I used to carry exclusively revolvers. I like the reliability, the craftsmanship, and the old school nostalgia. Then I expanded over to 1911's, mostly for the same reasons. I still like and carry my Colt.

After the Parkland details emerged, I started to rethink my carry options. The thought experiment I invite you to imagine is this: imagine you are the only one on scene, like that first resource officer. Also, imagine you aren't a coward, and you decide to go inside to confront 1) A known killer actively shooting kids 2) Known to be armed with a rifle with lots of ammo 3) Known to keep shooting if/when confronted 4) maybe wearing bodyarmour.

You can choose any pistol that you would normally carry with you for everyday. What will you choose?

I know that I would *not* choose a 6 or 7 shot revolver. I would not choose my 8 shot 1911. I would choose something like a Beretta M9 or a Glock 17, with a 19-20 round magazine.

I also know that this type of public mass shooter scenario is a possible threat that I may face in contemporary times. I am not an LEO, nor am I a security officer. But we may not be able to choose which pile of doo doo we step in one day. I've been re-evaluating my carry options, and I now at minimum go with an 8 shot 1911 or 9mm, and increasingly favoring double stack 9mms.