Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (York County)

Default Recently moved to Pittsburgh, looking for a sponsor for gun club

Hello,

I recently moved to Pittsburgh from southern York county and I am looking for a place to shoot, and preferably someone to shoot with.
    I have heard about the Pitcairn Monroeville sportsman club, but I was told they require a sponsor, and I figure most other clubs would require the same.

Can someone please give me some advice on which clubs to look into or how to get a sponsor? I don't really have any friends here who are into guns. I recently graduated college, and have a desire to get back into target shooting

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: Recently moved to Pittsburgh, looking for a sponsor for gun club

There are lots of private clubs around Pittsburgh. It may help to know what general area you are located (North hills, East, South...) and if/how far you are willing to travel.

PMSC is certainly a good choice and I've been a member since around 2005/6, but there may be other options for you.

You may want to consider coming to the pafpa group shoot in April. It would be a great way to see some of the club (or all of it if someone offers to give you a tour) and meet both forum members AND club members.
    You have a better chance of having someone offer to sponsor you if you actually meet them.

Upcoming group shoot thread is here.
    Hope you can make it!

(Allegheny County)

The whole sponsor thing at PMSC is largely a myth. Yes, they technically require you to have one, but if you just go to the meeting and get there a little early, you can walk up to pretty much any total stranger and ask them to be your sponsor, and they will agree.

I don't really know what the point of it is. As long as you don't go in looking like an aspiring rap star or crack addict or something, you will be fine.

Quote Originally Posted by free View Post
    The whole sponsor thing at PMSC is largely a myth. Yes, they technically require you to have one, but if you just go to the meeting and get there a little early, you can walk up to pretty much any total stranger and ask them to be your sponsor, and they will agree.

I don't really know what the point of it is. As long as you don't go in looking like an aspiring rap star or crack addict or something, you will be fine.
    I agree. It's a silly process.
    Life has a melody. Not great, not terrible.

(Allegheny County)

I had heard that you can't do that now. I could be wrong.

I'll sponsor someone - but not someone I've never met.

(Allegheny County)

They should just require prospective members to have a current LCTF, with that "standing in" for a background check, and do away with the whole "sponsor" BS.

(York County)

Thank you guys for the quick responses.

I'm from the Crafton area, have a LTCF, and primarily want to find a place that isn't too far from me to go and shoot on the weekends.

Where I work at there are very few people pro second amendment let alone who shoot, so if anyone is interested in a range buddy I'm down. I enjoy getting to meet new people, especially those who respect the second amendment

(Allegheny County)

Coraopolis District Sportsmen Association is currently accepting new members. Go to their site and look it over but be quick. It looks like the last opportunity to join this year maybe Saturday the 17th. http://cdsa.biz/
    The Lord Bless You

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by DrewPickles View Post
    Thank you guys for the quick responses.

I'm from the Crafton area, have a LTCF, and primarily want to find a place that isn't too far from me to go and shoot on the weekends.
    I live near Crafton (:

I've been paying PMSC, but I've not actually been there since 2015 (I went once, maybe twice) because I find the effort in getting there to be greater than merit in being there. I figure it this way:

• Minimum of 30 minutes to gather up stuff and pack up vehicle
    • 45 minutes to get there and find an available bay (assuming no traffic)
    • 15 minutes to get set up and ready to go
    • 15 minutes to get ready to leave
    • 45 minutes to get home (assuming no traffic)
    • Minimum of 30 minutes to unpack vehicle and get everything put away

So, without shooting a single round, I figure I'm in it for 3 hours. Conservatively. That's with no traffic and no time to eat.So figure at least 30 minutes leeway for that, and an hour to actually shoot. That's 4 1/2 hours - MINIMUM.

So...yeah...I don't go real often. Maybe I'll get there this year - I dunno, we'll see.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by free View Post
    I live near Crafton (:

I've been paying PMSC, but I've not actually been there since 2015 (I went once, maybe twice) because I find the effort in getting there to be greater than merit in being there. I figure it this way:

• Minimum of 30 minutes to gather up stuff and pack up vehicle
    • 45 minutes to get there and find an available bay (assuming no traffic)
    • 15 minutes to get set up and ready to go
    • 15 minutes to get ready to leave
    • 45 minutes to get home (assuming no traffic)
    • Minimum of 30 minutes to unpack vehicle and get everything put away

So, without shooting a single round, I figure I'm in it for 3 hours. Conservatively. That's with no traffic and no time to eat.So figure at least 30 minutes leeway for that, and an hour to actually shoot. That's 4 1/2 hours - MINIMUM.

So...yeah...I don't go real often. Maybe I'll get there this year - I dunno, we'll see.

I can get from Churchill to Greentree in 20 minutes flat with no traffic.
    Are you riding your scooter or what? Step on the GAS!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast