Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Pistol Transfer

Default Pistol Transfer

Hello, asking for a friend who lives in PA and is 19 years old and he is wondering if his Mom can gift him a pistol? Is this legal in PA?

Also, can he legally drive to the airport and fly with it (following all regs) as a 19 year old since he spends part of the year in Colorado? Also, can he drive with it and go to ranges with it in PA? Does it have to be locked up if so?

We are both in CO and I told him from my understanding of what I've read about PA laws that it should be perfectly legal, but I thought I would post on here to make sure.

Thank you!

(I'm asking this because apparently a PA FFL told him his mom can't gift him the pistol and he can't legally drive with it until he is 21 although this seems contrary to what I've found on the internet)
    Last edited by Will1776; March 1st, 2018 at 12:37 AM.

(Tioga County)

Default Re: Pistol Transfer

Quote Originally Posted by Will1776 View Post
    Hello, asking for a friend who lives in PA and is 19 years old and he is wondering if his Mom can gift him a pistol? Is this legal in PA?

If they are both residents of PA and in PA she can give it to him. If either is not a resident, nope.

Also, can he legally drive to the airport and fly with it (following all regs) as a 19 year old since he spends part of the year in Colorado? Also, can he drive with it and go to ranges with it in PA? Does it have to be locked up if so?

Flying with it to CO it must be unloaded and in a locked container. It is best to consult the particular airline for their requirements.

He must go directly to the range and back home directly no stops. The pistol must be in a separate container than the ammo. If possible not in the cabin, trunk preferred. At any rate not accessible to the driver/ passengers. Going to the range, if it is in the trunk it doesn't need to be in a locked container.

We are both in CO and I told him from my understanding of what I've read about PA laws that it should be perfectly legal, but I thought I would post on here to make sure.

Thank you!
    If I made any errors some one will correct me. the laws change and judges make a difference too.
    USNRET '61-'81

(Montgomery County)

The pistol must be in a separate container than the ammo. If possible not in the cabin, trunk preferred. At any rate not accessible to the driver/ passengers. Going to the range, if it is in the trunk it doesn't need to be in a locked container.

i do not recall this being a requirement.

(Allegheny County)

He can drive with it, but only to the short list of allowable places. Think "going to the range" or "going home from a gun shop after a purchase" - there's no casual driving around (loaded or not) without a LTCF - technically you can't even stop for gas on the way to the range.

The ammo only needs to be in a separate "compartment" - no locks involved or required.
    Loaded mags/box of ammo can be in the outside pouches of a gun case - that's all the more "separate" they need to be.

I don't fly and I don't know anything about CO laws, so I can't comment on the "travel plans".

And yes, if he and mom both reside in PA, she can legally gift him a handgun at age 18.
    You said "we are both in CO", so you'd best be certain that his residency is "PA" if mom lives in PA.
    I know people like to dick around with the system and say they live in one state when they are actually living in another - most do it to save on car insurance or some dumb crap - most are not doing it legally, so...
    Last edited by Emptymag; March 1st, 2018 at 01:23 AM.

(Lehigh County)

Will, just curious, what school are you two attending? Your question suggests that is the case.
    Illegitimus non carborundum est

Quote Originally Posted by gghbi View Post
    Will, just curious, what school are you two attending? Your question suggests that is the case.
    Yes sir. We are both attending the University of Denver. I have safe storage far away from campus. We both enjoy range days on the weekends.
    Last edited by Will1776; March 1st, 2018 at 01:44 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Emptymag View Post
    He can drive with it, but only to the short list of allowable places. Think "going to the range" or "going home from a gun shop after a purchase" - there's no casual driving around (loaded or not) without a LTCF - technically you can't even stop for gas on the way to the range.

The ammo only needs to be in a separate "compartment" - no locks involved or required.
    Loaded mags/box of ammo can be in the outside pouches of a gun case - that's all the more "separate" they need to be.

I don't fly and I don't know anything about CO laws, so I can't comment on the "travel plans".

And yes, if he and mom both reside in PA, she can legally gift him a handgun at age 18.
    You said "we are both in CO", so you'd best be certain that his residency is "PA" if mom lives in PA.
    I know people like to dick around with the system and say they live in one state when they are actually living in another - most do it to save on car insurance or some dumb crap - most are not doing it legally, so...
    Yes he is a PA resident with a PA drivers license (just in CO for school with no intention of making CO his long term home)

(Montgomery County)

Yes to his mother gifting him a pistol.

Yes to going directly from his PA home to a range and back with an unloaded pistol. As mentioned above there may be other storage requirements but I'm not sure.

I don't think so for the flying to Colorado. First you'll have to look into under 21 possession for Colorado law. Second I'm not sure he'll be legal under PA law to drive to the airport without an LTCF.

(York County)

I don't think so for the flying to Colorado. First you'll have to look into under 21 possession for Colorado law. Second I'm not sure he'll be legal under PA law to drive to the airport without an LTCF.
    Check the under 21 in CO, but the transport and flight could be argued between residences under PA and further argued FOPA.

Listed below are exceptions as outlined in 18 Pa.C.S. § 6106. (2) (b) Exceptions:
    1)....
    8) Any person while carrying a firearm which is not loaded and is in a secure wrapper from the place of purchase to his home or place of business, or to a place of repair, sale or appraisal or back to his home or place of business, or in moving from one place of abode or business to another or from his home to a vacation or recreational home or dwelling or back,.....
    Resistance to tyrants is obedience to God.

Quote Originally Posted by jthrelf View Post
    Yes to his mother gifting him a pistol.

Yes to going directly from his PA home to a range and back with an unloaded pistol. As mentioned above there may be other storage requirements but I'm not sure.

Yeah Colorado is more relaxed. Possession is 18 and you can even open carry and have it loaded in your car.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast