Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Chester County)

Default Night sights : suggestions/help/opinions

Ok, so just got my TRUGLO TRITIUM PRO's in the mail today for my M&P9 2.0. Being a guy good with tools I would love to put them in myself but am leary about buying the right sight pusher. When I Google sight mover tools I get bombarded with lots of stuff but seems the consensus is MGW is the best. Well, when I try to find the right one for my M&P I find that one in particular has been discontinued. Not crazy about any universal tool as I want the specific RIGHT tool. Sure I can just go to my local guy that I bought the gun from but also have a Shield that I want to put sights in also. I just want to do my own work as I do with my car. Why would a tool for a modern gun be discontinued? There seems to be a difference between the one for full size and the Shields. Strange. If I do have my LGS do the work should I supply him with a full mag of ammo to sight them in or do they just eye them up and say here you are?
    If you choose not to decide you still have made a choice

Default Re: Night sights : suggestions/help/opinions

JMO---After the first shot in darkness your blinded and those nite sites are to no avail ! Millet sites,and others are good for day or nite.

Quote Originally Posted by MARINE DIVISION TWO View Post
    JMO---After the first shot in darkness your blinded and those nite sites are to no avail ! Millet sites,and others are good for day or nite.
    Take it from someone who shoots in dim/low light/dark more than most. The above statement is only true to a limited degree. At any rate, I have the MGW for Glocks and needed an adapter to push sights on the smaller G43 and G42. It is a fantastic overbuilt tool that will last my lifetime. If you can pick one up for your Smith, it will be a great buy. Discontinued sounds bad though.

I've used a few universal sight tools. Some are good, some not so much. The Wheeler Armorer's Sight Tool gets good marks for working with most everything. Bud's has the best price right now.

I've borrowed an MGW and it's a great tool, but it's also really, really expensive. I don't do enough with one to justify the price.

(Blair County)

Ive always just used a brass punch with masking tape over the tip. If it leaves a mark windex will remove it. FWIW I like the Trijicon XD green rear orange front. The thinner front blade is more accurate for me.

(Centre County)

If I do have my LGS do the work should I supply him with a full mag of ammo to sight them in or do they just eye them up and say here you are?

Typically the gunsmith will set the sites to the center of the slide. Then when you shoot it you'll see if they need to be adjusted and you can do that with a few taps of a hammer and punch or take it back to the 'smith and have him drift it one way or the other a bit.
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member

(Chester County)

Thanks for the replies. Just ordered a pusher from Washington Gun Works that lots of people liked so we'll see. Had a bad experience with a brass punch vs Shield a while ago. Rear sight tapped out just fine but the tritium rear sight went half way in then mushroomed to a stop! Tapped it back out but totally deformed. Stock sight went back in with no problem so I know it was not my fault. May just put in the front tritium on the Shield. Anybody just use a front night sight. I can see the sence in that.

(Blair County)

Quote Originally Posted by Knightshift View Post
    Thanks for the replies. Just ordered a pusher from Washington Gun Works that lots of people liked so we'll see. Had a bad experience with a brass punch vs Shield a while ago. Rear sight tapped out just fine but the tritium rear sight went half way in then mushroomed to a stop! Tapped it back out but totally deformed. Stock sight went back in with no problem so I know it was not my fault. May just put in the front tritium on the Shield. Anybody just use a front night sight. I can see the sence in that.
    I havent tried it yet , but im going to on my new Ruger Alaskan 454.....Im going to try to get away with just painting the front first, but will probably end up getting the high viz front even though it looks likea bitch to install.

Quote Originally Posted by Edg View Post
    Ive always just used a brass punch with masking tape over the tip. If it leaves a mark windex will remove it. FWIW I like the Trijicon XD green rear orange front. The thinner front blade is more accurate for me.
    I usually use that method for regular sights, but never with tritium. That's a great way to break a vial and then you're screwed.

(Blair County)

Quote Originally Posted by Ronin View Post
    I usually use that method for regular sights, but never with tritium. That's a great way to break a vial and then you're screwed.
    Could be, done 5 sets so far and not had an issue though. I guess if i break one and have to reorder it its still cheaper then the tool.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast