Voters
39. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

7 17.95%
  • no

32 82.05%
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    (Wyoming County)

Default Re: Fees when purchasing a new gun?

Quote Originally Posted by Rosco the Iroc View Post
    It's also stated in our secret PICS manual.
    Yes you are correct. Well sort of - but I'm to blame for over-analyzing

This PICS manual specifically only addresses "transfers" private/internet. It would have been nice if they would have just plainly stated "Background checks are non-taxable"

It furthers advises any additional questions be referred to the Dept. of Revenue, which I did, and a failure to communicate occurred. Again, I'm not putting the blame on anybody other than me.

"It seems that the Constitution is more or less guidelines than actual rules"
    My feedback: http://forum.pafoa.org/showthread.php?t=305685

(Venango County)

I know on the SP-4 we mark not taxable and in the last section, F (IIRC) we put in Private Transfer and who the seller is. That way the to and from sale info exists.

The store does not collect any taxes on a private transfer sale. However, it is up to the seller to report it! Even if they don't eventually pay taxes on it, they must show it and then write it off with deductions or what have you (if they can).

As far as PICS, I have never seen it reported as taxable. The background for credit checks, isn't that for a credit investigation such as Dun and Bradstreet etc. and not PICS?
    It is you. You have all the weapons that you need. Now fight. --Sucker Punch

(Wyoming County)

Quote Originally Posted by TaePo View Post
    I know on the SP-4 we mark not taxable and in the last section, F (IIRC) we put in Private Transfer and who the seller is. That way the to and from sale info exists.

The store does not collect any taxes on a private transfer sale. However, it is up to the seller to report it! Even if they don't eventually pay taxes on it, they must show it and then write it off with deductions or what have you (if they can).

As far as PICS, I have never seen it reported as taxable. The background for credit checks, isn't that for a credit investigation such as Dun and Bradstreet etc. and not PICS?
    You are correct on all counts...I'm the butthead
    "It seems that the Constitution is more or less guidelines than actual rules"
    My feedback: http://forum.pafoa.org/showthread.php?t=305685

(Venango County)

Quote Originally Posted by ExFlyinguy View Post
    You are correct on all counts...I'm the butthead
    Wasn't trying to kick a downed man (bad choice of words for a pilot!).

I also wanted to add about places charging more than what the .gov charges for backgrounds.

Everyone forgets that all this documentation must be maintained onsite. We get calls all the time from police and ATF asking for traces. We are not computerized and have thousands of documents to search through. Sometimes the trace request dates are not very accurate so you have to pour through several stacks. This we do not get paid for and we have limited personnel. I am not the owner but since working in a private store, I understand somewhat why there are the 'extra' cost/charge. Remember, it is the government requiring all this extra work to begin with and they want us to charge for the system, too. So we post the cost of all of our transfers, Buy from us, FTF, Internet. It gets added to the gun price after taxes are figured in for the gun which is reflected in our hand written receipts. Rolling into the price and not breaking it out is more insidious in my opinion.
    It is you. You have all the weapons that you need. Now fight. --Sucker Punch

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234