Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Montgomery County)

Default Gun Violence Restraining Order

In response to these two threads http://forum.pafoa.org/showthread.php?t=332229 forum.pafoa.org/showthread.php?t=332198, i wonder if PA will introduce something similar. I do not wan't to sound like a cuck, but if such legislation does have an opportunity to pass, make sure the wording is safe. CA did this, it had problems, and Gov. Brown had it fixed.

Right now, the laws proposed by trump, and now I guess imposed in VT, RI, and NJ, anyone can strip you of your rights, with no due process and without you ever knowing. What CA did to fix it was actually impose due process, and only immediate family, and friends were paid any attention to, and the allegation had to hold water. CA made it a crime to falsely accuse someone. This provides protection against some jackass who has a dislike towards you, to include family members. IF any such legislation comes up and has a chance, make sure the language provides such protection. When people think you are mentally defective for defending the second amendment, or when posting videos or photos are may be taken as a threat by a Hoplophobe, this protection is extremely important, and must be a crime to make such false accusations with the intent of striping a citizens constitutional rights.

(Westmoreland County)

Default Re: Gun Violence Restraining Order

Quote Originally Posted by coppery View Post
    In response to these two threads http://forum.pafoa.org/showthread.php?t=332229 forum.pafoa.org/showthread.php?t=332198, i wonder if PA will introduce something similar. I do not wan't to sound like a cuck, but if such legislation does have an opportunity to pass, make sure the wording is safe. CA did this, it had problems, and Gov. Brown had it fixed.

Right now, the laws proposed by trump, and now I guess imposed in VT, RI, and NJ, anyone can strip you of your rights, with no due process and without you ever knowing. What CA did to fix it was actually impose due process, and only immediate family, and friends were paid any attention to, and the allegation had to hold water. CA made it a crime to falsely accuse someone. This provides protection against some jackass who has a dislike towards you, to include family members. IF any such legislation comes up and has a chance, make sure the language provides such protection. When people think you are mentally defective for defending the second amendment, or when posting videos or photos are may be taken as a threat by a Hoplophobe, this protection is extremely important, and must be a crime to make such false accusations with the intent of striping a citizens constitutional rights.

If I'm not mistaken we already have a ownership disability with a PFA in PA.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by GeneCC View Post
    If I'm not mistaken we already have a ownership disability with a PFA in PA.
    Yes, but a PFA is to protect the petitioner, not the respondent. These "red flag" or Emergency Response Protection Orders are to protect the person from themselves.

Which is gonna do SOOOO much to stop mass shootings...

(Wayne County)

Personally, as long as there are provisions for 1. Immediate restoration of rights once the person is determined to be either "not a harm to self and others" or "no longer a harm to self and others" and 2. Penalties for false or capricious accusations, then I really don't have any objection to this kind of action.

No one wants mentally disturbed people to have access to firearms. Everyone can agree on that. What we don't want is a system where temporary suspension of the right to possess firearms is used abusively or has no provision for the rights to be restored once they are found to be false or when the person has been treated to the point that they are no longer a threat.

This is common ground shit that we should actually be working on from both sides rather than us railing against any proposal other than status quo.
    Sed ego sum homo indomitus

(Lebanon County)

Not to mention storage and handling of seized firearms. Seen too much evidence of damage from irresponsible handling.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by nijwnfi View Post
    Not to mention storage and handling of seized firearms. Seen too much evidence of damage from irresponsible handling.
    QFT. When I went to pick my property up from the Sheriff in Doylestown after my PFA horseshit I was disgusted to see where they were stored. They were all basically stored in the boiler/HVAC maintenance room. I looked around and any firearms that weren't in a case were rusted to shit thanks to the high humidity and were just stacked on top of each other. Thankfully all mine were in cases...

(Susquehanna County)

If and When there needs to be strong wording about protection of property while in storage.. and IMMEDIATE return once cleared..

I work with a guy in NY who broke up with a crazy one. She went to the Sheriff and said he threatened to beat her up and got a PFA. They arrested him out of the office, went to his house and confiscated all his firearms (shotgun, deer rifles and 2 pistols). He fought it in court and had the PFA lifted because there was NO evidence of a threat, and well she is a crazy bitch.. That was almost 3 years ago.
    Every year he petitions the Sheriff to get his firearms back. The Sheriff says he doesn't think it's time yet... oh and rescinded his pistol permit so he can only eventually get his long guns back

Yes that is NY with a NY citizen.. but that is our fear everywhere
    Retired US Army
    NRA Life Member, GOA, USCCA
    "Artificial intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity"

Quote Originally Posted by Sgt.K View Post
    Yes, but a PFA is to protect the petitioner, not the respondent. These "red flag" or Emergency Response Protection Orders are to protect the person from themselves.

Which is gonna do SOOOO much to stop mass shootings...
    They did not do anything for the L I shootings in the 1980s.Actor still got onto property and killed his wife with a firearm he was not supposed to have access to.

(Clarion County)

Quote Originally Posted by Sandcut View Post
    No one wants mentally disturbed people to have access to firearms. Everyone can agree on that.
    True. What concerns me is who defines the parameters for confiscation.
    Also the ability of the responders to accurately diagnose will be in question.
    I believe in due process first.
    It ain't what they call you, it's what you answer to.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by MARINE DIVISION TWO View Post
    They did not do anything for the L I shootings in the 1980s.Actor still got onto property and killed his wife with a firearm he was not supposed to have access to.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast