Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    (Berks County)

Default Re: Field Dressing Knife

I might wear a nose plug to be safe however guts don't bother me! That's what I always said, I can stand anything (although watching people with the but pullers gets me a little and when they cut the does junk off ha ha!) but smells so as a precaution I will bring a swimmers noseplug. I have the shoulder gloves and the nitrile gloves already!
    Gunowner99 - NRA Benefactor Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by wis bang View Post
    I loaned my buck 110 and a bunch of bandaids to a guy who tried to use a wyoming knife after loosing the red plastic guard...due to his buck fever he had shreadred his thumb badly...

I now use a folder from Wal Mart...$4.00 and I don;t care if I loose it, like my last Bucklite...

I never used a gut hook, I peel the fur at the base of the breastbone and make a small cut that I carefully open until I get fingers inside then work my way down...
    Getting deer blood in an open cut is not good. I know people who got some nasty infections that way and lost fingers.
    I don't speak English , I talk American!

(Perry County)

Quote Originally Posted by Gunowner99 View Post
    I might wear a nose plug to be safe however guts don't bother me! That's what I always said, I can stand anything (although watching people with the but pullers gets me a little and when they cut the does junk off ha ha!) but smells so as a precaution I will bring a swimmers noseplug. I have the shoulder gloves and the nitrile gloves already!
    Quote Originally Posted by abner13 View Post
    Getting deer blood in an open cut is not good. I know people who got some nasty infections that way and lost fingers.
    You guys are making it sound bad that I cut the deer open and squirm into the body cavity for a bit of warmth before I get to gutting it with my teeth and bare hands.
    "A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself"

"He created the game, played the game, and lost the game.... All under his own terms, by his own doing." JW34

"Tolerance is the lube that helps slip the dildo of dysfunction into the ass of a civilized society." Plato

(Berks County)

Okay Luke!

And I think that is called a Ton-Ton.

(Susquehanna County)

I was told MANY years ago by an old hunter..."if it's too big to fit in your pocket, too big to comfortably whittle or clean your fingernails with...it too damn big to gut a deer with"
    Gut hooks are nice but definitely needed
    Retired US Army
    NRA Life Member, GOA, USCCA
    "Artificial intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity"

(Berks County)

Are not?

(Allegheny County)

I haven't dressed a deer (only helped), only squirrels and goose. But I will say it's probably a good idea to get a non camo knife. I have a cheap orange Mora of some sort. Being orange is nice for if I set it aside for a moment. Harder to lose amongst the leaves!

Quote Originally Posted by TooBigToFit View Post
    I haven't dressed a deer (only helped), only squirrels and goose. But I will say it's probably a good idea to get a non camo knife. I have a cheap orange Mora of some sort. Being orange is nice for if I set it aside for a moment. Harder to lose amongst the leaves!
    Good point.

After years of always having to look around for my knife I placed some orange duct tape around the handle.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by unclejumbo View Post
    You guys are making it sound bad that I cut the deer open and squirm into the body cavity for a bit of warmth before I get to gutting it with my teeth and bare hands.
    Man, I'm happy to hear that.

I thought I was the only one!!

As a youngster, grade school, I used to pass out at the thought of blood in health class.
    At our 50th class reunion, one of my grade school friends was surprised that I hunted and don't do too badly at it.
    She said I used to turn white just before I went down.

I think becoming a plumber and picking turds out of the sewer with bare hands got me over that.
    Catching a rat with a sewer snake hook and pulling half of one out may have helped as well but it's a story that almost made my plumber friend throw up his lunch. I, on the other hand almost pissed myself laughing at him.
    Opinions are like anal apertures. They all stink but mine.

(Perry County)

Quote Originally Posted by 27hand View Post
    Man, I'm happy to hear that.

I thought I was the only one!!

As a youngster, grade school, I used to pass out at the thought of blood in health class.
    At our 50th class reunion, one of my grade school friends was surprised that I hunted and don't do too badly at it.
    She said I used to turn white just before I went down.

I think becoming a plumber and picking turds out of the sewer with bare hands got me over that.
    Catching a rat with a sewer snake hook and pulling half of one out may have helped as well but it's a story that almost made my plumber friend throw up his lunch. I, on the other hand almost pissed myself laughing at him.
    When you've seen people unintentionally gutted, deer ain't shit.
    "A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself"

"He created the game, played the game, and lost the game.... All under his own terms, by his own doing." JW34

"Tolerance is the lube that helps slip the dildo of dysfunction into the ass of a civilized society." Plato

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast