Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Erie County)

Default If new laws make you a prohibited person

If the new gun laws they are trying to pass would make you a prohibited person, Let say for taking a certain mental med.
    Would your wife/husband be able to keep your firearms if you dont have access to them?

(Jefferson County)

Default Re: If new laws make you a prohibited person

Quote Originally Posted by jppaul16438 View Post
    If the new gun laws they are trying to pass would make you a prohibited person, Let say for taking a certain mental med.
    Would your wife/husband be able to keep your firearms if you dont have access to them?
    Technically, yes. The firearms and ammo would have to be locked up and the prohibited person never having the key or combination.

However, that isn't fool proof.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

What the laws says and how those laws will be enforced are 2 entirely different things. I doubt anyone will know how these changes will affect any of us. There will be a test case in court very soon after they become law. Hold on to your hats boys and girls, I feel there's going to be a storm a brewing.

It's going to be interesting, infuriating, and probably down right scary to see what these new bills are going to have in them. I've read that common things like ADHD meds and sufferers may become prohibited which would be down right wrong since there are surgeons and other Hugh functioning professionals who have been diagnosed with it.

(Erie County)

Quote Originally Posted by Hodgie View Post
    It's going to be interesting, infuriating, and probably down right scary to see what these new bills are going to have in them. I've read that common things like ADHD meds and sufferers may become prohibited which would be down right wrong since there are surgeons and other Hugh functioning professionals who have been diagnosed with it.
    I dont think if you havent committed a crime or have a involuntary mental health commitment or should keep your rights. I think people should have due process.

I'm pretty much thinking that's where come and take them comes into play. If I'm on medication and have never committed a crime or showed any kind of violent behavior towards anyone I'll be damned if I'll turn over my firearms.
    Any vote for a third party is a vote for a Democrat. You are the enemy.

(York County)

http://www.dictionary.com/browse/ex-post-facto-lawex post facto law definition

A law that makes illegal an act that was legal when committed, increases the penalties for an infraction after it has been committed, or changes the rules of evidence to make conviction easier. The Constitution prohibits the making of ex post facto law.
    Lower your expectations to zero and you'll never be disappointed.

Quote Originally Posted by tlnzz1 View Post

A law that makes illegal an act that was legal when committed, increases the penalties for an infraction after it has been committed, or changes the rules of evidence to make conviction easier. The Constitution prohibits the making of ex post facto law.
    We have a president that said this: "Take the guns first, then worry about due process" I'm thinking they aren't going to care what the constitution says.
    Any vote for a third party is a vote for a Democrat. You are the enemy.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by tlnzz1 View Post

It has already happened. When they passed the Domestic Violence convictions and made them prohibitions to purchasing guns, they made them retroactive. If you were convicted of Domestic Violence you became prohibited and that was it. Regardless of when your conviction occurred.

(Allegheny County)

A friend has early onset Parkinsons and he plans on going to a meeting which i may take him to on medicinal marijuana - he has a few firearms.. I don't know the laws on this yet but how terrible if some herbs help him with his pain, that he must disarm himself or be legally in trouble.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast