Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: What are YOUR Training Goals for 2018?

I trained since 7, now I can't sleep. Been a while, damn it feels good but tomorrow I'll be sore.
    But it'll be a oh so good sore...can't wait to do it again!

(Wayne County)

The trainings that I'm looking to take deal mostly with increasing my base knowledge and adding additional trainer certifications so I can add additional classes myself.

I got certified by NOLS in wilderness first aid even though I'm already a Red Cross instructor. I wanted to see how well they presented the class material. Some minor differences, but essentially the same. I'm submitting an application to try for a position to be come a WFA instructor with SOLO, but the instructor class isn't until early 2019. I'd love to get my wilderness first responder, but I can't afford to take two weeks off to do it.

I'm also looking in to taking some NRA instructor classes. I just have to figure out what classes I want to add and see how much my insurance will increase if I do offer them.
    Sed ego sum homo indomitus

(Washington County)

A couple of things for me. First I need to get first shot time down when drawing from holster to hitting a paper plate target at 50+ feet. My first shot at that distance literally takes upwards of 3 or 4 seconds... 25 feet and less I'm pretty quick, but once I get near 50 feet and especially at 100 feet I'm pretty slow. So that's a big goal for me, to get that time down.

The second thing is to work on rapid target acquisition on my new AR-10. I'm not used to using a Trijicon ACOG or shooting an AR-10, so the plan is to get comfortable rapidly hitting 1-foot targets between 100 and 300 yards.
    Washington County Machine Guns & Tactical Range -- CMP Affiliated Club -- FFL 07 / FFL 10 / FEL 20 / SOT 02 / ITAR
    Largest MG Rental Business on the entire East Coast. M2HB, M9 Flamethrower, M67 Grenades, M240 Bravo, M249 SAW, M1919, RPD, M60, Bowling Ball Mortar.
    Now offering High-Explosive Classes (Open to the Public)

(Montgomery County)

Short update, just signed up for Andy Snyder's Tactical First Aid Class (April 16th at Classic Pistol), that's around $80.

Setting up an IFAK, that's another $50, hope to get some feedback on it, for now just has the basics.

On the noisy side, I bought a war belt/suspenders molle rig (BFG ~$100) for a TBD carbine class. That's a couple of hundreds right there an no training to show for it yet.

What's your training budget for the year?

(Allegheny County)

I'm taking a Randy Cain Tac pistol 101 over Memorial day weekend to refresh the fundamentals.

I haven't taken any training classes for years due to two major injuries. A dominant eyeball penetration accident leaving me with about 75% vision in that eye and a dominant hand crush injury which ended up with a pinky finger amputation and pinning of the almost useless ring finger, which cut down my grip strength from about 160 lb to less that 50 pounds.

I wanted my daughter to take this class with me but our priorities differ.

One of the things he does is instruct us to run 3000 repetitions of his 4 count draw stroke.
    I've always been pretty quick out of the holster but this seemed to smooth it out.

I'm fairly decent out to about 20 yds with slow, controlled fire but it takes too long to focus for any speed accuracy.

I may take it this year with a Glock 23 instead of the G19 I used last year.
    Opinions are like anal apertures. They all stink but mine.

(Lancaster County)

Take a long range shooting course, and build a PRS barricade to practice at the range with locally.

Would like to take another carbine course.
    Una Salus Victis Nullam Sperare Salutem

(Allegheny County)

In short; to continue to work on my defensive pistol skills on a regular basis in order to maintain those skills that I have been able to develop over the past 30+ years.
    Try to insure that I maintain regular range sessions (2x/month minimum) and dry fire practice (2-3 times each week).

Looking forward to the good weather months coming up - chance to head outside and work on movement, use of cover, and more at the outdoor range.
    Tomorrow's battle is won during today's practice.

For this year starting with Rockwell Tactical from the ground floor, starting tomorrow.

Chose them because they are within driving distance and have a good rep on this forum, so I can take money saved on travel and lodging and maybe plow it into another training class.
    As far as credentials go, to me credentials and .mil experience and schools attended are only a measure of skill not a measure of how good a teacher you are. You can be Delta and a lousy teacher, (no I am not talking about LAV he is a very capable instructor ), or you can be a really skilled nobody who never done anything exciting but who can teach others the skill and convey the message well. So I rely more on the word of mouth from alumni when trying out new instructors.

Future classes this year definitely need a refresher on a MARCH medical stuff, with some serious dummy, me, needle, time, some scenario based hand gunning for main course and foundational long range for desert in that order

(Cumberland County)

Just purchased a Ruger AR556 and a Weatherby 18.5. Still looking for a modestly priced bottom feeder. My goal for this summer is to try 3 gun shooting. Not competitive, but will try to get the fundamentals down as I think it would be good for discipline, safety and character. Then maybe in a few years compete.

Tom Givens Defensive pistol in July, possibly a shotgun course if I still have PTO to spare after my fishing trips.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12