Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Allegheny County)

Default First CCW Gun Single Stack or Double Stack 9mm

Turning 21 soon and I should mention that I'm really short(5'3") and I'm also pretty slim. I'm contemplating getting either a single stack or a double stack 9mm. I was told two camps about carrying. 1.) Carrying a gun won't always be easy, so get the double stack and suck it up even if it makes you uncomfortable. 2.) Get a single stack because it will be more comfortable and you'll be more likely to carry your gun, maximizing your permit. In addition, I also have small hands that are proportioned to my small body, so I think that the width of a single stack would suit my hands much better than that of a double stack. I currently own a gen 3 glock 17 and can just barely hit the mag release and struggle somewhat getting a solid purchase each and every time and the middle of the first pad of my trigger finger just barely gets to the trigger without slack.

Default Re: First CCW Gun Single Stack or Double Stack 9mm

I started out with a double stack years ago, but found myself not carrying on occasions because of the size of the gun. Since I switched to a single stack I always have my gun any place I can legally carry. To me it’s better to get the gun that you will carry as opposed to a gun you won’t have with you if you ever need it.

But like everything, it depends on you. A lot of people carry a double stack and always have it with them.

(Carbon County)

most defense shootings end with 3-4 rounds fired exception; for some reason persons with revolvers usually empty the gun

0.9% go past 6 rounds, past 8 even less

I've gone to a 9mm shield with mag guts that make it hold 10+1......i'm good with that
    Ecclesiastes 10:2 ...........

I started out like most others with a Glock 19, then to a Glock 26 and I hated carrying them both no real good concealed positions for me and I was uncomfortable all the time. I went to a 9mm Shield and instantly fell in love. Put Gun on go out for the day and never have to feel uncomfortable or worry about it. My wife received her LTCF and confiscated my Shield so now I carry a G43 with a +2 Vickers mags, one in the gun the other in my off hand pocket. If I need to really keep it hidden then I use the standard flush mag with a Magguts +1 Z-spring installed. I like my clothes the way they fit now, I do not buy into the "dress around the gun" stuff in my everyday life I want to be comfortable as possible and do what I want. My pistol is just an accessories like a watch or wallet and nothing more. For the guy's that enjoy carring full size guns and are comfortable with it more power to them there's nothing wrong with that at all it's just not most people which is why so many single stack 9's are selling like mad these days.

Check out the new Sig P365 it's S&W Shield size (which by the way is an AMAZING 9mm carry gun probably the best I have ever owned) but holds 10 rounds and stays as slim as the others.

I have attached what I carry.

The greater majority of the time I carry IWB in a small Appendix holster made by Contact Concealment. When I carry OWB but still concealed (well mostly concealed) It's in a Bravo Concealment something ahhh I forget the model.

My last piece of advise is if you can Rent or try and find someone who owns the firearms your considering and shoot them before you purchase it can potentially save you a lot of headache and money.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Hodgie; February 22nd, 2018 at 10:34 PM.

(Bucks County)

Given your size, I wouldn't consider anything bigger then a Glock 43. And don't dismiss a
    380. An LCP is inexpensive, reliable and easy to pocket carry.
    It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere. Voltaire

(Mercer County)

Most important thing is to find a gun that you can shoot comfortably and shoot well. A glock 17 is just about as big as you can go in a 9mm. Right now, the Sig p365 is probably the best small carry pistol as it is about the size of a glock 43 single stack, but is a double stack with 10 round capacity. keep in mind, the smaller the pistol, the more recoil felt and harder to control. Most of the major manufacturers have a compact size polymer pistol with different back straps to help fit smaller hands. If you are willing to consider a DA/SA hammer fired pistol a CZ P01 or PCR are great pistols and most people say fit smaller hands.

(Berks County)

A small single stack that you carry is better than a double stack that you decide to leave at home because it's large, heavy, and uncomfortable.

Walther has some nice models too, like the PPS.

It's not alway easy to try/rent options. I would go to a large retailer like Cabelas or Bass Pro and handle as many as you can. You'll narrow it down to a few quickly just by how they feel. Try trigger and determine if you want striker, SA, DA, or DA/SA. Like trying on shoes.

(Montgomery County)

+1 on going to a range and renting some guns to try different sizes and calibers.
    Given your opening post, you are probably going to want to stick with a .38 or 9mm.
    You may want to consider a j-frame 5 shot revolver in .38, carried with self defense ammunition.
    I can't tell if you're a guy or a girl, but my girlfriend says the glock is too big and heavy, and she prefers shooting the s&w shield 9mm with the 8 round magazine grip extension.
    I agree that you should own something that is comfortable to carry and shoot based on your own particular preferences and needs.
    How can you have any cookies if you don't drink your milk?

(Berks County)

You have to go with what you are comfortable with. I would suggest getting the chance to try as many different types as guns as you can before deciding. With that said my personal opinion is that there is not much difference between in width between a single and double stack, the half the width of a bullet and that many single stacks have slightly longer gun butts then there double stack version. Also again just in my own opinion, I would rather have the extra capacity.

(Allegheny County)

Welcome.

If you want to do something ten thousand times better than grabbing a bunch of guns in a gun shop to get a feel for them, come on out to the group shoot in April!
    I'm sure there will be more than a few people who would let you look over what they bring and probably even let you shoot it.

Group shoot link

I'm not a big guy either and I don't really carry my G19 unless openly. It's just too thick and doesn't conceal well. Not to mention I don't shoot it all that well. There's no way I can drop a mag without completely shifting my grip to reach the mag release, so you aren't alone there.
    The G19 is the house gun, so when I started looking for a carry gun, I went for something much smaller.

Not everyone shares the philosophy that "a gun should be comforting, not comfortable." Screw that - I'm not even going to carry if it's going to cause discomfort, or looks like I have a tumor on my side.
    For many years I carried a Colt Pony .380ACP IWB (inside the waistband) and that was great. It wasn't my ideal caliber choice, but it was better to carry that than leaving the Glock at home and not carry anything.
    I then picked up a Kel-Tec P3AT (.380ACP) which became a favorite for summer carry due to it's diminutive size and extremely light weight - I can carry it IWB even in running shorts with an elastic waistband!

All that said, I recently picked up a S&W M&P Shield 9mm and a decent OWB (outside the waistband) holster and I wish I had done it years ago.
    I had actually stopped carrying anything for a while because both of the small 380s were too uncomfortable to squeeze in my waistband and I didn't really want to buy all new pants. The OWB holster setup is like heaven in terms of comfort, and the single stack Shield tucks in nice and close, allowing concealment with a Tshirt.
    I'll still need to revert to the P3AT in the summer for the most part due to the clothes I wear, but I'm really happy with the decision to forego the larger capacity of a double stack for a larger caliber (9mm) that is easier to conceal - and easier to grip in my hand.

Everyone is different though. You may find "the right one" right off the bat, but most of us don't and it takes a bit of learning as you go.

If you plan to come to the April shoot, post something in that thread. I'd be happy to bring my handguns for you to check out.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast