Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Carbon County)

Default .223 tracer reloading

Im in the process of reloading some .223 and want to load some tracers i have. However, im having a hell of a time finding the proper powder and load in any of my books. Anyone provide some help? TIA
    Scott

Default Re: .223 tracer reloading

Without looking at my powder, recalling from memory, I use CF223. 25 grains pushing a 55 grain bullet. What grain bullet are you pushing? AFAIK the powder grain should be the same. A tracer is just a coated bullet. Someone will probably know better so don't take my word 100%.
    Aggies Coach Really ??? Take off the tin foil bro.

You will need special powder to ignite the tracer, standard powder wont light it,
    thats what I read anyway and the same goes for 50bmg. Try patsreloading.com
    He sells all types of military powder and bullets (pulled). Also, if the tracer element
    is covered with copper or plastic, poke a hole in it to ensure ignition.

(Carbon County)

Quote Originally Posted by Daycrawler View Post
    Without looking at my powder, recalling from memory, I use CF223. 25 grains pushing a 55 grain bullet. What grain bullet are you pushing? AFAIK the powder grain should be the same. A tracer is just a coated bullet. Someone will probably know better so don't take my word 100%.
    Theyre 62 gr tracers.

(Carbon County)

Yeah thats what im looking for, someone with experience to share their brand/load recipe with me. Ive reloaded thousands of rounds of all calibers but never tracers.

Poking a hole in it would ensure immediate lighting of the phosphorus, in the barrel, no? Id like these to light at 50-75 yards preferably.

According to Barnes COTW , USGI tracer ammo used IMR-8202M , a non-canister grade propellant
    I don't speak English , I talk American!

(Beaver County)

I've loaded thousands of tracers new and pulled. Have always loaded them over BLC-(2) which was a spec military ball powder for 5.56 and 7.62. Never had any ignition issues in barrels 16" or longer. If memory serves me correctly it was 24.5 ish grains of powder.
    www.Steelvalleycasting.com is your new home for coated bullets and custom ammo.

(Carbon County)

Quote Originally Posted by abner13 View Post
    According to Barnes COTW , USGI tracer ammo used IMR-8202M , a non-canister grade propellant
    Thank you

Quote Originally Posted by DucatiRon View Post
    I've loaded thousands of tracers new and pulled. Have always loaded them over BLC-(2) which was a spec military ball powder for 5.56 and 7.62. Never had any ignition issues in barrels 16" or longer. If memory serves me correctly it was 24.5 ish grains of powder.
    And thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by Fishbone33 View Post
    Yeah thats what im looking for, someone with experience to share their brand/load recipe with me. Ive reloaded thousands of rounds of all calibers but never tracers.

Poking a hole in it would ensure immediate lighting of the phosphorus, in the barrel, no? Id like these to light at 50-75 yards preferably.
    Im not familiar with that, just poking holes makes them lite. I think the phosphorous
    thing in the barrel is a myth, so I hear. Ive done quite a few out of my M3HB and barrel
    still looks new.