Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 45 of 48 FirstFirst ... 354142434445464748 LastLast

Default Re: Do you carry your CCW with +1?

I appreciate your reply...as for spelling well Ill do my best to go back and fix errors, I was a little fustrated with the comment so gave a loud mouth remark about it...I understand the replies are mainly to help, I just felt some were negative, I felt like an outsider who walked into the wrong party, lol...on forums you get a group of regulars you know and when someonje new comes there is always this sense of alienation, like everyone is against you...maybe its just me, but its cool now...and again, sorry guys...

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by cutlerylover View Post
    I appreciate your reply...as for spelling well Ill do my best to go back and fix errors, I was a little fustrated with the comment so gave a loud mouth remark about it...I understand the replies are mainly to help, I just felt some were negative, I felt like an outsider who walked into the wrong party, lol...on forums you get a group of regulars you know and when someonje new comes there is always this sense of alienation, like everyone is against you...maybe its just me, but its cool now...and again, sorry guys...
    I understand where you are coming from, on that. The idea is to have some situational awareness, IMO.

When you are introduced to a new group of people in a social situation, do you immediately tell them all your opinion on everything and lay everything out there....or do you hold your tongue and read the situation, first? Getting a read on the group before you get yourself in over your head, or pick a fight not worth having?

There has been a HUGE influx of people registering recently and just spouting off with nonsense. These people would benefit a lot, from simply searching the forums and learning more about something they're unsure of/ new to. Instead, they challenge the pack, and open their mouth sharing nothing but hot-air. In the process, they just bog down the threads with posts offering virtually nothing of benefit to the "regulars".

My attitude may certainly have been harsh, but don't take it personally. I read your post to mean "this is how I do it and I'm not interested in learning a better way". People with a closed mind full of bad ideas will get called out, from one person or another. Your last post puts things in a different light, and that's cool.

Like Carnes said, the advice given here is either good, or jumped on like a $100 bill on the floor... we jump on poor advice because we're tired of myths getting perpetuated about guns (like shooting at people with bird shot, or the racking of a shotgun being guaranteed to scare anyone away, or .45ACP knocking down an elephant, or in this thread - carrying with a round chambered being reckless). We approach these forums as a place to learn, and to share what we have learned...not to spread bad information. (at least that's how I view them)

It's not that new guys aren't welcome...as we were ALL new here at one point...it's just that you need to have a little situational awareness if you wanna make friends here, and contribute positively. My start here was ROUGH, but that's another story. The "read more, post less" saying goes a long way to users getting started in a new community....I've learned that lesson the hard way, myself.

But for god sakes....spell check your posts! We're not gonna grade you here, but in written communication, trying to decipher garbled words is a pain in the ass.
    Last edited by synergy; January 8th, 2009 at 08:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by synergy View Post
    I understand where you are coming from, on that. The idea is to have some situational awareness, IMO.

When you are introduced to a new group of people in a social situation, do you immediately tell them all your opinion on everything and lay everything out there....or do you hold your tongue and read the situation, first? Getting a read on the group before you get yourself in over your head, or pick a fight not worth having?

There has been a HUGE influx of people registering recently and just spouting off with nonsense. These people would benefit a lot, from simply searching the forums and learning more about something they're unsure of/ new to. Instead, they challenge the pack, and open their mouth sharing nothing but hot-air. In the process, they just bog down the threads with posts offering virtually nothing of benefit to the "regulars".

My attitude may certainly have been harsh, but don't take it personally. I read your post to mean "this is how I do it and I'm not interested in learning a better way". People with a closed mind full of bad ideas will get called out, from one person or another. Your last post puts things in a different light, and that's cool.

Like Carnes said, the advice given here is either good, or jumped on like a $100 bill on the floor... we jump on poor advice because we're tired of myths getting perpetuated about guns (like shooting at people with bird shot, or the racking of a shotgun being guaranteed to scare anyone away, or .45ACP knocking down an elephant, or in this thread - carrying with a round chambered being reckless). We approach these forums as a place to learn, and to share what we have learned...not to spread bad information. (at least that's how I view them)

It's not that new guys aren't welcome...as we were ALL new here at one point...it's just that you need to have a little situational awareness if you wanna make friends here, and contribute positively. My start here was ROUGH, but that's another story. The "read more, post less" saying goes a long way to users getting started in a new community....I've learned that lesson the hard way, myself.

But for god sakes....spell check your posts! We're not gonna grade you here, but in written communication, trying to decipher garbled words is a pain in the ass.

well put, understood...

I am so fascinated by you cutlerylover, seriously, no joke.

am I ready for every attack that coudl ahppen, no, but then again neither are any fo you...
    Maybe not but at least I won't have to rack my slide

...I dont live in an area where there is alot of crime, hardly any at all...
    Me either.

...maybe thatas where the communication gap is here, perhaps some of you guys live in crapsville, and have a much greater ned for a firearm,...
    I don't live in Crapsville, that's about 2 towns over.

I do have a question for you. When exactly would you rack your slide? As soon as you pull it? Please give examples for different scenarios. I anxiously await your response.
    Bazinga

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisF4i View Post

I do have a question for you. When exactly would you rack your slide? As soon as you pull it? Please give examples for different scenarios. I anxiously await your response.
    when I draw my gun I would rack the slide, I wouldn't draw the gun unless I expect to use it...the second it coems out the slide gets drawn and the gun is ready to shoot...if I dont use the gun I take the mag out draw the slide again to remove the round then put it back into the magazine...but again, the gun doesnt come out unless I want to use it, I woudl never draw the gun for "intimidation" or to scare off a potential threat...if its in my hands I am goign to use it...

In case anyone is interested Ill put myself out there and show a video..Here I am doing a normal drill, drawing the gun, racking the sldie and taking one shot, in this case it takes me 4 seconds to draw and shoot a shotgun shell at approximatly 15 yards...in a real situation I would draw a little faster and point shoot, instead of aiming for such a small target...take note I only have one round in the magazine for this demo...I have plenty of other gun videos as well, which Im sure you guys will scan through, lol...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7xy_f...e=channel_page

it would be nice to see some of your guys videos if you make them and upload them anywhere...I got my 1st gun as a hand me down, the beretta model 21A bobcat, only got it about 5 motnhs ago, got my 1st full size gun, the glock 17 roughly a month later, and the addiction grew...just got a cheap 1911 (rock island armory) for target practice, which I love...

(Chester County)

In case anyone is interested Ill put myself out there and show a video..Here I am doing a normal drill, drawing the gun, racking the sldie and taking one shot, in this case it takes me 4 seconds to draw and shoot a shotgun shell at approximatly 15 yards...in a real situation I would draw a little faster and point shoot, instead of aiming for such a small target...take note I only have one round in the magazine for this demo...I have plenty of other gun videos as well, which Im sure you guys will scan through, lol...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7xy_f...e=channel_page

it would be nice to see some of your guys videos if you make them and upload them anywhere...I got my 1st gun as a hand me down, the beretta model 21A bobcat, only got it about 5 motnhs ago, got my 1st full size gun, the glock 17 roughly a month later, and the addiction grew...just got a cheap 1911 (rock island armory) for target practice, which I love...
    Here is mine, though it's a little "apples to oranges" as I don't have a cover garment on in the video.

I'm at the end...

1.21, twice.

With a cover garment, I'm up around 1.6, usually.

Not having the benefit of a shot timer, and being that you took a precision shot....I guestimated that you were between 2.5-3.0 secs to get that gun up and ready to go...just looking at the youtube counter.

If I can snip some video I have on DVD...I'll get you some eye opening draw time footage...not sure if my comp will do it for me.

Thanks for sharing the video! I will have to make a new one for the fastest I can draw and shoot under normal clothing conditions...the video I did was a calm draw and accurate shot...the one thing I admit I lack which I feel is a great method, is to draw and take your 1st shot at the waist, boy is that fast, so its draw, shoot at the hip, then take consecutive shots as your moving your arms up and out towards the target...

(Chester County)

Thanks for sharing the video! I will have to make a new one for the fastest I can draw and shoot under normal clothing conditions...the video I did was a calm draw and accurate shot...the one thing I admit I lack which I feel is a great method, is to draw and take your 1st shot at the waist, boy is that fast, so its draw, shoot at the hip, then take consecutive shots as your moving your arms up and out towards the target...
    Um....I think you should worry about A, B, and C before you get into shooting without sights and less than full extension.....

Here is a half-assed vid I was able to snip together...there is no audio, and for now, there is nothing I can do about it. WMM didn't like importing the RealPlayer format, and I'm not throwing down $35 for software on this.

For better or worse, here it is:

The last clip in the video, you can't hear it...but I've got 3 people shouting and hollering at me, simulating the distraction of an encounter with more than cardboard. I am giving repeated compliance commands the whole time. I am not told when the mover will start, only to draw and hit it as soon as I see it move. That target was at (or just beyond) 7 yards, the golden distance for threats with contact weapons. Only 2 of my rounds hit it, and neither of them were good solid CNS hits (the first was A zone, but not center-line A zone)...the rest went over top of it as it began to fall forwards... in reality, I might have tagged it 3 or 4 times before it made contact with me, had it not flapped forward. You'll notice by the time I noticed it begin to move, and got my gun up on target...it was already half way to me.

In your particular mode of carry, going on what you showed us in the prior vid only...you probably wouldn't have hit it once before it made it to you. A lot of people who do carry hot, still can't hit that in time.
    Last edited by synergy; January 8th, 2009 at 11:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by synergy View Post
    Um....I think you should worry about A, B, and C before you get into shooting without sights and less than full extension.....

Here is a half-assed vid I was able to snip together...there is no audio, and for now, there is nothing I can do about it. WMM didn't like importing the RealPlayer format, and I'm not throwing down $35 for software on this.

For better or worse, here it is:

The last clip in the video, you can't hear it...but I've got 3 people shouting and hollering at me, simulating the distraction of an encounter with more than cardboard. I am giving repeated compliance commands the whole time. I am not told when the mover will start, only to draw and hit it as soon as I see it move. That target was at (or just beyond) 7 yards, the golden distance for threats with contact weapons. Only 2 of my rounds hit it, and neither of them were good solid CNS hits (the first was A zone, but not center-line A zone)...the rest went over top of it as it began to fall forwards... in reality, I might have tagged it 3 or 4 times before it made contact with me, had it not flapped forward. You'll notice by the time I noticed it begin to move, and got my gun up on target...it was already half way to me.

In your particular mode of carry, going on what you showed us in the prior vid only...you probably wouldn't have hit it once before it made it to you. A lot of people who do carry hot, still can't hit that in time.

Thanks for sharing a video clip, love that moving target, now thats real training! Anyway Ill have to make another video sometime on a faster draw, the clip I showed was a casual draw, I can draw and shoot faster, I also practice drills with a double tap to center mass then single head shot...shootign while on the move is also another real test I often try as well, I am still new to guns though and practcie makes perfect right...so I still have alot of training to do so it all becomes second nature to me...

Page 45 of 48 FirstFirst ... 354142434445464748 LastLast