Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Default Rethinking our carry choices

I used to carry exclusively revolvers. I like the reliability, the craftsmanship, and the old school nostalgia. Then I expanded over to 1911's, mostly for the same reasons. I still like and carry my Colt.

After the Parkland details emerged, I started to rethink my carry options. The thought experiment I invite you to imagine is this: imagine you are the only one on scene, like that first resource officer. Also, imagine you aren't a coward, and you decide to go inside to confront 1) A known killer actively shooting kids 2) Known to be armed with a rifle with lots of ammo 3) Known to keep shooting if/when confronted 4) maybe wearing bodyarmour.

You can choose any pistol that you would normally carry with you for everyday. What will you choose?

I know that I would *not* choose a 6 or 7 shot revolver. I would not choose my 8 shot 1911. I would choose something like a Beretta M9 or a Glock 17, with a 19-20 round magazine.

I also know that this type of public mass shooter scenario is a possible threat that I may face in contemporary times. I am not an LEO, nor am I a security officer. But we may not be able to choose which pile of doo doo we step in one day. I've been re-evaluating my carry options, and I now at minimum go with an 8 shot 1911 or 9mm, and increasingly favoring double stack 9mms.

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: Rethinking our carry choices

There was a long thread about this not all that long ago based on the same refection on "recent events".

No. I'm not likely to change anything. I've had a G19 for 20+ years and never carry it because it's too bug and bulky.
    I used to carry a .380 IWB, but recently switched (at least for non-summer months) to a Shield 9mm.
    I had wanted to carry a 9mm for a while though, and "events" had no bearing on my "upgrade".

The odds of needing a handgun at all are pretty low. The odds of needing to address an active shooter even less.
    I'll stick to preparing for things that are more likely - because I'm not going to carry a big, uncomfortable gun.

(Allegheny County)

I'd carry whatever I could put the most ammo in, and narrow down my choices from there.

However...I'm not in the security business. My needs as someone who is NOT in the security business are very different from someone who is. All I need is:

1). Enough rounds to encourage someone to go in another direction upon learning I am armed.

2). Enough rounds to end a threat that is in very close proximity.

I do NOT need the capability to seek out and end a threat.

(Susquehanna County)

I think your thinking is what many are thinking but afraid to discuss their thoughts ;-)

Most active shooters either commit suicide by good guy or drop firearm and run when confronted..

Other than the terror attacks I can't remember a time an active shooter decided to shoot it out.. but then again I can't remember my home address many days LOL
    Retired US Army
    NRA Life Member, GOA, USCCA
    "Artificial intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity"

Quote Originally Posted by free View Post
    I'd carry whatever I could put the most ammo in, and narrow down my choices from there.

However...I'm not in the security business. My needs as someone who is NOT in the security business are very different from someone who is. All I need is:

1). Enough rounds to encourage someone to go in another direction upon learning I am armed.

2). Enough rounds to end a threat that is in very close proximity.

I do NOT need the capability to seek out and end a threat.
    1) Unfortunately, when walking inside a mall, watching a movie in a theater, or playing at the park with your kid, the shooter may not be encouraged to go another direction. All these mass shooters will shoot back with a rifle.

2) In all these cases, we might not have a choice of whether we engage or not. Sitting in a theater or walking in a mall, we might be stuck right in the middle of a mass shooting. We might have to take a long shot down a grocery isle.

30 years ago, we didn't really have to think about such threats. Today, it's a rare event, but as far as armed encounters go, it's not out of the question.

Just as I tell gun grabbers that their grab isn't supported by statistics, neither is changing your carry choice.
    Life has a melody. Not great, not terrible.

(Berks County)

My ultimate goal is to secure a CZ-75 and carry it, but budgetary constraints are keeping that from becoming a reality for the next couple years, at least. So, as it is, I'll continue carrying either my 9-shot 1911 or my 7-shot 686 with enough spare speedloaders and magazines to deal with most likely threats. With the 1911 I usually have a total of 41 rounds, and with the 686 a total of 35. Even if I'm forced to contend with a mental case armed with a semi-auto rifle of some sort, it should be enough provided I'm not just spraying bullets down the corridor or across the food court, which I probably shouldn't be doing as there are likely to be a lot of innocents running around willy-nilly.

My goal in a mass shooter situation is less about killing or incapacitating the assailant than it is about drawing his attention and keeping him pinned down. Most of these people don't like getting shot at, even if they have superior firepower at their disposal, and they will fold or panic or whatever. I can only hope and pray that I also don't fold and panic should rounds start coming my way. I'm about as mentally prepared as I'm going to be.

Quote Originally Posted by Lexington View Post
    My ultimate goal is to secure a CZ-75 and carry it, but budgetary constraints are keeping that from becoming a reality for the next couple years, at least. So, as it is, I'll continue carrying either my 9-shot 1911 or my 7-shot 686 with enough spare speedloaders and magazines to deal with most likely threats. With the 1911 I usually have a total of 41 rounds, and with the 686 a total of 35. Even if I'm forced to contend with a mental case armed with a semi-auto rifle of some sort, it should be enough provided I'm not just spraying bullets down the corridor or across the food court, which I probably shouldn't be doing as there are likely to be a lot of innocents running around willy-nilly.

My goal in a mass shooter situation is less about killing or incapacitating the assailant than it is about drawing his attention and keeping him pinned down. Most of these people don't like getting shot at, even if they have superior firepower at their disposal, and they will fold or panic or whatever. I can only hope and pray that I also don't fold and panic should rounds start coming my way. I'm about as mentally prepared as I'm going to be.
    I think the 1911 is still a viable option, despite the advantages of the double stack 9.

Reloads are very fast with a 1911, and it has a superior trigger for accuracy.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by American1776 View Post
    1) Unfortunately, when walking inside a mall, watching a movie in a theater, or playing at the park with your kid, the shooter may not be encouraged to go another direction.
    In which case, I will be.

2) In all these cases, we might not have a choice of whether we engage or not. Sitting in a theater or walking in a mall, we might be stuck right in the middle of a mass shooting. We might have to take a long shot down a grocery isle.
    If I am sitting in the middle of a crowded theater and someone starts popping off shots, from somewhere in the darkness, I'm not going to do the same. If it someone who is in close proximity to me, I'm probably not going to need more than the 8 rounds my carry gun can hold.

In a mall....I'm not going to be taking long distance shots at anyone. If they're close enough for me to consider shooting at, I'm probably not going to need more than the 8 rounds my carry gun can hold.

If I am in a situation where I am considering whether to take a long shot down a grocery aisle, I'm going to choose NOT to take a shot, and instead, step to the right or left, thereby making such a shot no longer possible.

Quote Originally Posted by free View Post
    In which case, I will be.

If I am sitting in the middle of a crowded theater and someone starts popping off shots, from somewhere in the darkness, I'm not going to do the same. If it someone who is in close proximity to me, I'm probably not going to need more than the 8 rounds my carry gun can hold.

In a mall....I'm not going to be taking long distance shots at anyone. If they're close enough for me to consider shooting at, I'm probably not going to need more than the 8 rounds my carry gun can hold.

If I am in a situation where I am considering whether to take a long shot down a grocery aisle, I'm going to choose NOT to take a shot, and instead, step to the right or left, thereby making such a shot no longer possible.
    Those are a lot choices that we might not have when the balloon goes up. Especially if/when we are with family and others under the mantel of our protection. Running, or stepping right or left, or choosing not to engage at a distance, are all luxury choices that may very likely not be available to us.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast