chester County)

If you just wanna kill 'em, go with the G19. If you wanna kill 'em extra dead, go with the G21!

I've got, G17, G22 & G30s, the G30s is the only one I CC occasionally, the others hold down HD duty.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast