Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Berks County)

Default Need advice on buying hand tools. Any tool experts here?

First off, I'm fairly mechanically inexperienced/uninclined. I started riding motorcycles in the spring, and I'd really like to do as much of the routine wrenching on my bikes as possible. So far I've bolted on some accessories and done an oil change borrowing some tools from a buddy. However, I would like to be able to do most of the interval services on my own instead of letting the HD dealer rip me off. In order to do this, I'm going to need tools, and I don't know how to shop for them. I'll also be getting service manuals for my bikes, obviously.

So far, I know I'll need:

- SAE Box/open end wrenches
    - Ratchets & Extensions
    - Torque wrenches in both in/lbs and ft/lbs
    - Torx bits/drivers
    - SAE allen wrenches & socket bits
    - SAE sockets

Now, how much do I have to spend to get decent tools? I cannot see myself spending the money for Snap-On. Their prices are absolutely insane. When shopping for tools, how do I know I'm getting something that will get the job done without breaking the bank? For example, when looking at a wrench, WTF makes a snap-on 3-4 times more expensive than a lesser brand?

If any of our resident tool experts could recommend brands/stores etc for the tools listed above, I would appreciate it. Also, if any motorcycle experts notice any important tools I'm missing above, chime in there as well. I'm especially wondering how much I need to spend on the torque wrences to get decent/accurate/well built ones without spending $250 EACH for the Snap-On models.

Thanks for any tips guys,
    Dave

(Berks County)

Default Re: Need advice on buying hand tools. Any tool experts here?

I can't tell you prices but I can recomend that you at least look at the Craftsman line from Sears. They're normally fairly decent priced and they have a lifetime warranty. No matter what happens or how it fails if one of their hand tools breaks it is replaced free of charge.
    Bill USAF 1976 - 1986, NRA Endowment, USCCA

(Berks County)

Thanks Bill. I've been scoping out the Sears website a bit.

Here's another question. What's the difference between a 6 pt. and 12 pt. socket? Is one better than the other?

(Monroe County)

For the average person Craftsman will do fine. The ratcheting box wrenches are a nice addition.
    6 pt grip better but to get then in tight spots they must be moved further before you re-grip. Either will work for you.
    I have Craftsman, Mac and Snap-On. I will say on really stubborn stuff and partially rounded nuts and bolts Snap-On`s patented grip the flat side instead of the corners works well. Pick up a cheap impact driver too. (the kind you wack with a hammer)

(Centre County)

Fortunately, the torque values on a bike are rather low, so you can actually get away with Harbor Freight (Horribile Fright) tools. Chinese steel is a lot harder than it used to be.
    Also, if there's a traveling tool show that stops by your area, you can get similar stuff (Cummins Tools, etc).
    These are good for open-end/box-end wrenches, impact drivers, screwdrivers, allen wrenches, 1/4" drive socket sets, torque wrenches, bike lifts, air tools, impact sockets, socket extensions, calipers, etc.

A few better quality items that I do recommend are:
    Knipex Cobra pliers
    Craftsman 3/8" drive socket set

(Luzerne County)

The nice thing about tools is that you can add them as you need them. One bit of advise as far as craftsmen tools go. The sell them in sets or separate. if you decide on the set pay attention to the sizes in it. They sometimes skip a size.
    troll Free. It's all in your mind.

(Susquehanna County)

Go with Craftsman. For the homeowner/motor hobbyist they're as good as you'll ever need and you can't beat the gaurantee! Break it, take to any Sears store and they GIVE you a replacement.

As long as you're talking SAE or Metric you'll be fine, if you need a Whitworth set to maintain your BSA that's a little different.

(Cumberland County)

I like craftsman, if you break it you take it back and get a new one.

Also like snap on, and some of teh kobalt line is good. Really like the kobalt sockets they have easy to read sizes on the side of the sockets.

(Berks County)

+1 on the Craftsman tools for the casual "wrencher". They're reasonably priced and if they break/fail for any reason you just walk into the Sears and say "um, it broke, need a new one", and presto!... new tool.
    "Political Correctness is just tyranny with manners"
    -Charlton Heston

"[The Constitution preserves] the advantage of being armed which Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation...(where) the governments are afraid to trust the people with arms."
    -James Madison, Federalist Papers, No. 46.

"America does not go abroad in search of monsters to destroy." [sic]
    -John Quincy Adams

"I believe that banking institutions are more dangerous to our liberties than standing armies."
    -Thomas Jefferson

Μολών λαβέ!
    -King Leonidas

(Allegheny County)

yet another vote for craftsman here. snap-on would be nice, but much more expensive and, personally, i find craftsman tools work fine (unlike, in my experience, the super cheap tools you find in autoparts stores.)

also, i'll cast a strong vote for 6pt rather than 12pt sockets/wrenches. having both is the way to go, imho, but, if you only have one set, go with the 6pt.

having only 12pt sockets will lead to rounded off nuts and bolts...especially if you are talking about working on a car/truck that has been on the road awhile.

and you will want a can of kroil (imho, the best penetrating oil on the planet) to go along with your wrenches.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast