Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Berks County)

Default Hunter Access Points

Has anyone ever hunted one of these spaces? Any luck? What is the protocol as far as asking the landowner? What has been your experience?

For some reason I have it in my head this may be a good alternative to SGL's. Seems to me I could drive in, set up a blind or just pick a spot, and hunt all day without others bothering me. Would be easy in and easy out, limited area so wont get lost or have issues dragging out.

is there actually game there and is it worth the time?
    Gunowner99 - NRA Benefactor Life Member

(Lehigh County)

Default Re: Hunter Access Points

Did you read this: http://www.pgc.pa.gov/HuntTrap/Hunti...s/default.aspx ? You will likely want to scope out several of these. If contact information is provided as some of the signs indicated, please to contact the owner to see what they want. In many cases these are farmers who are seeing crop damage and want to reduce the problem, so lack of game will not be the issue.

If you talk with them they can help you with defining the property boundaries and may even tell you where the most damage is occurring, thus where the targets might be. They can also help with parking rules and safety zones. These are like any other spot in that the degree of access, difficulty in transiting the property, and parking will vary. You may even make a friend who will give you more hunting rights to other property that they own that is not open to the public.
    Illegitimus non carborundum est

(Berks County)

Thanks for the link, I have read it. So, I guess I go out there and talk to them and ask the questions? Seems a little uncomfortable stopping by and knocking on their door after work but I guess that's what has to be done.

Have you ever tried this as far as hunting their property? I wonder when I should start making contact and can they refuse? Like what if they don;t let anyone but a select few who have been there for years? That would not be just or fair.
    Gunowner99 - NRA Benefactor Life Member

(Somerset County)

My Dad has his farm enrolled in a Farm Game Project, has been for decades. It's really nice when someone stops by ahead of time to ask permission but mostly, that only happens once or twice a year. Be sure to find out if there are restrictions (Dad doesn't allow tree stands for example) and DO NOT drive on farm fields without express permission. Nothing, and I mean nothing, will tick a farmer off faster than somebody driving through a newly seeded field. It may look like a weed patch to you but to him, it's $$$ and time invested.

Do have some courtesy about when you're stopping, not at milking time and many farmers prefer to be left alone on Sundays as that is often family time.

And yes, they can refuse you permission, 'fair' or not, it's their property.

Dale