Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Bucks County)

Default What's with the "fix NICS" bill?

https://www.govtrack.us/congress/bil.../s2135/summary

The bill would:

Establish a new “Domestic Abuse and Violence Prevention Initiative” in order to better prevent those convicted of those crimes from obtaining weapons.
    Publicly report any federal agencies that fail to upload relevant information to the system, and withhold certain pay from political appointees who neglect to upload the info.
    Establish new measures to verify the accuracy of existing records already uploaded into the system.

I'm a purist and believe "shall not be infringed" means exactly that----but is this Bill really that bad? Meaning, is there more to it than simply making government more accountable to add he proper information?
    "I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery." Thomas Jefferson

(Wyoming County)

Default Re: What's with the "fix NICS" bill?

Quote Originally Posted by mikelets456 View Post
    https://www.govtrack.us/congress/bil.../s2135/summary

The bill would:

Establish a new “Domestic Abuse and Violence Prevention Initiative” in order to better prevent those convicted of those crimes from obtaining weapons.
    Publicly report any federal agencies that fail to upload relevant information to the system, and withhold certain pay from political appointees who neglect to upload the info.
    Establish new measures to verify the accuracy of existing records already uploaded into the system.

I'm a purist and believe "shall not be infringed" means exactly that----but is this Bill really that bad? Meaning, is there more to it than simply making government more accountable to add he proper information?
    I haven't read this Bill, so I'm not very qualified to argue anything about it.

My rudimentary understanding is that they are going to throw money to entice agencies to comply with what is already law, instead of holding agencies / personnel accountable for not complying with it?
    "It seems that the Constitution is more or less guidelines than actual rules"
    My feedback: http://forum.pafoa.org/showthread.php?t=305685

(Berks County)

Default Re: What's with the "fix NICS" bill?

Copy / Paste from the GOA:

Will House GOP Leadership Add Anti-Gun Fix NICS into Omnibus Spending Bill?

1) Please call (Your REPresentative) - and demand that Fix NICS be excluded from the omnibus. Further, if gun control is added to the omnibus, then urge a vote against the "rule," which allows the anti-gun omnibus spending bill to even come up for consideration. Explain that a vote to pass Fix NICS is a vote to kill reciprocity.

2) Please call the NRA and politely encourage the same: Encourage them to demand the exclusion of Fix NICS from the omnibus, and to oppose the "rule" on the omnibus if gun control is included. The NRA-ILA number is 800-392-8683.

House Leaders on the Verge of Adopting Anti-Gun Agenda

Dear XXXXXXX,

I need you to take action right away.

Here's the treachery that is occurring on Capitol Hill.

Republicans are showing, once again, that they are the "stupid party" -- now that their leadership is pushing gun control as part of the government funding bill.

Capitol Hill sources -- and media outlets -- are saying that the House leadership wants to include the anti-gun Fix NICS language in the omnibus. But in doing so, they would be breaking their promise to gun owners.

A vote to pass Fix NICS is a vote to kill Concealed Carry Reciprocity

Last year, the House of Representatives passed the GOA-backed H.R. 1181, which would create due process protections for veterans.

But, if the Fix NICS/Take the Guns First language is slammed through on the omnibus, there is NO chance that H.R. 1181 will see the president's desk.

Similarly, when the House passed Fix NICS late last year, it coupled it in a combo-bill which also contained concealed carry reciprocity, our highest pro-active legislative priority.

And the leadership promised at the time that it would not consider a Fix NICS provision without reciprocity.

However, if this anti-gun provision is slammed through on the omnibus, reciprocity will be dead for the year.

The reason is that all the impetus to "just do something" and pass some kind of gun legislation will be gone -- because of the passage of the anti-gun Fix NICS provision!

Take Action: Call your Representative and the NRA

1) Please call (Your REPresentative) -- and urge the exclusion of Fix NICS from the omnibus. And if gun control is included, then urge a vote against the "rule," which allows the anti-gun omnibus spending bill to even come up for consideration.

The "rule" is sometimes the best way to kill a bill because Democrats almost routinely vote against the rule. Then, coupled with pro-gun Republicans who oppose Fix NICS, it's possible to get a coalition that will sink the bill.

Gun owners should tell Republican Reps. that a vote to pass Fix NICS is a vote to kill reciprocity.

Anti-gun Democrats can simply be told the omnibus spends too much money, so please vote against the "rule."

2) And if you are an NRA member, please call the NRA at:
    * NRA-ILA: 800-392- 8683
    * Main NRA Number: 800-672- 3888
    * Millie Hallow (Managing Director of Executive Operations, and assistant to Wayne LaPierre): 703-267- 1077

The NRA has been supportive of the Fix NICS legislation, ever since Sen. John Cornyn introduced it in November.

But as an NRA member -- and I am one myself -- we can politely urge them to urge that Fix NICS be removed from the bill OR to oppose the "rule" if the anti-gun language is included. Further, encourage them to support the inclusion of reciprocity into the omnibus.

Again, if you need a refresher on the problems with the Fix NICS bill, you can read the article we've posted here.

You may have seen that one gun manufacturer backpedaled from their support of Fix NICS within three days, after an outpouring of comments from customers.

This is a reminder that pro-gun supporters can make a huge difference when they let their voices be heard!

Remember, the anti-gun Fix NICS bill has been cosponsored by Dianne Feinstein (D-CA), Chuck Schumer (D-NY) and Elizabeth Warren (D-MA) in the Senate.

We need to apply the full-court press to defeat this gun control provision.

Thanks so much for your help.

Sincerely,

Tim Macy
    Chairman