Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Bucks County)

Default Toomey - on firearms

Toomey's stance on firearms in case anyone didn't know.

https://www.toomey.senate.gov/?p=op_ed&id=2122

Washington, D.C. - U.S. Senators Pat Toomey (R-Pa.), Chris Coons (D-Del.), Marco Rubio (R-Fla.) and Bill Nelson (D-Fla.) announced new gun safety legislation that will assist states with enforcing existing laws against individuals who attempt to purchase firearms but have no legal right to do so. The NICS Denial Notification Act requires federal authorities to alert state law enforcement within 24 hours when individuals "lie and try" to purchase firearms, which can be a warning sign of criminal behavior. The legislation is also co-sponsored by Sens. John Cornyn (R-Texas), Tammy Duckworth (D-Ill.), Lindsey Graham (R-S.C.), and Claire McCaskill (D-Mo.).

Federal officials are notified when individuals who are legally prohibited from purchasing a firearm (such as convicted felons, fugitives, and domestic abusers) try to buy a gun but fail a National Instant Criminal Background Check System (NICS) background check. These attempted purchases often violate federal and state laws. Unfortunately, the federal government rarely prosecutes any of these individuals.

In the 13 states that run their own background checks using the FBI's NICS system, state authorities are aware when prohibited persons fail background checks and can have state law enforcement investigate these cases. However, in the 37 states and the District of Columbia that rely on the FBI to run some or all of their background checks, state authorities generally are not aware when prohibited persons fail background checks run by the FBI. Individuals who are willing to "lie and try" to buy a gun may be dangerous and willing to obtain guns through other means. As a result, these states and D.C. lack critical law enforcement intelligence that they could use to try to keep their communities safe.

"This NICS Denial Notification Act requires the FBI to notify state law enforcement within 24 hours when a person who is prohibited from getting a gun, such as convicted felon, lies about their background in an attempt to buy one. That is, in itself, a federal felony and it goes almost entirely unprosecuted now," said Senator Toomey. "We can make progress on gun safety while respecting the Second Amendment rights of American citizens, including better enforcing existing gun laws and responding to warning signs that we get of criminal behavior. This bipartisan bill is a critical step forward in helping to ensure that our communities can be safe from criminals."

"We have to find ways to work across the aisle to reduce gun violence, and the NICS Denial Notification Act is one modest, commonsense way to do that," said Senator Coons. "By ensuring that state and federal law enforcement are working together to prevent those who shouldn't be able to buy a gun from getting one, we can make our communities safer. I'm hopeful this legislation can be part of Congress's efforts to comprehensively address gun violence."

"The Parkland shooter was able to carry out this horrific attack because of multi-systematic failures. While we work to ensure that our background check system contains the critical information necessary to be able to conduct an effective background check, we must also ensure that federal and state authorities are successfully communicating with one another when it comes to dangerous individuals and their attempts to acquire firearms," said Senator Rubio. "The NICS Denial Notification Act would not only require federal authorities to flag background check denials for state-level authorities, it would also hold these federal officials accountable. This would be a strong step forward in preventing future tragedies. I urge my colleagues to immediately support this bipartisan legislation so that the president can swiftly sign it into law."

"Efforts to reduce gun violence are only as good as the systems in place to prevent prohibited individuals from obtaining guns," said Senator Nelson. "This bill is just another commonsense way to further those efforts to keep our communities safe from gun violence. I hope we can continue this conversation and continue to work together on comprehensive gun reform."
    About the NICS Denial Notification Act:

• Requires federal authorities to alert state law enforcement of background checks denials, so that state authorities can decide whether to investigate, prosecute, and/or keep an eye on these denied individuals for signs of future criminal activity.
    • Requires DOJ to publish an annual report with statistics about its prosecution of background check denial cases, so Congress and voters can hold federal officials accountable.
    • Endorsed by: Fraternal Order of Police; Major Cities Chiefs Police Association; Federal Law Enforcement Officers Association; National District Attorneys Association; National Domestic Violence Hotline; National Coalition Against Domestic Violence; Everytown for Gun Safety; Giffords

Default Re: Toomey - on firearms

Reply about no more infringements of our rights

Dear XXX

Thank you for taking the time to contact me about the Second Amendment and the regulation of firearms. I appreciate hearing from you.

Pennsylvania has a rich tradition of hunting, and I support the Second Amendment right of law-abiding Americans to own guns for protection, sporting and collection. But, like many Americans, in the wake of the shooting at Sandy Hook Elementary, I believe we need commonsense gun legislation that will help to prevent such tragedies.

The Sandy Hook massacre affected me deeply. The shooter used a military-style assault weapon with magazines containing up to 30 rounds of ammunition. Realizing that he chose this weapon because he wanted to inflict the most damage in the shortest amount of time, and that he would have tried to kill hundreds of children if he could have, led me to reevaluate how we approach gun violence as a Nation. After careful study, I decided to support legislation to close loopholes in the existing background check system, as well as legislation to institute a federal ban on military-style assault weapons and to restrict high-capacity magazines. I voted in favor of these measures, as well as efforts to close a loophole allowing known and suspected terrorists on the Terrorist Watchlist to purchase firearms, when they came before the Senate for consideration in 2013, 2015 and 2016. None of these measures gained enough support to pass the Senate.

As a public official, I believe my colleagues and I have an obligation to enact commonsense reforms that will keep Americans safe and reduce the likelihood of gun violence incidents. We are a Nation of people who come together, roll up our sleeves and solve difficult problems. We can pass smart measures to reduce gun violence while fully respecting the Second Amendment rights of law-abiding citizens. Please be assured that should the Senate consider legislation affecting firearm regulation, I will have your views in mind.

Again, thank you for sharing your thoughts with me. Please do not hesitate to contact me in the future about this or any other matter of importance to you.

For more information on this or other issues, I encourage you to visit my website, http://casey.senate.gov. I hope you will find this online office a comprehensive resource to stay up-to-date on my work in Washington, request assistance from my office or share with me your thoughts on the issues that matter most to you and to Pennsylvania.

Sincerely,

Bob Casey

United States Senator

(Bucks County)

My responses from Casey and Toomey came in at the same time as if their offices are next to each other.

(Delaware County)

Toomey is still stuck on Sandy Hook. Too lazy to update his bullshit line. Both Toomey and Casey are also stuck on stupid.

(Bucks County)

Brian Fitzpatrick just did something similar. Now I don't have anyone to receive my vote.

(Erie County)

Is NICS used in PA? I thought PICS was the system used in PA.. So why should Toomey give a shit about what happens in the other states?

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by SevenMilePete View Post
    Is NICS used in PA? I thought PICS was the system used in PA.. So why should Toomey give a shit about what happens in the other states?
    PA is a Point-of-Contact state for NICS. A PICS check involves a search of several PA databases AS WELL as performing the Federally mandated NICS check.

See details here: PICS Databases.pdf
    IANAL