Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Default Re: Another 2nd Amendment Rally in Harrisburg March 16th 2018

Quote Originally Posted by Emptymag View Post

It's interesting that nobody from that organization is a member here. This forum would have been a free, and effective tool for getting word out about the rally. As it stands, someone from the "outside" did the work for them here.
    Collectively, we have to get better at this. The NRA cannot do it all and should not be expected to. In some respects, I do not believe the NRA is the best organization to lead from a grassroots level. That is not a knock on the NRA. I am a member of the NRA and like the organization, what it does and what it stands for. For example, the NRA does more for real gun safety at a grassroots level than Moms Demand Action ever has or ever will. MDA do not even understand firearms well, let alone educate anyone on safety. They are a gun ban organization, as is "Everytown".

Unfortunately, once the NRA name goes on something it becomes a foil for the media and the left. The NRA is too easy a target and lie about (isolate, demonize, destroy -- Saul Alinsky, right?). It becomes easier for them to demonize one organization instead of dealing with millions of motivated voters that are not so easily labeled as the evil "gun lobby". The media characterizations of the NRA are pure BS, but they stick in a lot of places. Getting out on the streets and into the Statehouses requires a different approach. Our FOAC is good at that. A national coalition of those types of organizations is required.

I wish I had answers. I do not. But I think I am beginning to understand the problem.
    Last edited by Wilderness 1864; March 16th, 2018 at 10:03 PM.

(Allegheny County)

The NRA had nothing to do with the Columbus rally and I don't think they were even mentioned by any of the speakers.

Quote Originally Posted by Emptymag View Post
    The NRA had nothing to do with the Columbus rally and I don't think they were even mentioned by any of the speakers.
    That is a plus, and we need more of it.

I recall years ago during, I believe, the Obama Years of Treason, that some firearms groups from Michigan tried to organize what I recall was styled as a "Million Gun March" or something. There was to be a march in DC and correlated marches at State Capitols. The NRA would not get behind it and I think came out publicly as not being in support. The idea fizzled more or less but there was some marching. Personally, I liked the idea.

I also think the NRA was wise to remain uninvolved. If they had supported it, they would have been mercilessly tagged with anything that might have gone sideways. But it would have been better if they had not commented and let other 2A advocates do their thing. I have seen the media at work. They will pick the most outrageous or emotional character in any conservative rally or march and then make that image the entire story. They will not show reasonable people and they will outright lie about the numbers involved. The media are unscrupulous and thoroughly dishonest in that regard. The NRA is wise to not allow itself to be so easily manipulated.

But, unaffiliated masses of law abiding citizens assembled in one place at one time are hard to ignore. Even if the media lies about them, the politicians see it and understand.

(Westmoreland County)

Quote Originally Posted by Wilderness 1864 View Post
    I have seen the media at work. They will pick the most outrageous or emotional character in any conservative rally or march and then make that image the entire story. They will not show reasonable people and they will outright lie about the numbers involved. The media are unscrupulous and thoroughly dishonest in that regard.

The Media doesn't report news. The Media are entertainment outlets owned by just six Corporate Conglomerates which seek to shape public policy because if they do not Toe the Line they are shut out of government and public policy centers. They directly earn profit from selling advertising, quite of bit of which is to Corporations that do not like armed employees. We call them "Liberal", they do hire a lot of Progressives, but for the most part their employees are Corporate whores.

You could have three hundred people in suits and ties at a rally. The guy or gal in camo with a baby killing semi automatic machine gun is going to get the spot light. Whatever that "death worshiper" says will be creatively edited to make that person sound like the next Los Vegas shooter. These people traffic in perception management, nothing more or less.

"No comment" covers it all. If you want to be nice say "I'm sorry no comment".

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234