Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Threaded View

(Westmoreland County)

Default Remington R-30 .30 Rem AR

Okay, so I'm off for a few days stuck in between jobs waiting for equipment to be moved. So I'll share the boredom with you guys. Going through the gun room a came across this rifle I bought a few years ago. To be honest I've not yet shot it but I do find it to be a bit of an oddity.

The .30 Rem AR came to my attention via a visit to Dunham's, saw a box of ammo for something I've not seen before and opened a box to discover a short, fat .30 cal round. Went home, did the google thing, decided I liked it, went back to Dunham's and bought 500 rounds. Ordered the rifle from Bud's, seemed like an exceptional deal only to learn later that Bud's had bought the last of the stock and was blowing them out.

It seems Remington threw this out there like they have with so many other chamberings and it wasn't an instant success so the pulled the carpet out from under it in short order.

The chambering was marketed as being equal to a 308 within the AR-15 platform. While it is true that it will smoke a 125 grain bullet as fast as a .308 will shoot a 150 grain bullet it is no .308. More like a .300 Savage which fall almost exactly between the .30-30 and .308. Giving it the potential to be a a great deer rifle out to 300 yards IMO.

Here is one that flopped that probably should have made it.

The rifle itself comes with a 22" barrel, real tree finish and real sling swivel mounts which is handy for my Harris bipod. It also came with one 5 round magazine. I managed to get 3 additional magazines for but I doubt there are any more being made. I'll probably end up putting a Leupold VX2 3x9x40 on top of it. Hunting a deer or wild hog with an AR is on my bucket list. In my mind this set up is about perfect.

For comparisons sake a .223, 300 BO, 7.62x39 and the .30 Rem AR
    Last edited by pennlineman; April 15th, 2018 at 11:51 PM.