Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 48 1234511 ... LastLast
    (Centre County)

Default Do you carry your CCW with +1?

I usualy carry my M&P with full mag. So I have 17rds(16 in mag, 1 in tube).
    But I guess I could carry 17 in mag, and 1 in tube total of 18rds.

Never did it. Honestly I never thought about it. Strange, since I'm believe more ammo is better then more punch, but less ammo count.

Do you guys carry +1?
    Audemus jura nostra defendere

(Lackawanna County)

Default Re: Do you carry your CCW with +1?

yep, always.

(Allegheny County)

yes i do. can't think of any reason not to--unless maybe you often have to unload and check your weapon (like maybe you go to courthouses a lot) and want to have a place to put the round from the chamber.

I usually fill the mag back up.

Unless i'm gonna be OCing, then I find it to be a good idea to leave a place open for the officer to put the round from the chamber

(Jefferson County)

I load a round into the chamber and close the action/slide - then insert a full mag. Am always at full capacity - well, unless I had to bust a cap in someone or some critter.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

yep, I have a mag filled with a few for this purpose (say after a cleaning etc) for loading one, then I put my carry mag back in.

but generally it's just left that way all the time, with one in the pipe, even when it goes back into the safe at the end of the night.

Quote Originally Posted by knight0334 View Post
    I load a round into the chamber and close the action/slide - then insert a full mag. Am always at full capacity - well, unless I had to bust a cap in someone or some critter.
    guess it can depend on the auto, but I was always under the impression that dropping the slide on a round placed in the chamber was a nono.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by knight0334 View Post
    I load a round into the chamber and close the action/slide - then insert a full mag.
    if you mean you manually place the round into the chamber and then close the slide on it, just be aware that doing that is hard on the extractor in many semi-auto pistols.

the extractor then has to move way out to get around the rim of the case...whereas when loaded from a magazine, the round slides up under the extractor rather than the extractor having to go around it.

so, it is a better idea with many guns to insert a magazine witht he slide locked back, drop the slide to strip a round off the mag, drop the mag, put another round in it, and then reinsert the full mag.

(Jefferson County)

In the normal operation of most guns, rarely does the rim slip up and under the the extractor. In most cases the extractor pops over the rim as soon as the cartridge is in the chamber far enough to align it perpendicular to the breech face.

Despite the popular politically correct gun safety theory, with most firearms build since John Browning's prime - it is not unsafe to do it due to extractors being non-fixed. Most are spring loaded and harded to allow such things - even a release from the slide catch. ...which I guide back to battery by hand anyways. The only notable issue was that the rim of the casing took a peening. And since brass is softer than steel, the casing received the damage.

There is little to no difference in dropping a slide on a chambered round as there is to the gun loading one during firing.

We tested most of these theories in the USMC with all the govt guns and all the civilian guns we could get ahold of(I was a small arms repairman. handguns to M2's). Some of which we used high-speed camera's to film the action in operation. Only in a couple isolated firearms did the "rule" of dropping a slide on a prechambered round have any merit.
    Last edited by knight0334; September 25th, 2008 at 11:46 AM.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Monroe County)

Nope, at the range yes. For carry my revolvers are full capacity but not my pistols. Some examples my 1911 will have 6 in the mag one round chambered, my Taurus PT145 will have 6 in the mag and 1 round chambered.

I usually have 6 or 7 rounds because of weight and comfort. All my other pistols are 45 too but if I pick up a 9mm I will likely carry 1 or 2 more rounds.

Page 1 of 48 1234511 ... LastLast