Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Default Re: AMGOA reporting PA license scan by police informs of LTCF

Quote Originally Posted by Carson View Post
    What else is brought up ?

The sheriffs department information. Your LTCF is IIRC marked valid yes or expired. Haven't seen one lately. Everyone is treated the same, and that is armed. In my mind a LTCF means nothing to me.
    Aggies Coach Really ??? Take off the tin foil bro.

(Beaver County)

This law applies only to law abiding citizens, criminals don't need no LTCF.

(Delaware County)

I have been hearing on the scanner for at least a couple years in DELCO, they will include "the subject has a license to carry firearms" when a driver license is being run.

(Fayette County)

Quote Originally Posted by soberbyker View Post
    I have been hearing on the scanner for at least a couple years in DELCO, they will include "the subject has a license to carry firearms" when a driver license is being run.
    Would have been nice if our LEO members brought it to out attention.
    "One must be a fox to recognize traps, and a lion to frighten wolves” ~ Machiavelli

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by Ricochet View Post
    I'm getting sick of the "just being a good soldier" attitude that most LEOs seem to have when our rights are being fucked with.

Also I was pulled over last summer in the Warrington area, cop came up to me as he was ending the stop and started prattling on about how I should have informed him that I was armed.

Bullshit.

Quote Originally Posted by Ricochet View Post

It was brought up before. I was under the impression that it was confirmed to be ok. I guess if PSP and whoever else allowed it gets sued, then it may stop.
    Aggies Coach Really ??? Take off the tin foil bro.

(Bucks County)

It might have been brought up here - http://forum.pafoa.org/showthread.php?t=316448

AND I completely forgot about it.

I'll call an attorney tomorrow and touch base to see if he think there is ground for violation of anything.

(Venango County)

Well, we don't have to be geniuses to see where this will head.

Eventually, all units will have computerized license plate readers. The software will flag any LTCF violations in addition to warrants. They will then pull you over or wait for a violation or wait until you get back to a parked car. Don't be surprised when concealed holders start getting an increase in tickets for violations. That is a win-win for the government. They will punish us in the hopes of catching us riding dirty somehow, and they get extra 'income'.

We need Constitutional Carry before it gets worse.

Then there won't be a carry license. Hey police (not all officers but admin), you should have left well enough alone!
    It is you. You have all the weapons that you need. Now fight. --Sucker Punch

(Chester County)

All I know is a couple months ago a PSP pulled me over for speeding along RT 23 near St Peters Village, just a couple miles west of the Rt 100 intersection. (I was tired from a long day and had just turned onto Rt 23 from a side road. I knew that for a mile or so speed is reduced in that area, knew that I was very close to the end of the reduced speed zone, and was accelerating in my compact pick up truck knowing that the road ahead would be posted at 55. But I got careless and was still in the reduced speed zone when he lit me up on radar at about 40 in a 25 zone.)

I rolled down my windows and kept my hands on the steering wheel as he approached, as a courtesy to the officer. I had my wallet next to me already since I had been driving in the truck for a while and it is more comfortable to not be sitting on it for a long time. When he first approached my truck, he informed me that he was audio/video recording the interchange, asked me for license, registration and insurance, and immediately asked me if I was carrying my firearm that day. I do not keep my LTCF's visible in my wallet, so he apparently already knew from my license plate that I had one. The truck is registered in my name.

The exchange went pretty well throughout, and he seemed like a decent guy. I told him I indeed was carrying and that it was on my right hip. I asked how he wanted to proceed and he said just leave it alone and he would be fine with it. He mentioned that he would have preferred that I had immediately told him I was carrying, but I did not reply to that, nor did I mention PA is not must inform. I am always hesitant to play the LEO lottery when it comes to firearms.

During the stop, we chatted briefly about what gun I was carrying and he asked why my radar detector had not alerted me and kind of chuckled. It had but I was on top of him when it went off, so I had no time to slow down. Also note that all of Rocky Mountain Radars claims of jamming police radar are bullshit obviously since his apparently worked just fine! I have since read on-line that their claims about jamming are neither scientific nor factual. I called RMR to complain and the girl mumbled something about me not mounting it properly on my dashboard...Lesson learned. I won't be buying another RMR!

In any case, he wrote me for 5 over the speed limit so I wouldn't get points, which was nice, and we shook hands and went our separate ways. Moral of the story - I assure you that PSP at least, can tell from your license plate whether you are a LTCF holder or not. That will suck if this information disseminates to neighboring states like NY and NJ. I would hate to sit on the curb while some over zealous Jersey cop tears apart my car looking for a non-existent firearm.

(Crawford County)

Every dispatcher that handles Clean/NCIC transactions tests and is certified as well as every PSP Trooper. They may or may not know the confidentiality requirements of Title 18 6111(i) but the prohibition to releasing information only is directed toward public dissemination. A police officer on a traffic stop is not a public release. So no, I don’t see how this can be a violation. It is simple sharing of information between government entities and agencies. Under the banner of police safety. As someone said above, a police officer assumes their is a firearm available anyway. Even if they didn’t have access to the information, they could walk up to your window and simply ask if you have a gun in your vehicle. And you could tell him a lie or be truthful....your choice. I see the reason for concern but I don’t see any legal remedy other than to have the law specifically prohibit dissemination to law enforcement officers and hat ain’t happening. Now if that information was shared with someone in the public....then that might just be a violation punishable by a $1000 fine and any attorney fees reasonably incurred by the person disclosed. I could see this happening in a domestic violence case where one of the parties goes out and gets a LTCF and an investigating officer comes about this knowledge. Whereupon for some reason they disclose this to the other party. I think that’s a problem.

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast