Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    (Beaver County)

Default Re: Suggestions on what to buy

Ruger bolt gun chambered in 44 Mag. Add a threaded barrel / can and instant silent sledgehammer.
    www.Steelvalleycasting.com is your new home for coated bullets and custom ammo.

Quote Originally Posted by gnbrotz View Post
    Right now I've done 9mm and .45 ACP. I have the equipment to do .357/.38 as well, but haven't actually loaded any of that caliber yet. Looking for "value"...not cheap junk, but not overpriced either. The Ruger 9mm mentioned above by solrac7 lists for $649. That's probably close to my max.
    That's retail. You can get the Ruger PC Carbine for $500 (+/- a few $$) if you look around. The well is a little low right now, but they'll be on the market in higher numbers soon enough.

(Elk County)

Quote Originally Posted by Ronin View Post
    That's retail. You can get the Ruger PC Carbine for $500 (+/- a few $$) if you look around. The well is a little low right now, but they'll be on the market in higher numbers soon enough.
    Ideal if one has a Glock 17 or 19, or the Ruger pistols that use the Ruger mag that fits the PC Carbine. I bought two for $529 ea.

Noah
    Wisdom and knowledge shall be the stability of thy times.

(Chester County)

There's always the WASR10, it can still be found ~$600, the ammo is cheap, the mags are reasonable and it is a blast to shoot. While not a 1000 yd. sniper rifle, it's known for it's ruggedness and reliability, and it'll fill most needs here in PA. Here's mine.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Noah_Zark View Post
    Ideal if one has a Glock 17 or 19, or the Ruger pistols that use the Ruger mag that fits the PC Carbine. I bought two for $529 ea.

Noah
    I own neither, but plan to buy one soon, anyway. I figure Ruger, or if not them, someone will offer other mag adapters eventually. In the mean time, I'll buy a bunch of Glock mags so I can use it in PCC. Or, maybe I'll have an excuse to buy a Ruger Security 9, just cause.

(Franklin County)

Quote Originally Posted by R L Suehr View Post
    22 Hornet comes to mind for what you want. I like the CZ 527 in that caliber, but there are plenty of others out there too depending on preferences and budget.
    I understand that reloading bottle neck cases is a bit 'next level' for beginner reloaders. I actually was not aware of this caliber, and I do find it interesting, but it may land further down my wish list.

Quote Originally Posted by Emptymag View Post
    This should be the year of the AR15.
    Fight back! No matter what you want, it should end up being an AR15! LOL!
    Taken care of. If you were on Facebook, you'd know that. :-P

Quote Originally Posted by pennlineman View Post
    What range would you like to reach out to?
    Decent accuracy to 100 yards would be acceptable.

Quote Originally Posted by Ronin View Post
    That's retail.
    Understood, but it gives me a place to start comparing options, relative to others. Once I choose "the gun", then I'll price shop.

Quote Originally Posted by eatmydust View Post
    There's always the WASR10, it can still be found ~$600, the ammo is cheap, the mags are reasonable and it is a blast to shoot. While not a 1000 yd. sniper rifle, it's known for it's ruggedness and reliability, and it'll fill most needs here in PA. Here's mine.
    An AK variant is probably further down my wish list, but probably not this time around.

I'm probably going to end up with something in 9mm, as I have a decent supply of ammo on hand and wouldn't have to start laying in another caliber right away.

Thanks for all the suggestions! I really appreciate it.

(Allegheny County)

From the feedback of letting other people shoot it, a .357 lever gun is a good suggestion. Mine is a Marlin 1894. So much fun to shoot. Reloading allows for a range of rounds.

I reload .357/.38. I also cast 158 grain semi wadcutters. The 38's are probably less expensive to shoot than 22's. I have downloaded 38's to the point where I watch for stuck projectiles up to stout .357's. There are guys sending 158 grains at almost 2000fps out of these rifles.

They can be hard to find, somewhat expensive as well. I've heard good things about the Rossi's and would consider them also.

(Lycoming County)

Quote Originally Posted by gnbrotz View Post
    I understand that reloading bottle neck cases is a bit 'next level' for beginner reloaders. I actually was not aware of this caliber, and I do find it interesting, but it may land further down my wish list.
    It's a cool small caliber that isn't talked about much anymore. You can reload it on the cheap too. I wasn't thinking about "beginner reloading" though. Sometimes I forget that not everyone is a seasoned veteran.

It definitely wouldn't be the best to start out with. Being such a small case it can be kinda a bugger to work with sometimes. Definitely check it out sometime though. It's a great round with basically no recoil.

I think I'm talking myself into a new rifle while posting this.

(Tioga County)

Get a CZ Scorpion Carbine. Reliable, great aftermarket and I hear nothing but good things about them from those that shoot them.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12