Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Stone's throw from Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
    (Butler County)

Default Re: opinions on an M1 Garand

Quote Originally Posted by Noah_Zark View Post
    That's the issue with CMP - luck of the draw, unless you drive to the North Store in Port Clinton and select one off the rack. I did, several times. There was a big difference in condition from rifle to rifle in the same rack.

Sure, you're saving a couple-few hundred $$$, but you're buying sight unseen. When it comes to buying guns, IMO, I'll pay a bit more for one I can personally examine vs. buying sight unseen.

Noah
    How long ago was that? AFAIK, they haven't had much if any selection of field & service grades in the store since Sandy Hook.

OP, you can get reports on what kind of rifles are in stock at the store by checking the CMP forum at http://forums.thecmp.org/forumdisplay.php?f=73

(Elk County)

Default Re: opinions on an M1 Garand

The NS recently had IHCs but sold out on 10 Mar. Orders would be filled from Anniston until NS restocks, as they have said they will.

Rack and Service grade rifles at CMP are intentional mixmasters. CMP swaps bolts and or op rods of one make for another and reassembles unmatched. This is so they can sell their so-called Correct grade rifles at a premium, and the auction guns even higher. Does it matter for functionality for a shooter? No. But try to sell that mixmaster and everyone be like, "Ooooh, it's not matching; I'll give you $450."

Many times individuals buying a Rack or Service grade M1 will obtain and install "correct manufacturer" parts if not correct for the s/n date of manufacture. This can make an M1 on the secondary market worth a couple hundred more - when the trigger housing, bolt, op rod, and minor manufacturer-marked parts all match the manufacturer of the receiver.

"Matchingness" doesn't float my boat as much as a Muzzle Wear number of 1.0 or below. Those rifles that have such numbers frequently are 1960s arsenal rebuilds with 1960s dated barrels. Some purists consider these red-headed stepchildren, but IMO and experience, they are barely-used tack driving machines.

OP, if you don't have a muzzle wear gauge, you can order one from the CMP or online, or obtain an M2 Ball cartridge or dummy. Insert the bullet end into the muzzle and if 3/16" to 1/4" of copper jacket shows between muzzle and case mouth, that's potentially a very good to excellent shooter, depending on how tight the trigger group and receiver clamp the stock.

Good luck,

Noah
    Wisdom and knowledge shall be the stability of thy times.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123