Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Just Bought a new rifle.....Manufacturer says its not new....and discontinued....

Might be the current status of things gun related, but I just bought a Ruger Rimfire rifle this week from a large local gun store (they were selling it as brand new), and upon inspection some parts were missing from the box (sights, mounting rail, etc). Gun store advises me to contact Ruger. Called Ruger and customer service was extremely helpful, took my info gun info and serial number. At the serial number part is where things got interesting. She put me on a short hold, then explained when she got back on the line that she had to get a supervisors approval to send out replacement / warranty parts for a gun that was OVER 5 YEARS OLD.

I just bought it...last week....

Then after talking with her and finding the parts (Ruger will ship them to me at no charge), I had a feeling that I knew the answer, but I asked anyway... Is this rifle still in production? Answer from her, No, sorry, we stopped making it last year....

Wow, not that they stopped making it, but that it was 5 years old, now discontinued and I managed to find it! lol

Just wondering if anyone else has had this happen, or thoughts on if we will be seeing more stuff like this in the future as it appears that most local stores are looking for anything that remotely resembles a firearm/rifle to sell right now.

(Lancaster County)

Default Re: Just Bought a new rifle.....Manufacturer says its not new....and discontinued....

If it wasn't previously sold to someone, it's still "new". It does sound as though someone took things from the box. In Ebay terms, you bought a NOS Rifle.
    Rules are written in the stone,
    Break the rules and you get no bones,
    all you get is ridicule, laughter,
    and a trip to the house of pain.

Default Re: Just Bought a new rifle.....Manufacturer says its not new....and discontinued....

100% agree, not angry or upset, and I like the rifle, so I will keep and shoot it, just thought it odd/amusing that a rifle could float around the system for that long.

Ruger also treated me 100%, so all is good overall, just waiting on the parts to get here.

(Lehigh County)

Quote Originally Posted by streaker69 View Post
    If it wasn't previously sold to someone, it's still "new". It does sound as though someone took things from the box. In Ebay terms, you bought a NOS Rifle.
    NOS = New Old Stock. It sounds like they may have removed parts to satisfy another customer years ago and the box was set in the back and never replenished. Glad to see Ruger take care of you. I have seen older than that, I think the oldest was like eight years. If priced accordingly it can be a real deal.
    Illegitimus non carborundum est

(Allegheny County)

Yeah, guns don't have "model years" like cars.

Mowing equipment is the same way. On the landscaping forum there are constantly people posting that they bought a NEW mower, but after running the serial number, they find out that "It's a 2015!!!"
    Outrage ensues and they have to be schooled.

It happened to me. Bought my commercial mower new and noted that the horsepower differed slightly between the number on the engine and what is in the promotional literature.
    I contacted the manufacturer with mower info and learned that my mower had been manufactured three years prior to my purchase and that they aren't marketed like vehicles - nothing really changes from year to year in most cases.

In my case, it worked to my advantage because it has a feature I like that had been discontinued after mine was made.
    Some guys have gotten screwed by feature changes that they THOUGHT they were getting, but their "new" mower lacks. THAT would be something to bitch about. Some of them just can't accept that a mower manufactured in 2017 and purchased in 2018 (with no feature differences) is a new mower. I guess it's not "fresh" enough for them. LOL

(Franklin County)

I had a similar issue with a Bosh cordless drill set I bought on clearance at Lowe's. I couldn't complete the warranty registration online and was prompted to call.

The reason? Based on the serial number I supplied, it was manufactured more than three years ago, which triggered the kick-back by the automated registration page. They asked me for a scan of the receipt and manually took care of things on their end. I was very impressed with their customer service, and even though it was a little extra work, it left me confident that should I even need them to back it up, it would probably be done without a bunch of hassle.

(Allegheny County)

A local FFL managed to get me a fairly hard to find shotgun that was discontinued for over 4 years.

Everything was in the box though.

(Delaware County)

I am confused about your last statement in the op. My local stores are well stocked with guns, new and used. Is your shop short on guns?
    Some people just plain suck.
    If you're gonna be dumb ya gotta be tough.

(Montgomery County)

New Old Stock or not... I would be having words with the manager and owner of that shop.
    All should have been disclosed.

I just bought a ruger sr22 rifle about a month ago .I had to send it back to ruger for repairs. Ruger customer service asked for the serial # .The agent tells me the gun is over 2 years old but they will send me a free return label anyway.I told her I just bought it a month ago. She said that might be true but the distributor has had it for over 2 years. Got the gun back a couple days ago seems to work fine now. Between rugers cs and the lifetime warranty from gallery of guns I'm not to worried.The sr22 rifle has also been discontinued.
    Last edited by Cloud; March 12th, 2018 at 12:43 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast