Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Bucks County)

Default Run and gun ranges in pa

Hey guys new to the forum here and thanks for taking the time to read this

I'm wondering where I can go to get a little more out of my guns then putting together groups on paper is there any ranges where I can "run and gun" or even if I can only stay put at least be able to switch from Diffrent targets quickly and with out a restriction on how much I can load up at a time

When ever I watch some of the YouTube gun channels they always seem to be at an awsome range where they can walk through alil course or just in general get alil more out of the carbine or pistol

So where are they at in pa? I'm in South eastern pa but willing to travel here and there

(Delaware County)

Default Re: Run and gun ranges in pa

Quote Originally Posted by Trvrdgr1234 View Post
    Hey guys new to the forum here and thanks for taking the time to read this

I'm wondering where I can go to get a little more out of my guns then putting together groups on paper is there any ranges where I can "run and gun" or even if I can only stay put at least be able to switch from Diffrent targets quickly and with out a restriction on how much I can load up at a time

When ever I watch some of the YouTube gun channels they always seem to be at an awsome range where they can walk through alil course or just in general get alil more out of the carbine or pistol

So where are they at in pa? I'm in South eastern pa but willing to travel here and there
    I don't know that any free places (like State Game Lands) permit that, there are others here who could answer that.

I don't personally know of any public ranges where you can pay for a lane (e.g. $15/hr) and do this.

There are at least a handful of ranges and/or clubs that allow it for members who have been certified safe for "action pistol" by their standards.

Warm up your Google-fu and look up IDPA, IPSC, USPSA, and ICORE. These are the most common "action pistol" organizations. Most places that host one of these will host more than one, and - in my experience - do not require you be a member of the range/club to participate, just follow the rules of the organization. These places are also more likely to permit members to do "action" shooting.

I participate in IDPA. Some people shoot in many, plus Steel Challenge, 3-gun, and others, but here is what I can tell you for IDPA in SE PA:

Bridgeville Rifle & Pistol Club, Bridgeville, DE - 30 miles south of Dover
    Guthsville Rod & Gun Club, Orefield, PA - near Allentown exit of 476
    Wilkes-Barre Rifle & Pistol Club, Hunlock Creek, PA - near Wilkes-Barre
    Blue Ridge Cherry Valley Rod & Gun Club, Sciota, PA - near Stroudsburg
    Ontelaunee Rod & Gun Club, New Tripoli, PA - west of Allentown
    Hellertown Sportsmen Association, Hellertown, PA - Allentown/Easton area
    Lower Providence Rod & Gun Club, Audubon, PA - Valley Forge

All of these are within 2 hours of me (Wilkes-Barre if I hurry). I have not been to Hellertown, which does IDPA on Tuesday evenings. I have been to all of the others on Saturday or Sunday. There are a handful in NJ within 2 hours, but I can no longer bring myself to cross the river - if you want to go there, use Google.

None that I am aware of although if your legal Hogans Alley is still active on Long Island Southampton usually reserved for active and retired LEOs.

(Northampton County)

Not sure if this is what you are looking for, but Easton Fish & Game Association has an Action Range

(Columbia County)

You will have to join a gun club to do that kind of activity. Some do have strict rules so you need to find one that aren't Fudd clubs.

(Washington County)

We must be doing a lousy job of advertising our range:

http://www.washingtoncountyguns.com/range/

From our site: We have designed this range for shooters that want to use their AR’s and handguns as they were meant to be shot in real-world applications with no limit on number of rounds in magazine or rate of fire, from rapid-fire AR shooting to quick-draw pistol shooting to rifle & pistol transition drills (move and shoot) using paper targets or bowling pins or even electronic targets capable of timing your shooting down to hundreds of a second.
    Washington County Machine Guns & Tactical Range -- CMP Affiliated Club -- FFL 07 / FFL 10 / FEL 20 / SOT 02 / ITAR
    Largest MG Rental Business on the entire East Coast. M2HB, M9 Flamethrower, M67 Grenades, M240 Bravo, M249 SAW, M1919, RPD, M60, Bowling Ball Mortar.
    Now offering High-Explosive Classes (Open to the Public)

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by WCMG View Post
    We must be doing a lousy job of advertising our range:

http://www.washingtoncountyguns.com/range/

From our site: We have designed this range for shooters that want to use their AR’s and handguns as they were meant to be shot in real-world applications with no limit on number of rounds in magazine or rate of fire, from rapid-fire AR shooting to quick-draw pistol shooting to rifle & pistol transition drills (move and shoot) using paper targets or bowling pins or even electronic targets capable of timing your shooting down to hundreds of a second.
    Your range looks pretty damn awsome but I live right on the Delaware river I couldn't possibly be farther away unless I was in a completely different state

Appreciate the info

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by eagleclaw View Post
    You will have to join a gun club to do that kind of activity. Some do have strict rules so you need to find one that aren't Fudd clubs.
    Is there any specific ones you'd suggest

Thanks

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Sgt.K View Post
    I don't know that any free places (like State Game Lands) permit that, there are others here who could answer that.

I don't personally know of any public ranges where you can pay for a lane (e.g. $15/hr) and do this.

There are at least a handful of ranges and/or clubs that allow it for members who have been certified safe for "action pistol" by their standards.

Warm up your Google-fu and look up IDPA, IPSC, USPSA, and ICORE. These are the most common "action pistol" organizations. Most places that host one of these will host more than one, and - in my experience - do not require you be a member of the range/club to participate, just follow the rules of the organization. These places are also more likely to permit members to do "action" shooting.

I participate in IDPA. Some people shoot in many, plus Steel Challenge, 3-gun, and others, but here is what I can tell you for IDPA in SE PA:

Bridgeville Rifle & Pistol Club, Bridgeville, DE - 30 miles south of Dover
    Guthsville Rod & Gun Club, Orefield, PA - near Allentown exit of 476
    Wilkes-Barre Rifle & Pistol Club, Hunlock Creek, PA - near Wilkes-Barre
    Blue Ridge Cherry Valley Rod & Gun Club, Sciota, PA - near Stroudsburg
    Ontelaunee Rod & Gun Club, New Tripoli, PA - west of Allentown
    Hellertown Sportsmen Association, Hellertown, PA - Allentown/Easton area
    Lower Providence Rod & Gun Club, Audubon, PA - Valley Forge

All of these are within 2 hours of me (Wilkes-Barre if I hurry). I have not been to Hellertown, which does IDPA on Tuesday evenings. I have been to all of the others on Saturday or Sunday. There are a handful in NJ within 2 hours, but I can no longer bring myself to cross the river - if you want to go there, use Google.
    Yeah man I'd like to those at some point I'll have to look up witch competition does what and all that stuff

I'll call these places and see if they only allow it while there isn't a competition I guess my question to you would be since you compete in those where do you go to practice doing it?

Thanks for all the leads man

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by Trvrdgr1234 View Post
    Yeah man I'd like to those at some point I'll have to look up witch competition does what and all that stuff

I'll call these places and see if they only allow it while there isn't a competition I guess my question to you would be since you compete in those where do you go to practice doing it?

Thanks for all the leads man
    One of the jokes is that IDPA stands for "I Don't Practice Anymore". Unless you are a member of a club that permits action shooting (and I assume most that I listed do), I don't know of a way to practice shooting matches other than shooting matches. I honestly haven't fired a shot outside of a match in over 3 years - but I've shot 87 IDPA matches since Memorial Day weekend 2016, or 91 weeks. I intend to get my average back up to 1/week by Memorial Day this year - just because.

All that said, dry fire is highly recommended.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast