Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast
    (Bucks County)

Default Re: AMGOA reporting PA license scan by police informs of LTCF

Quote Originally Posted by Williamsmith View Post
    Every dispatcher that handles Clean/NCIC transactions tests and is certified as well as every PSP Trooper. They may or may not know the confidentiality requirements of Title 18 6111(i) but the prohibition to releasing information only is directed toward public dissemination. A police officer on a traffic stop is not a public release. So no, I don’t see how this can be a violation. It is simple sharing of information between government entities and agencies. Under the banner of police safety. As someone said above, a police officer assumes their is a firearm available anyway. Even if they didn’t have access to the information, they could walk up to your window and simply ask if you have a gun in your vehicle. And you could tell him a lie or be truthful....your choice. I see the reason for concern but I don’t see any legal remedy other than to have the law specifically prohibit dissemination to law enforcement officers and hat ain’t happening. Now if that information was shared with someone in the public....then that might just be a violation punishable by a $1000 fine and any attorney fees reasonably incurred by the person disclosed. I could see this happening in a domestic violence case where one of the parties goes out and gets a LTCF and an investigating officer comes about this knowledge. Whereupon for some reason they disclose this to the other party. I think that’s a problem.

Are you aware of what happened in Philadelphia and the class action law suit?

The one where they released information to the public through a map and also internally to different departments in the police station?

Is this LTCF information available at the DMV? How about when a super market scans the DL when you make a purchase?

How are the systems linked and who is viewing the information is the issue.

Philly lost a multi million dollar law suit, one of which, was was involved in because my information was mishandled. This situation would not be a $1000 fine and attorney fees. This would include everyone with an LTCF that has their DL linked and the information incorrectly handled.

Do other states have this information? If so what are they doing with it and how is it used?

(Crawford County)

The CLEAN system is restricted to only criminal justice agencies. It stands for Commonwealth Law Enforcement Assistance Network. To the best of my knowledge, the answer to your above questions are .....no.

(Bucks County)

Is running a DL considered an investigation?

Anyone pm with exactly what comes up when?

(Delaware County)

Every dispatcher that handles Clean/NCIC transactions tests and is certified as well as every PSP Trooper. They may or may not know the confidentiality requirements of Title 18 6111(i) but the prohibition to releasing information only is directed toward public dissemination. A police officer on a traffic stop is not a public release. So no, I don’t see how this can be a violation. It is simple sharing of information between government entities and agencies. Under the banner of police safety. As someone said above, a police officer assumes their is a firearm available anyway. Even if they didn’t have access to the information, they could walk up to your window and simply ask if you have a gun in your vehicle. And you could tell him a lie or be truthful....your choice. I see the reason for concern but I don’t see any legal remedy other than to have the law specifically prohibit dissemination to law enforcement officers and hat ain’t happening. Now if that information was shared with someone in the public....then that might just be a violation punishable by a $1000 fine and any attorney fees reasonably incurred by the person disclosed. I could see this happening in a domestic violence case where one of the parties goes out and gets a LTCF and an investigating officer comes about this knowledge. Whereupon for some reason they disclose this to the other party. I think that’s a problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by soberbyker View Post
    I have been hearing on the scanner for at least a couple years in DELCO, they will include "the subject has a license to carry firearms" when a driver license is being run.
    Couldn't this be considered a violation?

(Crawford County)

Quote Originally Posted by soberbyker View Post
    Couldn't this be considered a violation?
    I have thought about this. Is the identity of the driver also given out over the radio? In other words, “ That plate comes back to William Smith, 123 Main Street, Anytown, Pa and shows he has a License to carry”. That’s info that is not intended for public knowledge. I don’t know.

(Northampton County)

I have thought about this. Is the identity of the driver also given out over the radio? In other words, “ That plate comes back to William Smith, 123 Main Street, Anytown, Pa and shows he has a License to carry”. That’s info that is not intended for public knowledge. I don’t know.
    That's exactly how it comes over the radio.

(Delaware County)

Yes, in my county, which I listen to most often. "CLEAN" doesn't seem to be used as much as it used to be though with the with most cars having a computer to look up stuff on their own. Another trend is departments going with full encryption. But for now, yes name, address, make/model of vehicle can all be heard within a somewhat limited distance depending on the system being used and the scanner antenna. I can hear most of my county, all of Philly, a little of Montco, and some of south Jersey.

(Bucks County)

Burglar arrested and being transported in rear seat of patrol vehicle, hears it all, memorizes it with annotation "guns". Or reads it on monitor. Not smart.

Quote Originally Posted by Bilky View Post
    Pretty sure this would constitute a “gun owner registry”, would it not?
    Nope , it would be called a "record of licensing'' database.
    I don't speak English , I talk American!

Quote Originally Posted by Bang View Post
    Burglar arrested and being transported in rear seat of patrol vehicle, hears it all, memorizes it with annotation "guns". Or reads it on monitor. Not smart.

When dispatched to a new call the screen is overridden with the new information. I highly doubt the scenario you site could ever happen. A good Cop will turn off the radio and close the computer screen. This way a bad guy in the back seat cant get a clue.
    Aggies Coach Really ??? Take off the tin foil bro.

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast