Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Delaware County)

Question Restoring Colt M1991A1 Compact (Model 09091)

Hello,

I dug out my first ever CCW from when I got a carry permit. I was dismayed to find that I had not sufficiently lubricated it for storage. I was checking it out and I sent this part flying:

https://www.gunpartscorp.com/products/229940

Hopefully I can find it. In the meantime, what would be the typical cost and a good gunsmith in the DELCO area to do the job and tune it up a bit? Also, what would be the approximate cost? This firearm has some sentimental value for me even though at the time I bought it it was one of the cheaper (if not the cheapest) Colt 1991 Series 80 available. It has the 3.5" barrel and a reasonably nice trigger. If I can find that darn plunger, it will be a functioning firearm.

There are two reasons I switched to another CCW. One is that this is a chunk of iron. The other (and more important reason) was body sweat caused rust on contact in spite of cleaning. I'm hoping there is some way to restore it to original condition plus a bit of trigger tuning and rust proofing (or rust resistance). While I could Cerakote it, I suspect this would be a bad idea. I also have no experience with 1911s (other than shooting them). It would also be nice to upgrade the stock rubber grips to something nice like walnut or rosewood.

At this point, I'm soliciting advice. I'm not sure what this gun is worth. If I had never fired it and it was free of rust and wear, it would be worth far more than I paid for it based on Internet searching. Mind you, the inflation adjusted value would be about what I paid for it.

Thanks!

Default Re: Restoring Colt M1991A1 Compact (Model 09091)

Pictures of the gun would help. What you might think is terrible, may not really be that bad. The part will turn up as soon as the new one arrives.
    Aggies Coach Really ??? Take off the tin foil bro.

(Monroe County)

The end cap is not that "small" of a small part. It should turn up. As for the rest, yes pic of the damage would help.
    Owner Trigger Time LLc 01 FFL/NFA Saylorsburg, PA. Sales/Service/Transfers/Training
    NRA CRSO/Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun inst. BSA Rifle/Shotgun Merit badge counselor. US Navy Marksmanship Team Staff

(Centre County)

"While I could Cerakote it, I suspect this would be a bad idea."

Why would you say that. If you got it Cerakoted you wouldn't have to worry about body sweat or other corrosion. I have Cerakoted guns that people wear next to their body 12-16 hours per day and even after 5 years you don't see any degradation of the finish. Cerakote doesn't affect the operation of the gun (unless it is a botched job and that can be fixed pretty easily by someone who knows what they are doing). It only adds 0.005 inches of dimension and on some semi autos it helps tighten them up a bit.

As for the value, just about any Colt will not depreciate as much as some guns and typically is an easy sell.
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member

(Delaware County)

I haven't found the plunger yet. It landed in an area with lots of stuff to hide it. As for the possibility of Cerakote application, I was evaluating that based on the amount of work it is to do right. I've done Cerakote myself and I tend to spray a bit too thick. I also do not have a armorer's reference for the 1911 design.

Anyway, pictures were requested. I should have thought to do that before. Here are some.

IMG_6563.jpg
    IMG_6566.jpg
    IMG_6568.jpg

I'm happy to take close ups.

Thanks.

That appears to me to be light rust. Nothing more than gun oil and 0000 steel wool should be needed. Very carefully work the oil and wool on the areas affected. That should clean up without much trouble. All that needs is some TLC.
    Aggies Coach Really ??? Take off the tin foil bro.

I had the same exact gun and it did the same shit, very poor finish. I sold mine however my vote would be to cerokote it if you plan on keep it.

(Monroe County)

3-in-1 rust penetrate and scrub it lightly to med with a stiff plastic brush- maybe a brass brush- VERY lightly on the rails. Wipe and preserve with CLP.
    Owner Trigger Time LLc 01 FFL/NFA Saylorsburg, PA. Sales/Service/Transfers/Training
    NRA CRSO/Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun inst. BSA Rifle/Shotgun Merit badge counselor. US Navy Marksmanship Team Staff

(Delaware County)

Thanks, folks!

I guess I'm overreacting on this one. I should at some point get an armorer's manual for the 1911. If I can strip and reassemble a J-Frame without destroying it, perhaps I can do the same with this.

I have preformed what some would consider miracles with some 4 ought steel wool and breakfree CLP. Your pistol will be just fine.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast