Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Philadelphia County)

Default S&W Shield vs Glock 43

Which one would prefer for and edc pistol? I'm going back and forth but leaning towards the Glock currently.

Default Re: S&W Shield vs Glock 43

I have had both now since each of their release and if I had to choose one it would be the Shield, out of the box it's a better gun in every way there is. The only advantage the 43 has for me is that it's lighter and conceals a tiny but better. My wife carries the Shield everyday now so I carry the Glock but I've been considering getting another Shield 2.0 and switching back.

It's also about a $100.00 cheaper for the Shield.

(Washington County)

Quote Originally Posted by Hodgie View Post
    I have had both now since each of their release and if I had to choose one it would be the Shield, out of the box it's a better gun in every way there is. The only advantage the 43 has for me is that it's lighter and conceals a tiny but better. My wife carries the Shield everyday now so I carry the Glock but I've been considering getting another Shield 2.0 and switching back.

It's also about a $100.00 cheaper for the Shield.
    I will admit that I have never so much as held either firearm, let alone fired them extensively. Still, I'm confused by this post. I would think the lighter gun that conceals better would tend to be preferable, at least in the category of a single stack 9mm. I'm not sure what other qualifications there really are for such a firearm. It seems unlikely there is a huge difference in shootability or reliability. If I recall correctly, you get an extra round or two with a shield. I guess that could be a positive, if it didn't increase the grip length proportionally.

Picked the G 43 years ago over the Shield,Just did not like the trying to load the mag found it loading to capacity a pain,accuracy was good and functioning but wanted an edc that would ccw discreetly better than the shield.Not bashing the Shiel at all between the two there was no need for MFgs to come up with their own version single stack !

(Chester County)

I like the Shield. It shoots like a full size gun if that makes sense. I never had any jams with mine. The new 2.0 m&p series is pretty nice. I think a 2.0 Shield is pretty hard to beat for edc. Nothing against Glocks, I carry one at work. I just prefer S&W.
    "The Constitution is the guide which I will not abandon.” - George Washington

(Allegheny County)

G43.

I would say shoot them both, they are not uncommon & any range should have both for rent.

I don't care for the articulated trigger of the shield personally.

(Blair County)

Quote Originally Posted by marinville View Post
    I will admit that I have never so much as held either firearm, let alone fired them extensively. Still, I'm confused by this post. I would think the lighter gun that conceals better would tend to be preferable, at least in the category of a single stack 9mm. I'm not sure what other qualifications there really are for such a firearm. It seems unlikely there is a huge difference in shootability or reliability. If I recall correctly, you get an extra round or two with a shield. I guess that could be a positive, if it didn't increase the grip length proportionally.
    Just depends I guess, I dont like either one, I feel for me anything smller then a G26 is too small to get a good grip on quickly and draw.

(Berks County)

The shield being cheaper is the gun for the evidence locker if you ever need to defend yourself. $199 has a ton of appeal. I pick the first version of the shield for this reason. That is when I'm not carrying the used 640-1 with the crimson trace it came with.

(Bucks County)

I Like the Shield, I like the G43, both have been my edc for a long time......But, I now carry the SIG P365......it's better in every way I can think of.
    YMMV.
    Its easier to fool people than to convince them they've been fooled....Mark Twain

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast