Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    (Susquehanna County)

Default Re: First CCW Gun Single Stack or Double Stack 9mm

Simply said.. you have to find it comfortable to hold and shoot... if it is not comfortable to hold you subconsciously won't want to carry it. It needs to be an extension of yourself

I carry full sized and double stack 9mm guns simply because I am a big guy and with those little guns I don't feel I have a good grip on them. they are comfortable in my hand..

If I was a smaller fella I would have not hesitation in carrying a LCP or LC9 or Glock 43 etc
    Retired US Army
    NRA Life Member, GOA, USCCA
    "Artificial intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity"

(Wayne County)

Personally, I love my little single stack, subcompact Keltec PF9. I don't even recall how long I've been carrying it. But jt goes pretty much everywhere with me.

I've got small hands and there are only a few double stacks that I can hold comfortably. Glock isn't one of them. Small single stacks may not have capacity, but you can easily carry a couple extra magazines to make up for it. If you do go for a subcompact 9 or .380, get a tuckable IWB holster. The value of a small single stack pistol is that, with a tuckable holster, you can conceal very easily in more slender fitting dress clothes and no one will be the wiser, even if you take your sportcoat off.
    Sed ego sum homo indomitus

(Allegheny County)

Thank you all so much for your well written responses. I honestly didn't expect to get so many replies so soon! One of my friends has been carrying the PPS M2 and given that my LGS has one for sale brand new for $325 I think I'll go with that! I will also do my best to go to the April shoot, but being a STEM major is pretty taxing haha

(Bucks County)

PPS M2 is what I currently carry. It's been very dependable at the range(100% 600+ rounds, so far). Very nice to carry. Tulster holster.

(York County)

I generally agree with what several here have said: a gun you actually carry is always better than one you don't because it's too big/bulky. It's easy to argue that 'less shots' with a single-stack is bad. It's easy to argue that a smaller-caliber lacks enough punch. But having a gun is better than not.

However, it's also very situational: what's your situation, what level of 'concealment' do you need, how do you have to dress, etc.

For my purposes a few key things: A) I don't have to conceal at work (I own the joint and carrying is allowed. Most of my employees are "MC" types who'd laugh at being told not to carry anyway.) B) I dress very 'casual' (jeans and a t-shirt is standard). C) I'm a reasonably big fellow (6' tall 200-ish) and many 'compact' guns feel too small in my hand. D) After many years of trying many positions, I carry at ~6:00. Yeah, I know all the arguments against, but that's what works for me.

My EDC guns are a VP9 double-stack 9mm and an M&P Shield .45 single-stack (with the extended magazine).

In the winter, I usually carry the VP9 OWB with a jacket or similar over it. Effectively still 'concealed' for my purposes.

In the summer, I usually carry the M&P IWB which disappears beneath an untucked t-shirt or similar.

Having said that, the VP9 used to be my only EDC and I do have an IWB for it. But I did find myself not carrying in warmer weather b/c it was just too bulky for IWB for me.
    DGAF

(Allegheny County)

An older video but it does a decent job comparing four single stack handguns...

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by middlefinger View Post

most defense shootings end with 3-4 rounds fired exception; for some reason persons with revolvers usually empty the gun

0.9% go past 6 rounds, past 8 even less

I've gone to a 9mm shield with mag guts that make it hold 10+1......i'm good with that
    With the exception of police shootings, who routinely exceed these numbers ...LOL

Are these actual stats? Where from? I’m interested in looking into this a little further for my own info

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Jkinpa1 View Post
    With the exception of police shootings, who routinely exceed these numbers ...LOL

Are these actual stats? Where from? I’m interested in looking into this a little further for my own info
    I carry the maximum capacity I can do with safety, security, concealability and comfort in mind. Sometimes that means a 13+ standard magazine and two spares... other times it's just a Ruger LC9s Pro with 7+1 and a spare mag if I can manage it.

Keeping this in mind, check out the following links... Each has their caveats, but are two references I've read in detail.

From 2012: (old but with data tables) http://gunssavelives.net/self-defens...h-data-tables/
    From 2017: (I like this one - includes other analysis) http://www.tierthreetactical.com/11-...ed-carry-tips/

Saving you some click and skimming:
    Number of Assailants

This was the most surprising to me. In 11 scenarios there was only one assailant. There were also two scenarios with 3 and 4 assailants respectively. However, incredibly, there were 17 scenarios with 2 assailants.

Prior to this analysis I would have thought that the vast majority of assaults and robberies, which is what these scenarios generally are, would have been one on one. This is simply not true!
    And for the 11 tips:
    1. Carry a high capacity weapon, ideally 8 rounds or above.
    2. Be able to access your gun with one hand.
    3. Keep your head on a swivel, checking your 6, the most dangerous area.
    4. Delay your draw.
    5. Obscure your draw.
    6. Do not engage immediately unless you must.
    7. Practice pivoting and engaging threats
    8. Practice gun grappling and one handed engagement within 3 feet
    9. Shoot from cover if available
    10. Practice shooting and moving at man sized target at 3-5 yards
    11. Validate all live training with force on force training
    "A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves." ― Edward R. Murrow

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by Emptymag View Post
    An older video but it does a decent job comparing four single stack handguns...

Good thorough and thoughtful review.

OTOH, having owned an LC9s and hated it... I can't agree with his conclusions.

I think any of these is a good option. But would go with the M&P personally.
    DGAF

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12