39. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

7 17.95%
  • no

32 82.05%
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    (Chester County)

Default Fees when purchasing a new gun?

Do you guys expect to pay a fee when you purchase a new gun?

Last few times I purchased a new gun from a shop I don't think I was charged any background check fees but this time to my surprise I was charged a PIC fee. I already accepted that I'd be paying for instant gratification and fondling the pistol before I buy but I would think the background check should be part of the already marked-up price...

Full disclosure the fee was only $5 on a gun that was $1250 but I could have payed $1100 for it online with shipping and $25 for the transfer.

When I said something about it the guy said "well yeah the checks aren't free".

What are your thoughts?

BTW the CZ Shadow 2 is an amazing pistol and I can't wait to shoot it again.
    Last edited by mdd423; March 12th, 2018 at 11:54 AM.

Default Re: Fees when purchasing a new gun?

You always pay a PICS fee as it comes from the state. My issue is the vendors who charge more then the $5.00 fee that it is. I’ve seen other places charge $10.00 plus.

(Mercer County)

Pennsylvania charges 3 dollars for the back ground check and 2 dollars for the instant check system. I have bought from dealers that include in gun price and others that do not.

(Lehigh County)

Quote Originally Posted by rellisonii View Post
    Pennsylvania charges 3 dollars for the back ground check and 2 dollars for the instant check system. I have bought from dealers that include in gun price and others that do not.
    I almost always ask for the 'out the door' price when buying a gun. It saves surprises. Like he says above, you paid for the pics check one way or the other. If it was not apparent to you, it was buried in the price of the gun.
    Illegitimus non carborundum est

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by gghbi View Post
    I almost always ask for the 'out the door' price when buying a gun. It saves surprises. Like he says above, you paid for the pics check one way or the other. If it was not apparent to you, it was buried in the price of the gun.
    Ask for the out the door price if you pay cash. I always do that, and at some shops it makes a significant difference.
    It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere. Voltaire

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Hodgie View Post
    You always pay a PICS fee as it comes from the state. My issue is the vendors who charge more then the $5.00 fee that it is. I’ve seen other places charge $10.00 plus.
    Yep. There's one sleazy place I know of that charges $50.

(Lycoming County)

Quote Originally Posted by gghbi View Post
    This is what I do as well. I want to know what I'm paying total before I agree to any purchases or try and make a counter offer.

Quote Originally Posted by esh21167 View Post
    Yep. There's one sleazy place I know of that charges $50.
    Do they advertise that or just hit up the unsuspecting. That's ridiculous.

I have seen $ 25 when buying a novice buyer showed me the bill. and this LGS tried to charge him $ 25 when he sold a gun to the store !needless to say never went into that store again even though it was local to us !

I have seen $ 25 when buying a novice buyer showed me the bill. and this LGS tried to charge him $ 25 when he sold a gun to the store !needless to say never went into that store again even though it was local to us !

(Franklin County)

I understand there is a cost to the dealer for the check, but I think that more often than not, I think it's used as an excuse to pad profit. I don't think there is any reason it can't be factored into the price, and the local shop where I bought 2 firearms very recently does just that. I know how to figure sales tax, and I know the fee is attached to every sale and how much it *actually* is. Playing games with the fee makes me distrust you as a business person.

I didn't answer the poll, because I think it's worded poorly. I know a fee is mandatory, so I'm not opposed to it, but I don't agree with inflating it. If the question really is "Should the fee be included in the posted/sticker price?", them my answer would be "Yes."

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast