Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Allegheny County)

Default Considering youth rifle as birth gift for upcoming child... recommendations?

I’ve got a young one coming soon and was considering buying them a youth rifle that was manufactured as close to their birthday as possible. It would have to be suitable for their first suiting experience and nice enough that they’ll keep it for life. The only thing I could think of right now was something like a 22lr Henry golden boy or even a smaller shotgun. Any ideas? Has anyone done this before? I was a grown up when I started out in this hobby and haven’t shot with any under 18s before.

Recommendations? Suggestions?

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: Considering youth rifle as birth gift for upcoming child... recommendations?

I got my son a Savage Rascal a couple years ago. He's 9 and almost outgrown it, so it's a small rifle. It has a nice action, peep sight, and a nice trigger. I'm thinking of making a larger wooden stock for it so it can remain his rifle and fit him.

oh, and congratulations on the little one!
    Last edited by Hoppy; March 16th, 2018 at 08:02 PM. Reason: congratulations..

(Lackawanna County)

Default Re: Considering youth rifle as birth gift for upcoming child... recommendations?

Every child needs an ar in 22lr.

(Lehigh County)

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Blaze View Post
    I’ve got a young one coming soon and was considering buying them a youth rifle that was manufactured as close to their birthday as possible. It would have to be suitable for their first suiting experience and nice enough that they’ll keep it for life. The only thing I could think of right now was something like a 22lr Henry golden boy or even a smaller shotgun. Any ideas? Has anyone done this before? I was a grown up when I started out in this hobby and haven’t shot with any under 18s before.
    Recommendations? Suggestions?

How big is your budget? Might want to check this out: https://www.henryusa.com/henry-corporate-editions/ No reason you cannot order a special edition of one, or maybe two one for you and one for the kid. I don't know if they have minimums, maybe one for each of the grandparents too?

Seriously, if you can work out a deal with them to create birthday specials with a blank custom engravable space, that they could sell in quantity, maybe you can get number 001. If you do succeed I would like to be put on the list for a nice low number as repayment...
    Last edited by gghbi; March 16th, 2018 at 08:21 PM.
    Illegitimus non carborundum est

(Allegheny County)

My first rifle was a Marlin/Glenfield Model 25
    I would guess I was around 8 or 10 years old. I know I got it before I could hunt and I started hunting at 12.

I guess it depends on when you want to start them out. Much smaller single shots (Chipmunk) can be had for younger/smaller kids, but they don't really make sense a a "lifelong" rifle, since they are too small to shoot after you "grow up".

(Allegheny County)

Engraving is a great idea too. I could also prob get one from off the shelf customized at an engravers.

(Lehigh County)

Engraving is a great idea too. I could also prob get one from off the shelf customized at an engravers.
    There are places that offer laser engraving which would be less costly. The SBR guys on here could recommend one or more I am sure. I have seen pictures in the NFA threads if I recall correctly.
    Illegitimus non carborundum est

(Bucks County)

For my kids i bought a 10/22 and had the bolts engraved with their names.

Jwhcustom

Then I had the triggers done with stage 2. Brim Stone

This way they can use all the same mags. Eventually move to scopes.

Also bought them both Bows from my buddy's shop.

(Allegheny County)

10/22... now that's a cool idea. Their commodity would also make them a great lifelong gun as there are parts for them all over the place.

(Bucks County)

10/22... now that's a cool idea. Their commodity would also make them a great lifelong gun as there are parts for them all over the place.
    Everyone needs a 10/22. But I don't think it is a good first rifle.

For me new shooters need to concentrate on safety and shot placement. With an autoloader the temptation is too great to start blasting. They are also more difficult to load and tell if a round is in the chamber. I got my kids a single shot bolt action 22. They quickly learned the rules and how to shoot it and it didn't take that many range trips till you could get them set up with a box of .22's and they were safe enough to not have to watch them shoot every shot.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast