Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910
    (York County)

Default Re: Teachers carrying question

Quote Originally Posted by free View Post
    On the flip side - maybe teachers will agree that one only needs 130 hours of training to become a teacher.
    Near as I can tell, 130 or 1,300 or 13,000 hours doesn't matter to be a teacher. Mostly they're a bunch of 'can't do it, so teach it' failures.

There are a few, and 100% props to them, who are actually there out of a calling, who truly want/can/do give it all for their students. THOSE teachers have my undying respect.

They are a (regrettably) a distinct minority IMHE. And most of them in that camp are beset-upon by most of their peers, who focus on go-along-get-along and don't-rock-the-boat methodologies.

One thing I'm sure of. "teachers unions" are there to protect the vested interests of teachers, not of students.
    DGAF

(Erie County)

Quote Originally Posted by Williamsmith View Post
    Well, if we are going to have to repeal federal and state gun free zones to arm teachers, we might as well make an exception for them to be armed with select fire pistols capable of automatic and burst fire. They should also have a flash bang available to disorient the attacker. And perhaps a bullet proof shield in the corner of the classroom and bullet proof blankets for the students to hide under.
    Personally, I think every classroom and hallway should be equipped with an AR sized locked cabinet, with an AR with a 30 round mag, one in the chamber, with a combination lock that any teacher can open, who wants the combination. The combination should be changed once a week. Like a fire extinguisher, for school attacks.

(Luzerne County)

I saw something on tv yesterday. There is a system out that acts much like a standard sprinkler. But it works off sound. When it detects gun shots it will flood the area with a mix of viniger and water. This will sting the shooters eyes and make it hard to breathe. The segment goes on to praise the system how great it is. It will only cost between 30 and 60,000 a room to install. Of course it will also need to be tested and maintained annually.

How many rooms in a school?
    troll Free. It's all in your mind.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Emptymag View Post
    If teachers don't want to carry guns or otherwise "do" anything to protect their students, why don't they go on strike to demand more security at their schools instead of going on strike to demand a pay raise for themselves?
    Same reason why property tax payers don’t refuse to pay property taxes until schools put in more security.

(Erie County)

Quote Originally Posted by SevenMilePete View Post
    Personally, I think every classroom and hallway should be equipped with an AR sized locked cabinet, with an AR with a 30 round mag, one in the chamber, with a combination lock that any teacher can open, who wants the combination. The combination should be changed once a week. Like a fire extinguisher, for school attacks.
    This might be their prototype.

Quote Originally Posted by Aggies Coach View Post
    Cause white people are awesome. Happy now......LOL.

(Erie County)

Quote Originally Posted by Gun View Post
    This might be their prototype.

Well, I don't think we want the students accessing it, without good reason. But pretty close to what I had in mind.

(Tioga County)

Quote Originally Posted by SevenMilePete View Post
    A fingerprint or hand print lock would be better. If a staff member becomes disqualified for some reason. the ID can be removed in minutes. New ones almost as fast.
    USNRET '61-'81

(Bucks County)

Break Glass is a bad system. Nothing provided on site by which to break the glass.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by Gun View Post
    Has this happened in the states that allow armed teachers?
    I don't think there is any data on this since so few do it. I think it's more helpful to look at the example of collegiate campuses where concealed carry has been allowed. Although not a perfect match since the environments are different, there have been very few issues where cc has been permitted. Utah, Colorado, Texas, to a limited extent here in PA, etc etc. None of the fears have materialized of classrooms turning into the O.K. Corral or learning environments being altered significantly. I would imagine k-12 schools would be similar. It is interesting to note that most of the issues reported where cc has been allowed on college campuses is of police officers "negligently" discharging firearms while giving presentations. Go figure
    Opera Non Verba

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910