Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Lehigh County)

Default Philadelphia Airport

Upon Dropping someone off at the Philadelphia Airport Today. When you get to the terminals there is a sign that says: All cars are subject to search. Would it be legal to posses a firearm if you are dropping someone off and never leaving your car? Or is it considered to be part of the airport?

(Philadelphia County)

Default Re: Philadelphia Airport

Quote Originally Posted by Gkgas View Post
    Upon Dropping someone off at the Philadelphia Airport Today. When you get to the terminals there is a sign that says: All cars are subject to search. Would it be legal to posses a firearm if you are dropping someone off and never leaving your car? Or is it considered to be part of the airport?
    I believe (but don't take my word for it as I have nothing to back this up) that the only area where you can't bring a firearm in the airport is the secured area. If you stay outside of the metal detectors (or in your car for that matter) it's no different than carrying on any other private property.

Perhaps GunLawyer or Rule10b5 would be aware of any specific regulations.
    Dan P, Founder & President, Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    Purchase a Forum SubscriptionBuy some PAFOA MerchandiseHelp PAFOA's Search Engine Ranking

(Lehigh County)

Dan,
    I also thought that but this morning it actually looked like the police were searching some cars. I never left my car just dropped off my friend and was gone. Never really thought about it until i saw the signs.

(Luzerne County)

Right before the New Year I took my son to the Philly airport. We parked the car and I walked into the airport, all the while carrying my off-duty weapon. My son got his ticket, etc and I walked with him until it was time for him to go through the metal detectors and on into the secure parts of the airport.

The police are still going to need PC to search your vehicle. The signs are probably posted as more of a deterent, or to scare people who might think about doing something.

(Chester County)

I carry all the time at the airport.

As long as you don't pass the metal detectors, you're fine.

And why would you allow them to search your car?

They still need some level of reasonable suspicion/probable cause in order to compel it. You can post all the "subject to search" signs you want on private property -- it doesn't mean shit. Can your continued presence on the property be conditional to a search? Sure, if the property isn't open to the public in general.
    The material presented herein is for informational purposes only, is not guaranteed to be correct, complete, or up to date, does not constitute legal advice and does not establish an attorney-client relationship. You should NOT act or rely on any information in this post or e-mail without seeking the advice of an attorney YOU have retained.

In plain English, while I am an attorney, I'm NOT your attorney, and I'm NOT giving you legal advice.

(Chester County)

Damnit, Steve, stop cross posting me!

The material presented herein is for informational purposes only, is not guaranteed to be correct, complete, or up to date, does not constitute legal advice and does not establish an attorney-client relationship. You should NOT act or rely on any information in this post or e-mail without seeking the advice of an attorney YOU have retained.

In plain English, while I am an attorney, I'm NOT your attorney, and I'm NOT giving you legal advice.

(Luzerne County)

LOL.........a thousand pardons sah-heeb

(Bucks County)

When they raise the treat level they usually have LEO at the parking garages checking cars as they enter. 9 times out of 10 LEO has asked me if I had any firearms in the car. For the hell of it once I said, Yes and the LEO only asked if I had a permit. Never asked to see it or the gun. He seemed sort of surprised that somebody actually answered Yes. I just did it to see what would happen.....

Seeing who they have looking at the x-ray machines inside, I would not even be too worried about leaving one in my bags as I seriously doubt they would find it.

(Erie County)

Quote Originally Posted by phillyd2 View Post
    When they raise the treat level they usually have LEO at the parking garages checking cars as they enter. 9 times out of 10 LEO has asked me if I had any firearms in the car. For the hell of it once I said, Yes and the LEO only asked if I had a permit. Never asked to see it or the gun. He seemed sort of surprised that somebody actually answered Yes. I just did it to see what would happen.....

Seeing who they have looking at the x-ray machines inside, I would not even be too worried about leaving one in my bags as I seriously doubt they would find it.
    Com'n someone has to hire McDonalds' rejects.

When I flew to Texas for Thanksgiving I checked a couple guns (Cobray M12, PPK, P22). The TSA guy that checked my actually seemed someone intelligent and said he had just moved back to Erie after working in DC with Customs, I think. He asked me why I need a 30rd magzine for my Cobray and I just responded the more the merrier.

Flying back from Austin the TSA guy there was obviously a former McD's employee. He didn't even look at them, let alone open the case.

I'm pretty sure there is a sign in the airport that says something along the lines of "no firearms or prohibited weapons beyond this point."

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by DeltaII5 View Post
    I'm pretty sure there is a sign in the airport that says something along the lines of "no firearms or prohibited weapons beyond this point."
    There is. Its next to the sign prohibiting hair gel.

All you need to know about airport security can be summed by the fact that they do not allow lighters on board but matches are ok. Only after you understand that logic can you fully appreciate what they call security. I happen not to be smart enough to understand but it is amusing to watch.

I'm a smoker who flies well over 100K miles per year. Can you guess how many times they found my lighter?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast