Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 LastLast

Default Re: Bucks sheriff wants more personnel for gun permit background checks

Quote Originally Posted by Krichardson View Post
    There isn't but they press them onto a separate card.Is this not done in the other counties?
    NO!

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by IIIIIREPOIIIII View Post
    NO!
    Right,as has aleady been posted.
    There are no pacts between lions and men.

(Bucks County)

I just read the update on the sheriff's Facebook page. Very responsive to the concerns raised. Read it yourself.

It would be helpful for anyone applying for a new or renewal LTCF in the months ahead to share their experience. (I'm good for another 4 years.)

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by frankski View Post
    I just read the update on the sheriff's Facebook page. Very responsive to the concerns raised. Read it yourself.

It would be helpful for anyone applying for a new or renewal LTCF in the months ahead to share their experience. (I'm good for another 4 years.)
    Can you post it? I don't have facebook and can not see any replies. Just a link to the original courier times article

Quote Originally Posted by qmcorps View Post
    Does not NICS/PICS provide that information?*

*Not being contrarian; If the system does not provide that information, perhaps the "comprehensive background check" is necessary**.

** Yea, I'm going to get burned.
    Pics is only going to give a binary yes/no response, it won't reveal those 25 summary disorderly convictions or the series of m3 or m2 offenses or that homicide arrest that he beat after the 3 witnesses all died in separate boating accidents.

Plus, you have the often-abused "character/reputation" clause, which pretty much requires going outside the scope of the criminal courts. That kid in Florida who shot up the school would have passed a NICS check (in fact, he did, when buying that rifle) but would have set off blaring alarm bells if anyone talked to his teachers or neighbors or classmates or the family he lived with, or just the cops who responded to his 25 or so domestic violence episodes.
    Attorney Phil Kline, AKA gunlawyer001@gmail.com
    Ce sac n'est pas un jouet.

(Pike County)

Why should a person be disqualified for a CCW for a Summary Offence arrest or conviction? It's not even a misdemeanor.
    "There's nothing funny about a clown in the moonlight." ~ Lon Chaney

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Delkal View Post
    Can you post it? I don't have facebook and can not see any replies. Just a link to the original courier times article
    It’s in post #44 of this thread.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by frankski View Post

Did not see any responses regarding the increase.

Only saw this - f you have any questions or concerns please feel free to call Chief Perry Ferrara at (215) 348-6123
    https://www.facebook.com/BucksCoDA/p...21509847990850

AND from the looks of it he was a former officer from Upper Southampton.

Quote Originally Posted by LeftLaneInPA View Post
    Why should a person be disqualified for a CCW for a Summary Offence arrest or conviction? It's not even a misdemeanor.
    Not always, but sometimes. Anger management or impulse control issues don't go well with carrying a machine that ends life.

It's an enumerated civil right to keep and bear arms, one that can't be taken away unless you actively do something really stupid to forfeit it. But some people do those things. If you're honest, you'll agree.
    Attorney Phil Kline, AKA gunlawyer001@gmail.com
    Ce sac n'est pas un jouet.

(Lehigh County)

Cool Re: Bucks sheriff wants more personnel for gun permit background checks

Quote Originally Posted by Delkal View Post
    HERE is a dump of the recent FB posts:
    James O'Neill I think that’s a great idea. Gun permits need to kept out of the wrong hands.
    Manage
    7h
    Phil Kline
    Phil Kline Has there been an issue with criminals getting LTCF's and committing crimes?

The purpose of government is to solves certain problems that exist in reality. Criminals don't usually get licenses to carry, mostly because criminals are denied by the PICS background check, and at least partly because criminals don't care about doing things according to the rules.

It would be wrong to make the process significantly more onerous for the law-abiding in order to address phantom problems.

Pennsylvania has hundreds of thousands of residents with LTCF's; of that number, how many have been arrested and convicted for crimes involving concealed handguns? It seems like the system works for over 99.99% of the people.
    Manage
    7h
    Milt Warrell Bucks County Sheriff
    Milt Warrell Bucks County Sheriff Phil Kline thanks for your reply and concern. So you address some concerns and I would like to help clear them up for you. Yes it is our job to solve certain issues that exist in reality, like people being able to carry concealed that should not. Your comment that Criminals don't get carry permits, that's not exactly accurate. We have issued many carry permits and then had to Revoke them from people that have committed a crime. We are not and will not make the process longer. The goal here is to perform that actual back ground check that we are required to do but have not due to lack of personal. Trust me as a retired Police Officer and now Sheriff I am a supporter of 2A. This isn't meant to control or restrict guns in any way. My office has nothing to do with people purchasing firearms! I would be happy to talk in further detail anytime you wish and again thanks for speaking your mind.....Sheriff Warrell
    Manage
    6h
    Phil Kline
    Phil Kline Milt Warrell Bucks County Sheriff - Seems fair enough, thanks.

Mike Ricchini The article speaks of fingerprinting? More checks than are required by the state? Is this true?
    Manage
    10h
    Milt Warrell Bucks County Sheriff Negative, as you can imagine some of the details are not accurate as the report got his information from multiple sources.
    Manage
    10h
    Mike Ricchini
    Mike Ricchini Thank you for responding...the report seemed to conflict with the Bucks county website. I'm glad to hear you're trying to speed things up for LTCF applicants within the confines of the PA law.
    Manage
    10h
    Jeremy Beaver in a (somewhat) recent post on PAFOA.org, you stated that you wanted to streamline the process for LTCF applications. I get that the comment was in response to someone having an issue with one of the satellite offices, but it contradicts what is being ...See More
    Manage
    pafoa.org
    9h
    Milt Warrell Bucks County Sheriff Jeremy, Thanks for the reply. As I stated in my responses on the several locations as well as PAFOA.org. I am COMPLETELY committed to 2A and getting people their LTC as simple and streamlined as possible. That being said I can see how this article may be a little confusing, understand it's the MEDIA! The current process will stay the same with no interruptions and plans are to get the lower sat office to be able to issue permits on site. Our aim is to get more personal to perform processing and the follow up back ground checks that should be getting done in the first place. The mention of field investigations and PD contacts will occur after the permit is issued. If problems are discovered we will revoke that subjects permit. Nothing more...Sheriff Warrell
    Manage
    pafoa.org
    6h
    Dan Jeuch Milt Warrell Bucks County Sheriff, first of all, thank you for taking the big step (and associated risks!) with posting responses and thank you for your service. As a long-standing LTCF holder across multiple states, I appreciate the capability to be able to go to Doylestown (even though Levittown is closer to me) and be able to walk in, check my weapon, head downstairs to hand in my pre-filled application, and walk out with a renewed permit within about 15 minutes. As anyone should agree, I wouldn't want a prohibited person being able to do so, and do not envy you your task figuring out which to deny... but as best as you can, if you can keep the process quick and efficient for myself and other law-abiding citizens, it is appreciated. Too many other counties have taken more than their fair share of liberties in restricting those rights.
    BTW You can see his page without having to sign in as I did to get this.
    Last edited by gghbi; March 15th, 2018 at 09:56 PM.
    Illegitimus non carborundum est

Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 LastLast