Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    North Carolina, formerly from PA, North Carolina

Default Re: NRA Under Fire By Partner Companies

Quote Originally Posted by Williamsmith View Post
    To be fair, the bulk of the NRA’s financial support comes from the gun industry subsidies. That membership could be dwindling is of minor concern to them. What they really look at is the total contribution. As such the NRA represents the interest of gun and ammo manufacturers; not members.
    I don't know how NRA's funding shakes out by contributor type, but I highly doubt your assertion that membership is of minor concern. The way I see it - and I think politicians see it the same way - is that NRA's power is very much tied to the number of members. Each member is a potential voter, or in fact a very likely voter. The dollars and membership are both important, of course, but being able to tell a politician that the NRA has X million members that receive magazines, emails and letters every month is quite powerful.

And if I sound like some kind of NRA shill or cheerleader, I'm not. I am a member, but I also send my money and support to GOA and SAF. I recognize what each organization does. Though I appreciate GOA's backbone and SAF's grit, the NRA has the numbers and money that makes politicians stand up and listen.
    Last edited by farmplinker; February 23rd, 2018 at 03:47 PM.

(Crawford County)

Quote Originally Posted by farmplinker View Post
    I don't know how NRA's funding shakes out by contributor type, but I highly doubt your assertion that membership is of minor concern. The way I see it - and I think politicians see it the same way - is that NRA's power is very much tied to the number of members. Each member is a potential voter, or in fact a very likely voter. The dollars and membership are both important, of course, but being able to tell a politician that the NRA has X million members that receive magazines, emails and letters every month is quite powerful.

And if I sound like some kind of NRA shill or cheerleader, I'm not. I am a member, but I also send my money and support to GOA and SAF. I recognize what each organization does. Though I appreciate GOA's backbone and SAF's grit, the NRA has the numbers and money that makes politicians stand up and listen.
    I could concede your protest that the NRA is not concerned about membership but I think it is more accurate to state that they are concerned about their ability or lack thereof to mobilize the members they have. Especially after they managed to disenfranchise many of them by actually facilitating new gun control laws.

(Lehigh County)

To be fair, the bulk of the NRA’s financial support comes from the gun industry subsidies. That membership could be dwindling is of minor concern to them. What they really look at is the total contribution. As such the NRA represents the interest of gun and ammo manufacturers; not members. My guess is that the slide fire Company failed to forward their “share” to the gun lobby or they were such a small piece of the market that the nRA didn’t care. If Colt manufactured the bumpstock and sold one to every gun owner in America......the NRA would have defended it to the hilt. Which it could easily have done because it is clearly a legal piece of plastic which does nothing to change a legal firearm into an illegal machinegun. And it is not a part of an illegal system. In fact, if you install it on an illegal machinegun.....it makes it perform like a legal semiauto or it makes it malfunction completely.
    Can you provide a source for these allegations?? I suspect not.
    Illegitimus non carborundum est

North Carolina, formerly from PA, North Carolina

I could concede your protest that the NRA is not concerned about membership but I think it is more accurate to state that they are concerned about their ability or lack thereof to mobilize the members they have. Especially after they managed to disenfranchise many of them by actually facilitating new gun control laws.
    I agree there. Their misguided attempt to straddle the fence has alienated some members. It's hard to say how many, however, as many NRA members are hunters and shotgunners who don't really care about AR rifles or 2nd Amendment purity. Those of us who frequent internet boards probably tend to overestimate the size of the "no compromise" component.

(Chester County)

Bloomberg and Soros money has been working overtime to undermine support for the NRA. They are using every possible venue with their money. 5 million NRA members and over a hundred million gun owners. It's always up to a small group of dedicated individuals to carry the weight of the many. That's something that's never going to change.
    Corruption is the default behavior of government officials. JPC

(Crawford County)

Quote Originally Posted by gghbi View Post
    Can you provide a source for these allegations?? I suspect not.
    Can you prove me wrong?

(Bucks County)

Can you prove me wrong?

(Allegheny County)

Media is ramping up the pressure on companies to cut ties with the NRA. If the left can't get what they want through new laws, they'll try to make gun owners pariahs. And it just might work because of spineless companies.

I just donated some money and bought some obnoxious bumper stickers from them.
    Any vote for a third party is a vote for a Democrat. You are the enemy.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by thebearpack View Post
    Media is ramping up the pressure on companies to cut ties with the NRA. If the left can't get what they want through new laws, they'll try to make gun owners pariahs. And it just might work because of spineless companies.

Yep. This has been the plan from the first hours of this tragic event - I picked up on the language that the media was using right away.
    I'm not much of a conspiracy theorist, but it really seems that the plan of attack that the media is taking was planned in advance.
    Whether the shooting itself was planned or not is one thing, but what I'm saying is that the media was either given advance notice that the shooting would happen, or they had this plan in place for whenever the next shooting took place, so they could run with it "as a group" - ALL of them - JUST like they have coordinated their relentless attacks on president Trump.

Media and "entertainment" - they are doing the same to US as they have been doing to the president.

To say that they are not is simply being dishonest.

Hell, even the LOCAL news had to get in that "news" about the companies distancing themselves from the NRA.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast