Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 23
  1. #11
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Chester County, Pennsylvania
    (Chester County)
    Posts
    738
    Rep Power
    20288058

    Default Re: Ridiculous Media Spin

    Quote Originally Posted by free View Post
    Confused. Why does every kid need to buy a bat? Doesn’t the team supply bats??

    It has been a long time...but when I played baseball way back when, the team supplied bats, balls, helmets, etc. sort of everything but what players wear.
    The teams do have some bats and helmets available. The parents cause some grief over sharing helmets, and as Mitch said, the kids just want their own gear. This year a new bat standard was mandated, and no older bats may be used.
    Ya can't argue with figures. Two half nuthins is a whole nuthin.

  2. #12
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Northern Tier, Pennsylvania
    (McKean County)
    Age
    50
    Posts
    6,997
    Rep Power
    21474854

    Default Re: Ridiculous Media Spin

    Talk to me in a year, and we will see how well Dick's is doing.

  3. #13
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Monaca, Pennsylvania
    (Beaver County)
    Posts
    692
    Rep Power
    1821518

    Default Re: Ridiculous Media Spin

    Quote Originally Posted by Article
    Dick’s shares fell 1 cent on Thursday, to $31.53. They are up 10 percent this year.
    Funny the article doesn’t mention that Dick’s stock numbers from the day they announced they are asshole(again)...

    They opened February 28th at just under $32.50.

  4. #14
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    In the can, Pennsylvania
    (Montgomery County)
    Posts
    1,546
    Rep Power
    21474846

    Default Re: Ridiculous Media Spin

    Quote Originally Posted by Walleye Hunter View Post
    You can make a statistic out of anything and I feel insulted when they do it. Maybe I shouldn't, maybe I should just pity the fools who do...i e, "This was the coldest Monday February 2nd on record." Not the coldest Monday, not the coldest day, not even the coldest Monday in February, just the coldest Monday that it happened to be the 2nd of February. It's comical when the sports commentators do it too.
    +1
    When I was in college my economics teacher showed us how he was able to take a single spreadsheet and manipulate the statistical data to any outcome he chose.
    The same data could be manipulated to show a positive statistical output, a negative statistical output, and everything in between.
    Just fodder for the unwashed masses.
    How can you have any cookies if you don't drink your milk?

  5. #15
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    Springfield, Pennsylvania
    (Delaware County)
    Posts
    171
    Rep Power
    7839338

    Default Re: Ridiculous Media Spin

    Some people use statistics as a drunkard uses a lamppost, more for support, than for illumination.
    No man can put a chain about the ankle of his fellow man, without at last finding the other end fastened about his own neck.
    Fredrick Douglass.

  6. #16
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    127.0.0.1, Pennsylvania
    (Lancaster County)
    Posts
    16,526
    Rep Power
    21474865

    Default Re: Ridiculous Media Spin

    Quote Originally Posted by DonBiase View Post
    Some people use statistics as a drunkard uses a lamppost, more for support, than for illumination.
    Rules are written in the stone,
    Break the rules and you get no bones,
    all you get is ridicule, laughter,
    and a trip to the house of pain.

  7. #17
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Gouldsboro, Pennsylvania
    (Wayne County)
    Age
    50
    Posts
    2,320
    Rep Power
    21474848

    Default Re: Ridiculous Media Spin

    Quote Originally Posted by free View Post
    Confused. Why does every kid need to buy a bat? Doesn’t the team supply bats??

    It has been a long time...but when I played baseball way back when, the team supplied bats, balls, helmets, etc. sort of everything but what players wear.
    Don't you know?

    It's because of the new fantasy that a 10 year old is capable of making contact with a baseball so frequently and with such force that they wear out in less than a season.
    "How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessnes."

  8. #18
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Berks County, Pennsylvania
    (Berks County)
    Posts
    1,621
    Rep Power
    12005294

    Default Re: Ridiculous Media Spin

    Quote Originally Posted by Walleye Hunter View Post
    You can make a statistic out of anything and I feel insulted when they do it. Maybe I shouldn't, maybe I should just pity the fools who do...i e, "This was the coldest Monday February 2nd on record." Not the coldest Monday, not the coldest day, not even the coldest Monday in February, just the coldest Monday that it happened to be the 2nd of February. It's comical when the sports commentators do it too.
    Quote Originally Posted by Berncly View Post
    +1
    When I was in college my economics teacher showed us how he was able to take a single spreadsheet and manipulate the statistical data to any outcome he chose.
    The same data could be manipulated to show a positive statistical output, a negative statistical output, and everything in between.
    Just fodder for the unwashed masses.
    The first night in my statistics class, the instructor's first words were 'Statistics never lie, but all liars use statistics.' As you both said, you can make any data set look however you want it to look.

  9. #19
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Lehigh Valley, Pennsylvania
    (Lehigh County)
    Posts
    1,829
    Rep Power
    21474842

    Default Re: Ridiculous Media Spin

    One of my favorite books in high school: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/How_to...ith_Statistics
    Last edited by gghbi; March 18th, 2018 at 06:43 PM.
    Illegitimus non carborundum est

  10. #20
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    South East of disorder
    Posts
    2,377
    Rep Power
    21474846

    Default Re: Ridiculous Media Spin

    Quote Originally Posted by bogey1 View Post
    That upsurge in traffic includes people returning items in protest.
    Guaranteed.

    when I started a thread about , buying and then returning items. It wasn't well received.
    “Proclaim Liberty throughout all the Land unto all the Inhabitants thereof.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Spin Doctor
    By larrymeyer in forum General
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: July 14th, 2009, 08:49 AM
  2. Am I being ridiculous?
    By WVneighbor in forum General
    Replies: 34
    Last Post: July 1st, 2009, 08:09 AM
  3. Replies: 0
    Last Post: October 11th, 2008, 07:19 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Local gun shops | Local shooting ranges | Philadelphia Shooting Ranges | Philadelphia Gun Shops | Pittsburgh Shooting Ranges | Pittsburgh Gun Shops