Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    (Allegheny County)

Default Re: Question about PICS form question 11.C

Quote Originally Posted by DukeConnor View Post
    With the increased emphasis on prosecuting people who lie on a 4473,there should be a easier way to verify if you can pass a 4473 without actually attempting to buy a firearm.
    that would be too easy

I agree. Im just looking for clarification on which box to check (yes or no) based on my past charges. I do not want to accidentally choose the wrong item while legally trying to purchase..

(Lackawanna County)

Won’t matter as soon as you check that box they should not allow you to proceed iirc if you put no and get denied you’re screwed.

This is what I keep seeing.

20) The term “crime punishable by imprisonment for a term exceeding one year” does not include—
    (A) any Federal or State offenses pertaining to antitrust violations, unfair trade practices, restraints of trade, or other similar offenses relating to the regulation of business practices, or
    (B) any State offense classified by the laws of the State as a misdemeanor and punishable by a term of imprisonment of two years or less.

(Montgomery County)

You really would be well served by spending a few bucks on an attorney well versed in firearms rights and laws.
    At the counter in a gun shop is not the time to find out if you interpreted your past criminal record correctly or not.

There are several competent attorneys who regularly post on this forum.

Quote Originally Posted by CHEMICAL View Post
    your charges weren't felonies...I believe M2 is the highest you had. I believe you're screwed on being able to get an LCTF though!
    No he CAN still get his license to carry.

Quote Originally Posted by Corsair19955 View Post
    I know this thread has been done a million times but I wanted to just ask to be safe with all the new gun law changes these days.

To keep this short i had an incident 5 years ago which I wont get into but will list the 2 and only charges on my record.

18 § 2701 §§ A1 M2 Simple Assault - Max of 2.00 Years
    18 § 2705 M2 Recklessly Endangering Another Person

Was sentenced 1 to 23 months in county due to a no show lawyer and was out on parole after 30 days.

Now this has all been done and case closed 5+ years now and i am looking to get a shotgun for hunting.

From researching I should be OK to purchase, my question is on 11.C on the firearm form itself.
    "Have you ever been convicted in any court of a Felony, or any other crime for which the judge could have imprisoned you for more than one year, even if you received a shorter sentence including probation? ( see instructions for Question 11.C )" Yes / NO

instructions say - Question 11.b - 12 - Generally, 18 U.S.C. 922(g) prohibits the shipment, transportation, receipt, or possession in or affecting interstate commerce of a firearm by one who; has been convicted of a felony in any Federal, State, or local court, or any other crime, punishable by imprisonment for a term exceeding one year (((this does not include State misdemeanors punishable by imprisonment of two years or less))) is a fugitive from justice and so on etc...

I am not sure if I am to chose yes or no to this question? Can anyone please advise on this? I would appreciate it greatly.
    You're good to go I know people with those exact charges that have their firearms and a license to carry.

(Centre County)

You should be god to go as it says state misdemeanors of 2 years or less and your max penalty was maximum 2 years. If your maximum was 2 years and 1 day, then you would be prohibited. You would answer NO on 11.b.

Now, that said, when the FFL runs the BGC with PICS, don't be surprised if it comes back "In research" or even denied. If "in research", let it run it's course and see what happens. If Denied, then do the challenge paperwork and see what the PSP says. If still denied after that, get an attorney who is WELL VERSED in the Federal/PA gun laws. It is possible that you might have to apply for a UPIN (Unique Personal Identification Number) that you would use for future firearms purchases. The UPIN would be given to the PICS operator and they know what it means.
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member

Thankyou for all the replies I appreciate your input. I may just see how much a firearms attorney would charge to answer this officially to cover my ass.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by Corsair19955 View Post
    Thankyou for all the replies I appreciate your input. I may just see how much a firearms attorney would charge to answer this officially to cover my ass.
    Much less than it could cost if you apply *before* contacting them...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast