Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Columbia County)

Default Voice Vote in Florida state senate almost causes "assault weapons ban" to pass.

According to this article the Florida state Senate used a voice vote to vote on a weapons ban. The the Senate leader ruled the Yeas outnumbered the Nays. Fortunately they took another recorded vote on the same issue where the ban was rejected 21-17 thus overturning the voice vote. It should be noted that the Senate Leader is a republican that was said to have voted Nay. It would be interesting to know his motive on declaring that the voice vote was a win for the Yeas.

The voice vote was the same gimmick they used to pass the Hughes amendment as a part of the “Firearm Owners protection act in 1985. That was the part of the bill that banned the future sales of machine guns to civilians. The vote was never recorded and there are some that say that in fact the nays outnumbered the Yeas but they never took a recorded vote.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...le-AR-15s.html

Another article on the same event shows the extreme exaggerated facts the anti -gun imbeciles are using. A senator that offered arguments in support of the bill said;

State Sen. Linda Stewart, a Democrat who introduced the amendment to ban assault weapons, said on the Senate floor that ammunition from assault weapons can blow up inside the victim’s body and that there is no reason for anyone to have them.
    https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/fl...Kz&ocid=HPCDHP

Although it’s good news that the assault weapons ban failed, the other parts of the bill passed are not good. Included are a 21 age limit to buy any rifle and shotgun, a 3 day waiting period on all firearms and a bump stock ban.

Default Re: Voice Vote in Florida state senate almost causes "assault weapons ban" to pass.

It did pass the Senate and House in FL. Raises age to 21 for long guns. Bans bump stocks. Headed to Governor for signature. So it is still horrible as it does nothing to require law enforcement to be notified by schools of dangerous kids.

(Columbia County)

Default Re: Voice Vote in Florida state senate almost causes "assault weapons ban" to pass.

Quote Originally Posted by LTCcarrier View Post
    It did pass the Senate and House in FL. Raises age to 21 for long guns. Bans bump stocks. Headed to Governor for signature. So it is still horrible as it does nothing to require law enforcement to be notified by schools of dangerous kids.
    The last I read was the Governor wasn't in favor of the allowing some teachers to be armed portion. He may veto that part. Waiting periods suck. I didn't know that FL already had a three day wait for handgun purchases.

(Schuylkill County)

I am a Florida resident and emailed Sen Rubio, Rep DeSantis and my two state reps to complain.
    About the waiting period. It is waived if you have a carry permit.

(Lancaster County)

Three day waiting period? But I'm angry now.
    Rules are written in the stone,
    Break the rules and you get no bones,
    all you get is ridicule, laughter,
    and a trip to the house of pain.

(Washington County)

Quote Originally Posted by streaker69 View Post
    Three day waiting period? But I'm angry now.
    The waiting is the hardest part.

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by marinville View Post
    Rules are written in the stone,
    Break the rules and you get no bones,
    all you get is ridicule, laughter,
    and a trip to the house of pain.

(Columbia County)

Quote Originally Posted by marinville View Post
    I remember when PA had a mandatory 48 hour waiting period for handguns. Most shops waited three days and some didn’t release the handgun until 5 days. To complicate matters even more, some FFL dealers were allegedly told by the sheriff in their county that only business days counted for the waiting period, so if someone bought a firearm on a Friday, Saturday and Sunday didn’t count and if Monday was a holiday that was another non-countable day. I don’t want to go back to those days.

(Philadelphia County)

I vaguely remember having to wait five days to complete a handgun purchase.I don't remember when that requirement was stopped.
    There are no pacts between lions and men.

(Columbia County)

Quote Originally Posted by Krichardson View Post
    I vaguely remember having to wait five days to complete a handgun purchase.I don't remember when that requirement was stopped.
    It was stopped after the passage of the Brady Law (92?). The Brady law mandated that after an instantaneous check was implemented there was no need for waiting periods. Pa state Police formed PICs and the Crimes code was amended.
    Last edited by eagleclaw; March 9th, 2018 at 03:45 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast