Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    (Tioga County)

Default Re: Teachers carrying question

One thing that worries me somewhat is the idea of fair play and you shouldn't shoot someone in the back. In the case of an active shooter in a school or other public place. I don't care what direction they are facing. SHOOT THE SOB.
    USNRET '61-'81

(Erie County)

Quote Originally Posted by GunLawyer001 View Post
    It should be concealed carry, and teachers shouldn't talk about it. Otherwise, the kids will figure out which teacher is armed, and the shooters are often part of the student body so they'll know, too.

The point is to keep potential shooters unsure, so they won't attack.
    Imagine this is be the same m.o. for Sky Marshalls on certain flights.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aggies Coach View Post
    Cause white people are awesome. Happy now......LOL.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by scruff View Post
    Not to mention that typical deep-concealment guns are not effective weapons against a school shooter. I'd hope they'd be carrying more than a S&W Bodyguard or Shield.
    The percentage of mass shooters that remove *themselves* from the gene pool at the first sight of armed resistance would seem to challenge your statement, at least a little...

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by internet troll View Post
    Do you envision teachers open carrying like the police, or concealed carrying so no one knows?
    CC

Do you expect teachers who are carrying to go out and try to actively engage the shooter, or do you expect the teacher to stay with their particular students and primarily protect them? With that teacher taking a shot if the opportunity arises because the shooter is coming in their room or is in their area.
    Armed teachers/administrators should only engage the threat if cornered, or their ability to escape is blocked by the threat, (i.e., #3 below for standard SIP protocol).

Shelter-in-place, internal threat:

1) RUN
    2) HIDE
    3) FIGHT

(Lycoming County)

I've been thinking about this a lot. I believe most teachers who were already CCW holders and experienced with their guns, would be very happy carrying concealed in school. I know I would if I were a teacher. The news makes it sound like allowing this puts too much burden on teachers who are already over worked, underpaid, etc. but I think pro-2A teachers would jump on the ability to do so.

My concern is this: It would be a tough decision to bail on the kids in your classroom to engage a shooter and leave your class vulnerable. But if you hunker down and protect your classroom, the shooter might come into a class where THAT teacher didn't have a gun. I think that even with poor experience and nerves going crazy, a shooter would have ample time to reload even with low capacity magazines, since everybody would be running the other way. A lot of damage could be done. If this happened I could see the anti's pointing out that armed teachers couldn't do anything to stop it.

Also, another concern would be that if a teacher somehow got assaulted in a school (not shooter related). There are some BIG kids with bad attitudes out there. I wonder if a smaller teacher if getting attacked would try to pull out his/her gun in the middle of such encounter.

I've thought about some things that could help with this. If there's only a small amount of carrying teachers, try to engineer the layout of the school so that those teachers are in ideal areas to be the most help, but unfortunately more in harms way, such as near entrances, etc. But I still think there should always be a mobile defender, like a security guard (maybe multiple), to be able to engage while allowing the teachers to protect their class, if possible.

I also think that if this is allowed, I think there should be a dress code for teachers. Lets say, make ALL male teachers wear slacks with a blazer, sport coat, whatever. It would allow them to more easily conceal, but if all the teachers wore them it would be harder for the kids to know which ones are carrying.

Either way, I'm all for it, I just hope that they plan this thoroughly.

(Montgomery County)

I agree with Gunlawyer that they should conceal and keep on their person at all times. Every situation is different. Kids are curious and in the beginning will try to figure out who is carrying but soon the novelty of it will wear off. As far as what a person should carry, anything is better than nothing. Just the possibility would be a huge deterrent.
    I have so many toys because my wife wont let me have a girlfriend.......

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by olderguy View Post
    Does your door open in or out?
    what door?
    There is no greater sorrow than to recall in misery the time when we were happy - Dante.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by scruff View Post
    It'll be very hard for them to truly conceal. Nobody notices that I carry. A teacher has all eyes on him or her for an hour at a time. Kids are curious, they'll try to figure out who's carrying. That tiny bulge when you move a certain way, or the Crossbreed clip over the belt, all the things that normally go unseen, will be noticed by the kids.

Not to mention that typical deep-concealment guns are not effective weapons against a school shooter. I'd hope they'd be carrying more than a S&W Bodyguard or Shield.

a lot of times my wife doesn't notice that i'm carrying a 1911.

as far as a shield...they make that in 45 now.
    There is no greater sorrow than to recall in misery the time when we were happy - Dante.

(Crawford County)

Once you authorize teachers to carry concealed in schools.....what do you think justifies an authority to set qualifiers on who can carry? “Shall not infringe”. Why shouldn’t the school secretary, or the janitor, or the cafeteria lady, or the art/music teacher or the coke delivery man be permitted without any qualifications? It’s their right to protect themselves also. Isn’t setting up qualifications “gun control”?

And let’s say my 18 year old son who is a senior in high school wants to establish an armoury at the school where he and other students of age can acquire a handgun to open carry or even an AR15 to open carry while he’s at school? Who can infringe on his right to keep and bear arms?

(Wayne County)

Quote Originally Posted by Williamsmith View Post
    Once you authorize teachers to carry concealed in schools.....what do you think justifies an authority to set qualifiers on who can carry? “Shall not infringe”. Why shouldn’t the school secretary, or the janitor, or the cafeteria lady, or the art/music teacher or the coke delivery man be permitted without any qualifications? It’s their right to protect themselves also. Isn’t setting up qualifications “gun control”?

And let’s say my 18 year old son who is a senior in high school wants to establish an armoury at the school where he and other students of age can acquire a handgun to open carry or even an AR15 to open carry while he’s at school? Who can infringe on his right to keep and bear arms?
    Not that I don't agree with you, but it would be a far easier argument to make that a teacher falls under the "school related function" portion of PA state law regarding weapons in schools. We can't even get state courts to agree on the "other lawful purpose" portion despite it being written clearly.
    Sed ego sum homo indomitus

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast