Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    (Lancaster County)

Default Re: Is AR-15 for big game OK'd just a rumor?

Quote Originally Posted by Remington788 View Post
    Sorry, AR-15's are not allowed for small game hunting (unless it is chambered in .22 caliber or less RIMFIRE.
    The exception to this in small game is groundhog. There are no caliber restrictions on them.
    For furbearers, you may use semi-automatic rifles in any caliber, so you can use them for thing like coyotes, fox, racoons, skunks, possums etc.
    Wow, you are correct, Leave it to our beloved Game Commision to really overcomplicate things, The manual is horribly laid out, you'd think something as drastic as a change in legal firearms would be clearly stated as soon as you open the book on the first page or two, not spread out through the entire manual

I have been following this fairly closely and I am calling the "rumor" of brief use of autoloaders in the 16-17 season somewhat hard to belive

What I do think is the PGC is making this so complicated that they are banking on uninformed people using autoloaders where prohibited to give us all a "we told you so " moment and stop it all together, they do not have their hearts and minds wrapped up in this

For 20 years now we have had a lot of service people come home from the sandbox, the only firearm many of them are familiar with and some very good with is the AR-15 style rifle.(I carried one in the Iranian Hostage crisis and Beirut late 70's 80's) If the hunting heritage is to grow and prosper in Penns Woods, the PGC has to get with the 21st century and allow this to happen

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by SgtRecon View Post
    Wow, you are correct, Leave it to our beloved Game Commision to really overcomplicate things, The manual is horribly laid out, you'd think something as drastic as a change in legal firearms would be clearly stated as soon as you open the book on the first page or two, not spread out through the entire manual

I have been following this fairly closely and I am calling the "rumor" of brief use of autoloaders in the 16-17 season somewhat hard to belive

What I do think is the PGC is making this so complicated that they are banking on uninformed people using autoloaders where prohibited to give us all a "we told you so " moment and stop it all together, they do not have their hearts and minds wrapped up in this

For 20 years now we have had a lot of service people come home from the sandbox, the only firearm many of them are familiar with and some very good with is the AR-15 style rifle.(I carried one in the Iranian Hostage crisis and Beirut late 70's 80's) If the hunting heritage is to grow and prosper in Penns Woods, the PGC has to get with the 21st century and allow this to happen
    To make things worse, they chose this year, with all those confusing changes, to stop distributing free printed digests. Online or pay $6 for a hard copy.

Personally, I won't carry my AR for deer. I just love carrying my Win-'94 and 2 weeks in December is my only chance. I can take the AR out for 'yotes any time.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by norb5150 View Post
    When it was first ok'd to allow for semi-auto rifles to be used for hunting there were no regulations concerning big game. However a whole miraid of dumb assed PA hunters all over the entire state were unloading on the deer herds and that stemmed a huge outcry from PA hunters to the PA game commission to not allow for semi autos to be used for big game in PA. The game commission received more emails, phone calls, and letters from PA hunters then they did from antis and animal rights groups concerning the use of semis for big game hunting. And yes I was a letter sender but all I asked was for 5 round magazine restrictions the same as standard hunting rifles. When I got a reply email it was explained to me the amount of people who wrote in with concerns. There's probably a ton of members on here who wrote in also but don't have the balls to fess up.
    So you are to blame. And for no reason as your memory of semiautomatic big game deer season never happened. Do you have a hi point and were you ever a mall cop?

(Erie County)

Quote Originally Posted by Gunsnwater View Post
    So you are to blame. And for no reason as your memory of semiautomatic big game deer season never happened. Do you have a hi point and were you ever a mall cop?
    certainly for both questions.
    Muzzel Down Range, Eyes On Target...

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by norb5150 View Post
    certainly for both questions.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Gunsnwater View Post
    To be fair, it's possible that he was hunting around other people that couldn't read. I distinctly remember the PGC having to send out a reminder email in the middle of the season that semi autos were still illegal for hunting, which to me implies that they caught a bunch of guys trying to hunt with semi autos.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by TooBigToFit View Post
    To be fair, it's possible that he was hunting around other people that couldn't read. I distinctly remember the PGC having to send out a reminder email in the middle of the season that semi autos were still illegal for hunting, which to me implies that they caught a bunch of guys trying to hunt with semi autos.
    I do remember getting those emails and laughing.

I don't know how you could possibly not know the laws before and during the hunting seasons. Too many people here BS at work or at the bars and never confirm it's validity. It was clear as hell that the game commission voted on March 28th 2017 that semi-auto rifles were NOT legal to hunt big game for the upcoming 2017 season. It was plastered in every newspaper and local TV news.
    On the same lines, I see people trout fishing in streams that are closed to all fishing from March 1st to the opening of trout season. Hell I saw a guy fishing by my camp on Sunday March 4th on Long Run in Clinton County which is a Class A Wild Trout Stream. That stream is closed to trout fishing from September 1st to the opener of trout season. No one reads the books! Yes they are poorly written but the laws are in there.
    Engineers make things idiot proof! Evolution makes better idiots!

Wounder how bad the lawman would freek out if you were sporting one of these or any bolt ar for that matter.

http://uintahprecision.com/product/b...pper-assembly/

(Bucks County)

Game Commission shoud exclude that bolt action version, on the same basis as not allowing baiting. Deer would freeze and stare at that rifle, wondering what the hell is that. Unfair advantage.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast