Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Philadelphia County)

Default Philadelphia LTCF application and references

As a heads-up, the Philadelphia Gun Permit Unit appears to currently require that the applicant fill in the references section on the application. The officer who announced this to the waiting room (I am sitting in the GPU waiting as I write this) specifically stated she’s aware of what “it says online” and claimed it refers only to the separate form your references used to fill out. I don’t know if they will continue on to contact them (which is also forbidden by the same settlement that supposedly prevents them from requiring references).

(Delaware County)

Default Re: Philadelphia LTCF application and references

Quote Originally Posted by azalin View Post
    As a heads-up, the Philadelphia Gun Permit Unit appears to currently require that the applicant fill in the references section on the application. The officer who announced this to the waiting room (I am sitting in the GPU waiting as I write this) specifically stated she’s aware of what “it says online” and claimed it refers only to the separate form your references used to fill out. I don’t know if they will continue on to contact them (which is also forbidden by the same settlement that supposedly prevents them from requiring references).

(Montgomery County)

It was certainly the intent of the class action settlement to prevent the city from demanding any references, including those on the statewide form. However, the City interpreted the settlement agreement differently, apparently thinking it only prohibited them from demanding additional information besides what is on the statewide form. It's my understanding that Joshua Prince litigated this issue in front of the judge in Philadelphia and lost. Josh can correct me if I'm wrong. He may also indicate what the status of the matter is - e.g. whether he appealed the Judge's decision.

(Philadelphia County)

I suspect the City's position is that since the PSP form is standard across the state, other counties require references to be supplied, the decision only affected Philadelphia, and the court's jurisdiction can't alter a state-level requirement, Philadelphia can still require the reference section of the form to be completed.

I do have to say that, other than the surprise of having to come up with a pair of references on the spot, the process was very smooth. All of the officers staffing the GPU were professional and friendly (Notably, everyone I saw working the GPU that day was female and dressed in casual or business casual clothes). I indicated my occupation as "Student" and wrote "n/a" for all of the employer info boxes and wasn't questioned in any way about it. I was told it would be ready in 40 calendar days (She seemed to combine the 45 day maximum time with the 40 day period before you can check the application status). I have heard of people receiving their LTCF in a few weeks, so we'll see.

They do take confidentiality seriously during the application process. You sign in with initials only and are called up by number. No names are called aloud. The interview consists of being asked the same questions on the PSP form, as well as your mother's maiden name, father's name and whether you (in no particular order):

• Have any tattoos
    • Have ever used marijuana or an illegal drug
    • Have ever been treated for alcohol or drug addiction
    • Have ever pointed a firearm at someone in an unlawful manner
    • Have ever attempted suicide
    • Are currently intoxicated or under the influence of an illegal drug
    • Have any unpaid parking fines or moving violations
    • Have ever been arrested
    • Understand the LTCF is not a license for employment purposes

There may have been some other questions I forgot, but that was most of them. The officer made copies of my supporting documentation, and based on the length of time taken to do this, I suspect they ran a PICS or similar check at the same time.

(Delaware County)

• Have any tattoos
    • Have ever used marijuana or an illegal drug
    • Have ever been treated for alcohol or drug addiction
    • Have ever pointed a firearm at someone in an unlawful manner
    • Have ever attempted suicide
    • Are currently intoxicated or under the influence of an illegal drug
    • Have any unpaid parking fines or moving violations
    • Have ever been arrested
    • Understand the LTCF is not a license for employment purposes

Pray tell, what part of the form are these questions on? I don't seem to recall seeing them when a filled mine out a few weeks ago.

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by Sgt.K View Post
    Pray tell, what part of the form are these questions on? I don't seem to recall seeing them when a filled mine out a few weeks ago.
    It's not on the PSP form and I didn't say they were. I described the interview process of applying for the LTCF in Philadelphia.

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by Sgt.K View Post
    Part of the investigation process, which they are allowed to do.

Quote Originally Posted by Carson View Post
    Part of the investigation process, which they are allowed to do.
    Do you think that is ok?
    Aggies Coach Really ??? Take off the tin foil bro.

(Erie County)

It's not on the PSP form and I didn't say they were. I described the interview process of applying for the LTCF in Philadelphia.
    Interview process? An interview is required in Philadephia? My interviews in Erie County consisted of : sit there, I'll take your photo, OK, it will be mailed to you within two to three weeks. It took about five minutes. No wait to see the Deputy.

(Bucks County)

For what it's worth, I appeared in Bucks county sheriff's office mid February to renew my LTCF and the form required two references. I have no idea whether they would have said anything had I left them blank, which I did not. I also do not know if they contacted them but will eventually find out.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast